What will failsafe do without a GPS fix?

Reaction score
What if my drone is above sea and looses both GPS and 5.8 GHz control?

Will it:
- go with the wind until there is a fix and then RTH?
- or immediately try to land?

Most devices only need 3 satellites for a GPS fix. Is that true for the Phantom as well? I always assumed the 6 threshold was to be on the safe side.

cryptoron said:

Will it:

Most devices only need 3 satellites for a GPS fix. Is that true for the Phantom as well? I always assumed the 6 threshold was to be on the safe side.

In the absence of GPS and TX , it will land, or sea if you prefer...

I believe someone answered this in another thread but I haven't seen it in the manual or from DJI. It's been said that it will land where it's at the time it goes into failsafe assuming there is no GPS signal.

It's in the P2V+ manual.

Pages 41, 42.

cryptoron said:

Will it:

You need 4 satellites with a good spread to get a good fix. More satellites ensures a better spread and better quality fix.
A 2D fix with only three satellites is not something you can rely on.

I'm wondering how you could lose GPS over the sea. You are going to have an unobstructed sky from horizon to horizon . That's the place where you will have the best GPS coverage. I think this hypothetical situation just isn't going to happen.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20