What went wrong?

Reaction score
hello guys!

wanted to know exactly what happened last night when I took my PV2 straight up to 1300ft. usually around that altitude my drone loses control signal and it did and usually goes into RTH mode. but this time it went into RTH mode and it just stayed up there.it was night time so i was still able to see it very well and noticed the flashing RTH lights did not descend as it should have. I tried flipping the s1 switch back and forth to get out of RTH mode as i usually do but nothing worked. it just remained at 1300ft for an agonizing 15 min. i thought the battery was eventually going to die and it was going to come crashing on me. eventually i got it out of RTH mode and descended it and everything was fine but i dont want this to happen again especially if I'm flying long range with my FPV cutting off.

I did a compass calibrating and was flying on GPS mode with 7+ satellites btw. and also during one of the times i was flipping with the s1 switch i noticed my left stick was locked down in position, not sure if it had anything to do with this.

any help is appreciated.

Why would clicking switch to RTH work when it's out of range to begin with? What altitude do you have set for RTH? Good thing it was out of range and didn't get the left stick down (motor cut off) signal?

rexster314 said:
Why would clicking switch to RTH work when it's out of range to begin with? What altitude do you have set for RTH? Good thing it was out of range and didn't get the left stick down (motor cut off) signal?

well it wasn't out of range completely. it would go in and out.

either way it should have started descending as my RTH is set to 200ft and my drone was stuck at 1300ft.

Wait, what were you doing at 1300 feet?!

rexster314 said:
Good thing it was out of range and didn't get the left stick down (motor cut off) signal?

Left stick down only cuts off the motor when it's a few feet off the ground. CSC cuts it no matter where it is.

landmannnn said:
Were you straight up - in other words was it above your head? Asking because the antenna in the phantom leg would then be pointing straight down to the transmitter

yes exactly i had it pointed straight up so i had the controller tilted.

are positive it was really at 1300 feet the whole time and not really just descending but looking like its still up high? cause it takes forever to come down now that dji cut back the decent speed and I have noticed any thing over about 1000-1200 feet it will not even look like its descending intill its about back down below 1200 or so feet. even when ascending it dont seem to look like its going any higher or getting any smaller when it starts just looking like a light blinking.

J.James said:
are positive it was really at 1300 feet the whole time and not really just descending but looking like its still up high? cause it takes forever to come down now that dji cut back the decent speed and I have noticed any thing over about 1000-1200 feet it will not even look like its descending intill its about back down below 1200 or so feet. even when ascending it dont seem to look like its going any higher or getting any smaller when it starts just looking like a light blinking.

yes positive it was 1300 ft because i was watching it on the vision app. altitude was actually between 1345-1355 for about 15 min as it was stuck on RTH mode.

bbfpv said:
rexster314 said:
Good thing it was out of range and didn't get the left stick down (motor cut off) signal?

Left stick down only cuts off the motor when it's a few feet off the ground. CSC cuts it no matter where it is.

i don't know about that, every time i descend i let the left throttle all the way down to lock and it just comes down. i never had the motors cut out. only time the motor cuts off is when the bird lands or when i hand land it.

GoodnNuff said:
You can see the RTH light from 1300 feet away?

when its pitch black dark outside and the bird is above your head. yes.

moswissa said:
J.James said:

yes positive it was 1300 ft because i was watching it on the vision app. altitude was actually between 1345-1355 for about 15 min as it was stuck on RTH mode. i was starting to panic as i was running out of options to bring it down. i tried the s1 switch. maybe the bird lost some satellite signals??

bbfpv said:
rexster314 said:
Good thing it was out of range and didn't get the left stick down (motor cut off) signal?/quote]
It's not hard to understand folks.
Left stick down will make your Phantom descend at a slow 2 m/sec. If the stick is held down for a few seconds after touchdown, it will shutdown the motors. Shutdown a few feet above the ground would be a pretty stupid feature and besides, the Phantom has no idea how far above ground it is.

For the OP ..
Not sure why yours parked up there but straight up is always the worst angle to get a good signal to your bird and there's no wqay to direct the antenna to make it work. At that distance it's going to be even harder.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20