What will happen on Jan. 7 now?? Is there MORE??

Hi Tommy. The Vision will have a firmware update as well as an update to the Vision phone app to provide "groundstation-like" capabilities. All done within the existing app. The app you downloaded is for other aircraft in the Phantom range and requires additional hardware to be added to the aircraft to pick up the instructions from the iPad. The Vision already has a built-in telemetry and data link so we won't need anything additional. We'll almost certainly also only get a subset of the Ground Station features, so don't get too excited by the shiny things on there yet.

Tentative screenshot of our app to come on display here: http://www.dji.com/phantom-2-vision-wil ... abilities/

Hmmmm. I was getting excited about the part where you could program the Phantom to go where you put "Waypoints", and pretty much let her rip on her own. Sit and have a cocktail, and wait for her return. That was the Ground Station draw for me.
I've yet to get my new Phantom off the ground yet. Gotta do the shopping for the week. When I get back, then it's over to a park to see if I didn't screw something up trying to hook up the "Assistant" to my stuff.

Thanks for the info, Pull Up!

I still think we'll be able to do that, to a certain extent. There'll possibly be a max range limit, but the screenshot implies touch to add waypoints, choose the order and then press "go". As long as you keep the range extender pointed at the aircraft you could probably still have a mojito while you wait for it to come home!

Remember I have no inside track on this, I'm just speculating based on the limitations/features of the Vision set-up and that DJI screenshot of what will presumably be available from a new menu item in our app or from within the camera screen.

What I'd really love for it to do would be to fly the programmed route by itself while you still have full camera control for shutter, tilt and....(holy grail) yaw too?! You could have waypoints around a specific thing (say a ruined tower or something), let the Vision fly itself in a nice regular pattern around it while you yaw to keep the camera on the target.

So am I missing something?? DJI announces a new firmware to do the waypoint integration - YET - does not post said firmware so people can get to it? Everything on their site EXCEPT the release notes is dated December 2013... Or is this just a marketing teaser to say "some day soon we will release this update and let you know...blah blah blah"

bellumgessi said:
So am I missing something?? DJI announces a new firmware to do the waypoint integration - YET - does not post said firmware so people can get to it? Everything on their site EXCEPT the release notes is dated December 2013... Or is this just a marketing teaser to say "some day soon we will release this update and let you know...blah blah blah"
I think that someone accidentally posted it early on the Facebook page and it was pulled quickly. The other alternative is that it was a hoax that got pulled down. I am still waiting for ppdrone to send us a link.

According to http://www.dji.com/category/news/ DJI announced on dec 4 the Adobe RAW DNG and Ground station capabilities would be comming soon.

On the other hand, the only signifficant change around jan 7 is that all videos starring Colin have been removed, or am I missing something?

/Terje

Phantom 2 vision + any camera it will carry :)

ppdrone said:
Apologies for delay....here comes what was posted by someone on Facebook...not NOT official DJI facebook page.
Lets try this. Hope it works:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxDcuI ... sp=sharing
Certainly looks official. Let's hope that CES got them too distracted to load the new firmware onto their website. I would certainly like to see full waypoint availability through the iPad instead of the iphone app.

talking to Atlanta hobby yesterday, they're saying it has been pushed back until late January now.

Last I heard, it was pushed back as late as mid year.

When they get this behind, it tells me they are working some issues out, but more then that, possible delays due to new product launches. They only have so many people working on firmware dev. they likely don't shrink and grow with every little project, so to be efficient they keep the team running at near 100%.

This is just a guess, but this fits in nicely with the ADHD nature of DJI.

:)

I am pretty sure since they are a consumer company with a consumer product line they are not going to allow the aircraft to fly autonomously without some sort of connection between itself and the pilot. They would have too much of a risk for liability and lawsuits. People would be trying to fly them all over their town and land them at their friends houses and what not.
If you want to do that sort of thing it's best to just build one yourself using parts from eBay and getting arduflyer controller which uses groundstation support. Then strap enough battery juice to let it fly where you want. That way if you crash it into something you can't sue anyone. hahah

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20