What would you do?

Reaction score
I was vacationing with my family in Destin, Florida this week and wanted to bring my P4P but chose not to because all of Destin is in Class D Airspace (Destin Airport and Elgin AFB). Yesterday evening we were at the Beach taking family photos and sure enough, someone was flying a Phantom 4 Pro.

At first i wanted to approch the pilot and ask him if he knew he was flying in Class D Airspace and if he knew he needed authorization to be flying his Drone. I chose not to approach him thinking maybe there was some chance he miight have authorization. I had been drinking most of the day and was afraid I might come off as a know it all and didn't want to rain on their party especially since he was mostly just hovering at about 15 feet around his family. But then he started zipping up and down the beach at about 20 feet and and at one point stopped and hovered over my family at about 15. That is when I was fairly certain he was uninformed of the rules and regulations. But I stil chose not to approach him. Besides my drinking, it was our last evening in Destin and I ust didn't feel like taking the time away from my family. Or at least the amount of time it would have taken to have a conversation without being confrontational.

But later that night I started wishinng I had said something to that guy. It was my first ever opportunity to help inform someone about Drone Regulations and I kinda feel like I blew it. I feel it is my responsibility to help educate the uninformed community in order to help preserve the future reponsible use of drones.

So let me hear ya, what would you have done?

I think you did the right thing considering a self-assessment of your own personal situation was considered, the situation could have easily escalated. At the same time I would have been a bit miffed if someone hovered a drone 15 feet above my family. I still think you played it smart.

I was in a similar situation back in April. Visiting El Morro Castle in Puerto Rico and saw a guy flying a Mavic, Federal Park AND in Class D airspace.

I recently saw aerial photos of a property for sale in my neighborhood. The realtors website had his picture with his Phantom hovering next to him. There was no mention of any pilot certification so I suspected that he was just another realtor who was not informed about the requirements.

I called him and told him what I had seen and said, "just a heads up, in case you're not certified as a sUAS pilot you may be at risk". He said he was, but when I asked, "oh, do you fly under part 107 or do you have a 333 exemption", he said he didn't remember.

The conversation was very cordial and he thanked me for the call.

Two weeks later, I looked at his site and his picture was changed. No drone. I don't know if he was legit or not, but if he wasn't I think it was a good discussion to have. Education is important, and for those who think no one is looking getting a call lets them know someone is.

Even if he was taking away business right in my back yard, I wouldn't have reported him, but hopefully the friendly call did the trick.

For the most part unless I feel very comfortable with the person or the situation I wouldn't confront them. Unless it is an emergency, a call to the authorities is the way I would handle it. If there is a law, regulation etc. regarding the behavior that also means (generally) that there is an authority who is responsible for enforcing it.

We are all taught as kids to not be "tattle tales" or "rats" but reporting something that you believe is wrong is the right thing to do. Sometimes you do have to take things into your own hands but that should be the exception rather than the rule (nowadays).

Agreed about the tattle tale thing. I don't like being that kind of guy. And the intention would not be to get someone in trouble unless they were knowingly puttting people at risk. In this instance, it really wasn't that bad. And I really didn't feel unsafe for the breif moment he hovered over us and was not concerned about the privacy thing either. Perhaps I was jus a little jealous that I didn't have my drone with me. :)

I am studying to take the knowledge test for my certification and am admittedly a little conflicted about why we can't fly our drones less than 50 feet off the ground in a situation like this. But I tend to be a bit of a conformist. And I think those of us who are aware of the regulations owe it to the community of responsble flyers to teach the uninformed as long as it can be done cordially. I was just not in a good state of mind at the time to do that.

Agreed about the tattle tale thing. I don't like being that kind of guy. And the intention would not be to get someone in trouble unless they were knowingly puttting people at risk. In this instance, it really wasn't that bad. And I really didn't feel unsafe for the breif moment he hovered over us and was not concerned about the privacy thing either. Perhaps I was jus a little jealous that I didn't have my drone with me. :)

I am studying to take the knowledge test for my certification and am admittedly a little conflicted about why we can't fly our drones less than 50 feet off the ground in a situation like this. But I tend to be a bit of a conformist. And I think those of us who are aware of the regulations owe it to the community of responsble flyers to teach the uninformed as long as it can be done cordially. I was just not in a good state of mind at the time to do that.
And kudos to you for realizing that. Smart decision.

I was vacationing with my family in Destin, Florida this week and wanted to bring my P4P but chose not to because all of Destin is in Class D Airspace (Destin Airport and Elgin AFB). Yesterday evening we were at the Beach taking family photos and sure enough, someone was flying a Phantom 4 Pro.

At first i wanted to approch the pilot and ask him if he knew he was flying in Class D Airspace and if he knew he needed authorization to be flying his Drone. I chose not to approach him thinking maybe there was some chance he miight have authorization. I had been drinking most of the day and was afraid I might come off as a know it all and didn't want to rain on their party especially since he was mostly just hovering at about 15 feet around his family. But then he started zipping up and down the beach at about 20 feet and and at one point stopped and hovered over my family at about 15. That is when I was fairly certain he was uninformed of the rules and regulations. But I stil chose not to approach him. Besides my drinking, it was our last evening in Destin and I ust didn't feel like taking the time away from my family. Or at least the amount of time it would have taken to have a conversation without being confrontational.

But later that night I started wishinng I had said something to that guy. It was my first ever opportunity to help inform someone about Drone Regulations and I kinda feel like I blew it. I feel it is my responsibility to help educate the uninformed community in order to help preserve the future reponsible use of drones.

So let me hear ya, what would you have done?
Just to clarify, Class D only requires authorization for Part 107 flying. If you are just hobby flying, you come under the Model aircraft rules to 'notify' airports of your intention to fly. Now, admittedly, there are likely some other airspace issues around Eglin (don't have a sectional with me at present to check). But no problem with the Class D.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic