What's the best SD card to use for 4K video?

I have found when I shoot with a Sandisk 64 Ultra class 10 card that when the clips span, I loose frames on the second clip. When I use 16 gb U3 card that came with the Phantom 4, I don't loose frames. I have a new 64 gb Extreme U3 card that I'm going to test today for the clip spanning problem.

I did some research online and based on that, I purchased 4 x "32GB Sandisk Extreme Pro microSDHC UHS-1 Card". I use them in my P3P and in my DSLR (with adapter) and they have been working perfectly. Current US price on Amazon is $26.74

Reactions: AndrewCCM
I use a 32gb Lexar and 64gb PNY, both are very good.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I'm actually a bit surprised to see so many people using 64GB cards! I prefer to use 16 or 32GB cards so I can put a fresh one in for every flight.

A 16GB card has more than enough capacity to record video in 4K @ 30fps for more than 30 minutes.

For me, this practice has already paid off. I recently had a crash in water on my 3rd flight of the day. If I had been using a 64GB card, I would have lost all the video I had recorded during the first 2 successful flights when I crashed during the 3rd flight.

With the difference in cost between 32GB and 64GB cards being so low these days, buying 64GB cards may be the right call - especially if you're going to press them into double-duty and also user them in a DSLR or another device - but my advice is to buy enough of them so that you can use an empty one for each flight and minimize your losses if you are ever the victim of a fly away, serious crash or water landing.

If budget is an issue for you, get 12 16GB cards instead of 3 64GB ones.

Last edited:
Reactions: msinger
Sandisk Ultra cards are usually priced decently (online) and do the job admirably. You can often find 128GB cards for surprisingly low prices if you google around for a bit.

Got a Lexar card , but havent tried it on the P4 .
Based on that chart the P4P will require a UHS Class 3 card to write the 100Mb/sec H265 4k. That requires 750MB per minute so a 16GB card will only yield around 20 minutes. So a 32GB UHS-3 card is what I would consider ideal and since I have 3 batteries coming I will get 3 cards to swap when I swap batteries.

Reactions: RobertJ
I have a 256GB card I received from Samsung when I got my Note 7. I used it in my P4P. It DID work, however it constantly told me I need to format it. Now, I use a 64GB- also Samsung- and it works fine.

Greetings. I bought my P4 some weeks ago, and I tried taking videos at 4K first, but videos were freezing, then I tried 1080p at 30 fps and one time videos were good, but today the videos were freezing too. I have the default Sandisk that DJI puts on P4: SanDisk 16GB Extreme U3 Micro SDHC, which is a class 10. Can someone help me?. Is it something wrong in my settings? Thanks in advance.

Greetings. I bought my P4 some weeks ago, and I tried taking videos at 4K first, but videos were freezing, then I tried 1080p at 30 fps and one time videos were good, but today the videos were freezing too. I have the default Sandisk that DJI puts on P4: SanDisk 16GB Extreme U3 Micro SDHC, which is a class 10. Can someone help me?. Is it something wrong in my settings? Thanks in advance.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XX29S9Q/ref=twister_B071R715MZ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I tried taking videos at 4K first, but videos were freezing, then I tried 1080p at 30 fps and one time videos were good, but today the videos were freezing too
Try copying the videos from the memory card to your computer before you attempt to play them. If the videos are still freezing on playback at that point, then your computer is likely too slow or you're experiencing some kind of issue with the application you're using to play the videos.

Try copying the videos from the memory card to your computer before you attempt to play them. If the videos are still freezing on playback at that point, then your computer is likely too slow or you're experiencing some kind of issue with the application you're using to play the videos.

Update: The problem was the soft I was using for videos on my Mac, videos are good even in 4K. Thanks for your help

I think the Sandisk that came installed is good. I changed video quality from 4K to 1080p thinking that 4K was too much, but I just changed back to 4K and will try again. I’ll post my results.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl