What's the best tablet for a Phantom 3?

Nexus 7 2nd gen,nexus 9 or nvidia shield are the only android tablet choices in my opinion. I just bought a shield and couldn't be happier. I was using a Samsung tab 4 and its like going from a Honda to Ferrari . Amazing

I have a shield tablet and I honestly prefer my iphone6plus over it. The screen is horrible in the sun even with a hood. It also seems to lag a lot, and I get the dreaded GAPPS pop up.

Anyway, it could be my tablet but I'm not impressed with the shield tablet at all, probably give it to my son or sell it.

Really, that surprises me a lot you haven't had much success with your shield . I only use mine for the pilot app and have no other apps on it but zapper task killer and I frequently do factory reset

I use the first gen Nexus 2012. Works great using it only for Pilot app. I use the tweaks found in this forum and have not had one problem.

I have a Samsung galaxy tab 4 10 inch . Is there a trick to get it to fit in the holder . I can squeeze it on but the micro usb input is blocked by the clamps and the channel for the cord is not wide enough to fit the cord through and still be able to plug it in. Maybe I'm missing something I can do to get it to work. Thanks in advance
I bought an extender bracket online and that is great. Before that I used a piece of aluminum strap I bent to hold in the top bracket and the ends hooked over the top edge - you could do the same with a piece of coat hanger as a temp fix. I also shaved some insulation off the sides of my micro-usb so it would fit through slot in the bottom bracket. (Not happy with my Tab 4, however, and looking to get a more powerful tablet that will match the performance of my Note 5.)

I bought an extender bracket online and that is great. Before that I used a piece of aluminum strap I bent to hold in the top bracket and the ends hooked over the top edge - you could do the same with a piece of coat hanger as a temp fix. I also shaved some insulation off the sides of my micro-usb so it would fit through slot in the bottom bracket. (Not happy with my Tab 4, however, and looking to get a more powerful tablet that will match the performance of my Note 5.)
Like some other people have said the three best choices are nvidia shield ,nexus 9 and the nexus 7 2nd gen. If you're using Android those are the only 3 to use in my opinion.

Hello, I am looking into getting a phantom 3 but I was wonder what tablet brings the best experience. I know what tablets are compatible but, I heard once on a YouTube video that apple tablets have much smoother video feed than android tablet.

Thanks
hi mate
i bought the nexus 9 tablet which performs great as a tablet but when i use it on my phantom the video feed is choppy ,,, i also use a ipad mini 2 which is much better but i cant do screen record .

Reactions: matwom
Most Android devices don't work well right out of the box. So, I'd suggest you try those tips before buying another device.

I often seen people say the Shield works well.

Reactions: matwom
Most Android devices don't work well right out of the box. So, I'd suggest you try those tips before buying another device.

I often seen people say the Shield works well.
my nexus 9 is wifi only so will it make any difference because when i fly i have no connectiion anyway?/

My Samsung Tab S2 9.7 32GB LTE Android 5.1 works great "right out of the box" for my P3P, without making any significant configuration changes. My Note 5 works great and it is my every day phone with tons of junk installed and running, I just like the bigger screen of my Tab S2. (My older Tab 4 works great as a tablet and even to stream video, but just not enough processing power for my P3P. )

Last edited:
I have the iPad mini 3...it would be PERFECT! EXCEPT...I can't see a THING in daylight despite the use of a monitor hood. Living in the South, with all the sunshine, you can see my problem! Other than that small problem, my iPad mini w/wifi and cell service is great! Smooth video feed (in the dark that is...LOL!) perfect size, no problems.
I just got my P3 and it did fly today..using an Ipad Mini 2..my only trouble is i have no camera view on the device and it is telling me I am disconnected..still flying but i wonder what i ma missing to not get any sight..

Try a different cable?
Thanks Albert. Strangely enough the included cable did not connect to the input on my iPhone 6 Or the I pad.
Doesn't fit I read in another form that using the phone or iPads own original cord into the USB would work and while it didn't connect the device so that I could fly I still have no visual

I just picked up an Air 2, 64 Gig w/Cellular, and a charging stand for $500. Got it from a lawyer friend who always has to have the latest and greatest, and then hardly ever uses it. It's the only tablet I have ever used with a Phantom. so I can't give any comparison type of advice. But my experience with the Air 2 has been positive. I've never had a problem seeing the display in bright sunlight, and it will edit 4K video just fine. Original retail for this setup was right at $900. That charging stand is not something I would have considered if it wasn't included in the deal, but I really like it as I use it a lot more than I thought I would.

Just thought I'd pass along that Sam's Club and I think Staples (although most retailers price match these days) has the Air 2 at $150 off of retail. It's marketed as a pre black Friday type of thing, but probably has more to do with Apple getting ready to come out with the iPad Pro. Might be a good time to look around for a bargain as folks start dumping their "old" technology (I think the Air 2 has only been out for about a year) to get the latest and greatest. I'll take last years latest and greatest at bargain basement prices anytime.

I agree - I upgraded my mini 1 to a mini 4 GPS version. Has all the bells and whistles plus works great with Autopilot, but I can't see the screen at all here in SoCal during the day - so I'm restricted to early morning and evening flights. Bummer.

I agree - I upgraded my mini 1 to a mini 4 GPS version. Has all the bells and whistles plus works great with Autopilot, but I can't see the screen at all here in SoCal during the day - so I'm restricted to early morning and evening flights. Bummer.
Sit in the car or in a shaded are--- I have been out over a mile sitting in my pickup with the ac running and good LOS.

Sit in the car or in a shaded are--- I have been out over a mile sitting in my pickup with the ac running and good LOS.
Thank you for the suggestions.
I am still in the crawling stage. I am stunned by how well this thing flies.
I want to know those controls like my limbs

Reactions: bobmyers

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl