What would cause p3p 4K video mode only to stop working?

Reaction score
So I went flying with the DJI Go app and found I was unable to switch to video mode. When I touched the icon for it the screen would show no video image nor was I able to start the record button.

When I switched back to still camera mode the camera worked fine and I could see through the lens on my tablet and take still shots.

I tried the reset button under the camera menu but that just changed the settings back to default. I reseated the two cables from the camera to the body but that also did no good. Finally, I deleted the app on my iPad and reinstalled it but no difference. My P4 works just fine on the same iPad though so I think the issue is on the P3P bird.

Any thoughts? Here is a screenshot from my iPad when I press the movie camera icon.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1458689961.365176.jpg

Check the FW installed on your P3 and report back.

I get the same response in Litchi - regular camera works, just not video mode.

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1458690928.597525.jpg

Let me try a different route here -- who can I send my 4K camera to for testing and or repair?

Have you tried changing the camera's setting? After the 1.7 update I did the camera had switched to record MOV files. When I got home I could not play them on my computer via the card. I have since switched to MP4 and all is well with the world again. Worth a try?

Tried that then and again just now. No luck. Thanks for the idea though.

Try no SD card at all.
Swap RC USB cable.
Messed with hardware decoding in GO? (this might be gone now actually)
What's your Aircraft Status -> Gimbal Status?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
Same response. Marks like it should include photo mode but no image in video mode. After 20 seconds or so after moving the slider to video mode, it automatically falls back to photo mode on its own. Gimbal status looks fine and I keep resetting to defaults.

Basically it can only be one of two things. Hardware problem or software problem. Hardware we can not really help you with for obvious reasons.

Software though is different. Personally I would completely uninstall the DJI app. I do not mean just delete it. Use one of those software uninstallers say from iorbit etc. Ensuring there are no reg entries left etc. Re-start computer. Re-install DJI app. That way you will know if it was some glitch in the DJI software or not. Even if it does not work at least you will know what is not a problem. Narrowing everything down bit by bit.

My other thought was the Lightbridge program. I suspect though that is bundled in with the DJI app? Feel sure thought that someone will be along to correct me if I am wrong.

Let us know how you get on. :)

I don't have the pro, only the advance so i can't compare but in the pic of your Go app it looks like you have video settings of 4k, 2.7k and 1080p.
I didn't think the pro did 2k7 video.
I think it's it's a firmware issue on the phantom.
Have you tried the lower resolution like 1080p.

I don't have the pro, only the advance so i can't compare but in the pic of your Go app it looks like you have video settings of 4k, 2.7k and 1080p.
I didn't think the pro did 2k7 video.
I think it's it's a firmware issue on the phantom.
Have you tried the lower resolution like 1080p.

It is not app issue as Litchi has the same issue. It looks that aircraft FW was installed correctly for the camera. This can be done by downgrading to FW 1.6, check video works and then upgrade again to 1.7. Aircraft FW has : parts, one for P3, one for camera and one for battery.

Is there steps to downgrading? This is a P3A replacement body using the 4K camera from my old P3P with the 1.7 P3P firmware.

Is there steps to downgrading? This is a P3A replacement body using the 4K camera from my old P3P with the 1.7 P3P firmware.

I think there lies the problem. Definitely sounds like some sort of firmware mismatch between the camera and aircraft.

I'm up to date there.

Has anyone here opened up a 4K camera before? Is there any user serviceable parts inside like loose wires or the like?

I'm 99% sure the problem is in the camera. I thought I could take still shots but it appears no image is being saved in the app or on the SD card so all I can really do is watch where I'm going through the app -- no photo or video possible.

Also, is the camera the exact same as the Phantom 3 4K so they would be swappable if I could find a used one?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers