What would it cost to build from scratch?

Reaction score
Imagine that someone wanted to build a quasi vision 2 from scratch.

What would it cost for the guts? Not interested in the airframe, my 3D printer and some carbon fiber tubing could do that, but the electronics.

I have a radio and WI FI booster, along with batteries so I would be looking at everything inside a vision 2 airframe. Think of it as a winter project, maybe the better GPS puck, but the same low end motors and stuff inside that makes me like my vision 2.

As an A&P, tool maker and home shop machinist, I have seen many schemes to lighten airframes and would like to play with the guts of a Vision to see how close the engineers got it for weight and flight time with the off the shelf model.

I am not ready to commit my toy to cannibalization, but spare parts seem cheap, if I knew what I needed I may fab something.

Anyone want to collaborate? 3D printing and design takes time for the first parts, but then it is as easy as hit the button and get another. In other words the first one costs $$$$ the next $$ and the third costs $.

I can design and prove a cheap new, light airframe out, but need help with what to mount in it.

I have always admired gyrocopters and want to add a pusher prop to my vision, but I love it too much to cobble it, if I had a throwaway, I may go crazy.... Think of a 60 MPH vision.

I won't volunteer my vision, but have been having the same idea. One thing I'd like to know is if the use of ducted fans instead of rotors could help payload or increase flight time at the current weight.

If you Wiki your last question it reports there is greater efficiency in some cases by up to 94%.

However the added weight, drag, and surface area would somewhat detract from that.

But no prop guards needed, and, possible elimination of VRS???

Now my engineer brain is circling with possibilities. I have been unable to find both CW and CCW ducted fans. Anyone know where to get one? I am thinking put all the Vision 2 functional hardware on a build your own rig substituting appropriate fans in place of the props. The flight controls may be OK.

I finally found counter rotating EDFs (electric ducted fans). They are huge at 70mm+. They also put out huge thrust (1.8kg / 4lbs each) and draw huge amounts of current. Much too large for a Phantom sized craft. Still on the prowl for smaller fans, maybe 30mm-50mm. I am guessing that half diameter = 1/4 thrust. This will also mean smaller fans.

i am thinkgin DJI F450 as a base for the copter. Would need to modify the arms to mount the fans.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj