What's the best flying options when sight is blocked ?

AAC

Reaction score
My friend asks me to take aerial video of his lakeside facing house but there are 100 ft high tall trees between house and lake side.
I know I can manually fly it high and set it to GS waypoints flying paths around his house and lake for easy job.
However, GS Waypoints mode is not able to fly and recording video horizontally (left-right-left-right) along lakeside after flying over tall tree in front of house. Then, I can think of Course Lock flying under GPS mode but what can I do if signal between RC and PV2+ are blocked by tall tree while it's flying behind trees and I lose sight with the bird ?
If signal is lost but GPS remains at least 6, can I click fail safe to bring it home ? how to lift my bird way up to get rid of 100 ft tree on its way home automatically ?

I'm sure that others will chime in with a technical solution, but in the example you described, I'd just get a boat/canoe.

You can launch the vision plus from land so that it will fail safe return to home on land if something goes wrong, but then zip out on the lake where you will have a clear line of site.

Oh and set your return to home altitude way above those 100 foot trees (versus the 65 foot default)

Oh and set your return to home altitude way above those 100 foot trees (versus the 65 foot default)

I know I need to do that but how ? Once I click down to failsafe, it returns automatically, do I have the option to adjust altitude ? I never do it before. please advise.

You need to set the RTH altitude before it enters into fail safe mode. It's best to do that before you take off.

And, keep in mind that the RTH altitude is the altitude at the home point -- and not the location where the fail safe kicks in. So, if you're flying in an area where there is a hill, you'd probably want to set the RTH altitude from the ground at the home point to the top+ of the tallest point of the hill.

Simple ... reset your home point to a safe altitude above the trees.
Fly to the desired height above your safe home point - S2 switch 5 times - watch for fast flashing green to confirm.

Meta4 said:
Fly to the desired height above your safe home point - S2 switch 5 times - watch for fast flashing green to confirm.
I haven't tried this, but I read this no longer works with the latest software/firmware.

The current DJI smartphone app has a "Current RTH Altitude" settings in the "Settings" section. This can only be set while connected to the Phantom though.

msinger said:
Meta4 said:
I haven't tried this, but I read this no longer works with the latest software/firmware.

The current DJI smartphone app has a "Current RTH Altitude" settings in the "Settings" section. This can only be set while connected to the Phantom though.

That would be very poor indeed.

What are P2nv pilots supposed to do?

N017RW said:
What are P2nv pilots supposed to do?
Set the RTH altitude to something higher than the planned flight prior to takeoff?

Well the 'companion' problem to that is re-setting the home point location in flight. ;)

Any suggestions for that one? :lol:

Set the RTH altitude to the distance from the lowest point you'll be flying to the highest+ possible point. It's not rocket science ;)

No you're right, it's not rocket science nor did you answer the question.

How do you then reset the Home Lock location or position in fight then?

And to be clear-er... not the altitude.

As I said before, they are 'companions'.

N017RW said:
How do you then reset the Home Lock location or position in fight then?
Since the new dynamic home point feature resets your home point to the GPS location of your smartphone every 2 seconds, I'm assuming that means your home point will be at your current location on the ground.

To answer your question, you might need to downgrade your firmware.

Ok I admit I vectored this thread...
...but my original comment was basically in response to the fact that someone stated the S2 option to reset the RTH height may be gone in 3.08.

I then said, basically, that sucks for P2nv pilots then.

So I guess this fact (P2nv) got lost in discussion.

If the S2 is disabled there is no recourse for P2nv pilots to reset the Home Point in flight.

I hope you understand what I'm saying.

Right -- I'm following.

It does suck that they removed the feature to reset the home point to a point above the ground. The point that I was trying to make though is you probably don't need that feature if you properly set your "Current RTH Altitude" before you take off.

I just reset my RTH altitude to 100ft in 3.08. Haven't tested it yet cause I still hit trees on every flight.

I have a 500 acre field that just baled cotton next door, so I'm going over there tomorrow to fly without trees (quad magnets!).

fly safe

WW

msinger said:
Right -- I'm following.

It does suck that they removed the feature to reset the home point to a point above the ground. The point that I was trying to make though is you probably don't need that feature if you properly set your "Current RTH Altitude" before you take off.

First, I don't know that it's true (S2 disable).

Second, you're NOT following... it's not about the altitude- it's the location, location, location!
(X-Y, Lat. - Long., etc.)

Peace out.
(No hard feelings BTW)

I just flew yesterday with the latest firmware and established my home point by toggling S2 five times and got the rapid confirmation flashes. Works the same as it always has.

Thanks. ;)

I would have been surprised to find they had disabled it.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31