What would you do?

Reaction score
Up here (Canada) you need a Special Flight Operations Certificate to fly a drone in Controlled Airspace. One of the places I REALLY wanted to fly is in Class D Airspace (from surface to 4500 feet) so last spring I took the UAV ground school, went through the 32 page SFOC application, got $1M insurance, and got my SFOC for that location. I flew at that location ONCE but last weekend was the big event I wanted to record.

In the early afternoon during the event I saw someone with a Phantom 2 getting ready to fly there so I went over and told him that it was controlled airspace and he told me it was okay because he wasn't going above 500 feet. I told him the controlled airspace started at the surface and he said I was wrong and proceeded to fly. He took off, flew FPV (which is not allowed in Canada), and flew higher than I ever would have that close to an airport!

I was SO F'ING STEAMED that I was tempted to "drop a dime" on him but didn't. I didn't even take my Phantom out of the case. If there was some a@@hole violating the airspace, I didn't want anything to do with it.

I found out later he was a commercial photographer and when I mentioned the Class D airspace again, he said "It doesn't matter now." which gave me the impression he didn't give a **** about regulations or safety.

I am still STEAMED! Some of us jump through hoops to be safe and legal while others just ignore it all and do what they want.

Would you have reported him?

Yes, if he is that ignorant of the rules, he is probably a BIG safety risk as well.

Absolutely would have reported him. He's endangering others.

Reactions: Falcon900
You better believe I would have reported him! It's jerks like him that have made so many rules and regulations take affect and give quads a bad name! and he could have done some damage as well if something had gone wrong... further instigating the bad rap we get!

Where in Canada are you? I ask because I;ve been looking for insurance myself, but I;m striking out with local providers, Allstate & a few others.
I;ve been in touch with the hourly people who advertise here, & they haven't made it North of the border yet.
Question- Class D airspace- This is within airport limits?

I know how to report accidents but where do you report ignorance?

Reactions: pomonabill220
I know how to report accidents but where do you report ignorance?
Call the closest Flight Standards District Office (FSDO) and ask to talk to an Aviation Safety Inspector (ASI).

Da dime droppa!
Dime Dropper.jpg

Some people have no respect for other or the rules. It's the new "I don't give a flying fish" attitude these days.

Where in Canada are you? I ask because I;ve been looking for insurance myself, but I;m striking out with local providers, Allstate & a few others.
I;ve been in touch with the hourly people who advertise here, & they haven't made it North of the border yet.
Question- Class D airspace- This is within airport limits?

I am in Manitoba. I joined the Model Aeronautics Association of Canada for their insurance.

Yes, the area in question is only 3 Km from an International Airport and between two approach/departure paths. The airport also serves a number of helicopter operations including aerial applicators and passenger traffic.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers