What's More Important for FPV, the camera or the monitor?

Reaction score
I'm beginning to think, after about three years of flying, that the camera is as important as the mobile device screen. It seems like the P3A camera for one just doesn't let enough light thru to the screen to produce a good crisp easily visible display.
I get a clear crisp bright image on my Samsung TAB4 on most any application but not when doing FPV. I've even built a full hood for it with a peep slot in the front but the image on the screen seems so dark that its difficult to use as a viewfinder for shooting video or stills.
I thought perhaps the brightness of the tab4 is somehow reduced when in the confines of the hood but the exact opposite would seem to be indicated.
Any thoughts on this, guys?

Last edited:
I'm beginning to think, after about three years of flying, that the camera is as important as the mobile device screen. It seems like the P3A camera for one just doesn't let enough light thru to the screen to produce a good crisp easily visible display.
I get a clear crisp bright image on my Samsung TAB4 on most any application but not when doing FPV. I've even built a full hood for it with a peep slot in the front but the image on the screen seems so dark that its difficult to use as a viewfinder for shooting video or stills.
I thought perhaps the brightness of the tab4 is somehow reduced when in the confines of the hood but the exact opposite would seem to be indicated.
Any thoughts on this, guys?
Your assumption that P3 cam doesn't allow enough light to mobile device for crisp image is totally incorrect. Screen gets a digital signal and not light. Digital signal has full capability to show what it contains. Its sunlight that fades away the screen of mobile device and even sun shade is not that effective. If you use goggles, you will see the brightness. Alternatively one should use monitors that are designed for sunlight and they have high nits like 1000 cd./m2. They are expensive and not justified with P3 unless price drops to few hundreds dollars.

Doesn't matter. There is a 3rd component that you are forgetting and that is the video transmitter. You can have a 4k camera and a 4k screen but if you're transmitting 480 you're only gonna see 480. That's why I laugh at everyone wasting their money on DominatorHD. Unless you're using light bride or connecting to your bluray player, you're not getting HD.

Now the new PV3 and 4 change all that. With the HDMI board and lightbridge you should get a true 1080 picture.

The camera is everything. If you don't have a good, clear, crisp picture to start with, it doesn't matter whether you're pushing ten watts on the transmitter and have a high-end monitor.

If the video from the SD card looks good the camera can't be the issue.... The downlink is only 720p. It's the weakest link in the chain. As for brightness are you confident you have the camera set for EV comp 0? You may be underexposing in which case it should look less bright than optimum.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4