What was your first experience in bad wind?

Reaction score
Mine was last wekend. My dad and I drove to a park that was perfect for flying. Big open field, and lots of joggers to freak out.

My dad had a friend that wanted to see it, so we waited for him to arrive.

Now, it seemed like a perfect day. Then the wind started to pick up. I would guess maybe 15 mph at least.

Not only did I have to fly it in winds like that, I had an audience I had to please. Oh, and I left my glasses at the house (My eyesight isn't that bad without them. I really only wear them at school and when I fly.), so I had difficulty seeing the light on the back of my FC40.

Luckily (and suprisingly), the worst thing that happened was when the wind blew it over while I landed. The props just got a little dirty.

I wish I had the camera on there. In my crash (Posted a vid on here), the camera mount fell off. I was able to recover everything but a screw, and haven't gotten around to ordering one yet.

Flying is a little different when ya got an audience eh Youngblood ;)
You hang in there ! :)

Added / Take the screw ya still have to the hardware store and ya might can get one there ;)

Hey General, I hope anyone who reads this thread can learn from our mistakes, but then again, sometimes it takes getting hit over the head before you REALLY learn.

My experience comes from about a month ago in the late afternoon. I was flying out to a lake, which can only be accessed by going over swampland. On the return trip, I looked behind me and what had started out as a gentle to brisk breeze, was getting a little rough. I looked up at the sky and there was a razor sharp line of black clouds accompanying a cold front that was racing toward me. As the wind continued to increase, up to about 25 to 30 mph in last couple of minutes, I started to get worried as the Phantom was heading directly into the wind on its home leg.

Short version, now it was in sight, but that wasn't necessarily good news. The bird was oriented toward me and trying to get home, but the wind had increased to 35 to 40 mph, and I was getting that sick feeling in my gut, as the bird was still over the swamp. Finally, during short lulls in the raging wind, it got close enough to land (auto-crash had already been triggered due to low battery) and was bouncing around like a pogo stick. I finally got it down and learned one good lesson...

DON'T FLY WITH A FRONT APPROACHING! ;)

Later General, and fly safe...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers