Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

What would cause IMU error and need for recalibration

Discussion in 'Standard/4k Discussion' started by Wade Nield, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Wade Nield

I have not had my Phantom 3 4K for long so have logged only about 10 flights. I did the firmware update when I first got it and everything has been working perfectly. On Saturday I attempted to fly the drone from my boat which was underway at the time I was warming up the bird. I kept getting an IMU error message so had to wait until we got to dry land where I could sit the drone on a flat service while it did the update.

Just trying to figure out if it was the movement of the boat during warm-up that was causing the error. Any thoughts?

2. Storm

Probably the motor on the boat causing electromagnetic interferences. I drive a truck and I run it for the a/c and have to be at least 15' away from truck before I can calibrate

3. Great_Lakes

Could be the boat motor, but the movement of the boat during warm-up makes sense too, considering what the IMU is and what it does. Just my opinion.

4. N017RW

The IMU senses motion in 3-axis. If you were moving at the time of warm-up it would sense this. It is not normal for there to be sensed motion during warm-up.
    It has nothing to do with any possible magnetic interference as that is the domain of the magnetometer (compass).

5. Storm

Forehead bump for me! Ya, I was thinking compass and not IMU, my bad! Ok, what is an IMU, lol

6. msinger

Approved Vendor

7. Storm

Thank you

8. ryantrax

Agreed. The quad needs to be stationary during warm up. Even gentle rocking of the boat could cause an IMU error, but will definitely cause it if the boat has any forward movement.

9. RodPad

I like this one,
    IMU Calibration