Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

What video format to export in

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fdnyfish, Oct 10, 2014.

1. Fdnyfish

Jun 6, 2013
    I have been exporting to FLV using Adobe premiere 12, the FLV format was removed in version 13.

Comparing the FLV file to the MP4 file, the FLV was 75% smaller.

What settings do you guys use to export?

1 like 1080p @60 fps

Mp4, avi, mov, we've, I'm so confused.

Then there is nitrates.... Yikes
  2. Joel_t

Apr 4, 2014
    Where do you want your final video to go to?

You have many codec options. For web I'd suggest a H264 codec in either a Quicktime or MP4 wrapper.

I know Premiere has many presets for places like Vimeo and Youtube to make it easy for you.

FLV is a highly compressed codec and rarely used anymore (hence the exclusion from Premiere). I personally would not be exporting flash based video.

Do you want it to play in real time at 60fps or slow motion at a more common framerate? (25 for PAL regions and 29.98 for NTSC)

If it is an export for local playback or archiving I'd stick with either uncompressed or a codec suited for this purpose. Something like a ProRes 422 or even ProRes LT might do what you want. Remember that original is only H264 so don't go too crazy.

Bitrates will be automatically chosen if you pick a preset but for a fairly small but good quality 1080p H264 video I'd go around 8000 - 10000kbps.

You can also choose a variable or fixed bit rate depending on what you want.