What's maximum power of 900mhz have you used on Phantom 2?

Reaction score
I want to get a sense of what is maximum amount of power I can use for a 900mhz video transmitter mounted to the Phantom 2 (non-vision). I've seen some videos on YouTube of 800mw being used. But, has anyone gone higher than that (e.g. 1000mw or 1500mw) on a Phantom 2? I don't want to introduce radio interference with the 2.4ghz radio control. Thanks!

Re: What's maximum power of 900mhz have you used on Phantom

any particular reason you aren't doing your FPV in the 5.8Ghz band like most of us? a 500-600mW transmitter with premium antennas can exceed the operational range of a P2 on a single battery, so there's no reason to throw more powerful transmitters at it.

Yes, first of all, I've already tried 5.8ghz and I've got great range. I have a 2000mw Boscam video transmitter. And, in order to keep up with the video, I installed a 2000mw 2.4ghz RC booster by modifying my Phantom controller. My problem is that if even a tree gets in the way or I want to fly down a little lower, I don't have good signal, even at 2000mw, and that's a huge amount of video power. I've already tried different antennas. I tried helical, SpiroNet, Patch antenna, in different configuations, and even a Black Pearl Diversity LCD receiver. I know 900mhz does better with obstacles, so that's why I want to know, if you want to know.

Now, back to the question...

:)

I suspect it's your antennas but you're right that lower frequencies do better with penetration so...
to answer your question you've already run a 2000mW transmitter on the Phantom, just switching that transmitter from 5.8Ghz to 900Mhz still shouldn't interfere with your 2.4Ghz control signal

Cool! Good to know. I've gone out over a mile with my current setup with 2000mw video transmitter. So, I guess I'll have to report back here once I install it and test it out. I am planning on taking off the props and then going a long distance and making sure RC interference doesn't exist. I'm thinking about buying a SMA extension cable so I can mount the 900mhz antenna below one of the props as far away from the 2.4ghz as possible. This should be fun.

So, if I DO get RC interference, is the Phantom 2 smart enough to just execute a RTH, or will it fly around sporadically in circles?

... I'm sure I could go more a lot more than a mile currently, it's just all that I've happened to do so far. Only owned the Phantom for 3 months.

QYV said:
I suspect it's your antennas but you're right that lower frequencies do better with penetration so...
to answer your question you've already run a 2000mW transmitter on the Phantom, just switching that transmitter from 5.8Ghz to 900Mhz still shouldn't interfere with your 2.4Ghz control signal

Well, now I know. A 1000mw, not even as high as a 1500mw, 900mhz transmitter will knock out GPS the second it is turned on. This is even with a tin-foil modification to the GPS to shield it from underneath. I even tried a different antenna on the Tx and wrapped the transmitter itself in tinfoil, but not luck. I'm going to try a 500mw next.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20