Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

What to do with this battery? After a crash :-(

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by RudydG, Dec 28, 2015.

1. RudydG

I bought a P3A second hand, with 2 good batterys (i thought)
    After some flights, i had a major crash, drone just lost all power. Props and gimbal broken.
    Gimbal is repaired, i have a 3D printer, and could print the broken gimbal arms, and of course a new cable.
    I don't have a receipt, so warranty was at least "difficult", and i repaired it myself, now i am on my own ;-)
    Battery was 100% on start, 98% on crash, less then a flight minute later.

The complete log is here:

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

I could see that this battery gave many critical errors.

Also a log of another flight (no crash, but still questionable):

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

My 2 other batteries are fine, no errors there.

The crash happened the day before the new firmware came out. Unlucky me probably. Seems this is the solution for these errors.

Now i am in doubt to use this battery anymore. But it is almost like new. But would the new firmware not take care of this problem? (oh yes, forgot, i also discharged it until 8%, did not cure the errors)
    I flew a couple of times with this battery since the repair, everything seems fine.

What would you people do?

Greetings and a happy newyear!

#1 RudydG, Dec 28, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
  2. Keith Lampman

I'll give you $25 for the old battery

3. Mark The Droner

Personally, I would deep discharge the questionable battery, recharge it, take a look at the cell disparity, and then decide whether to retire it or keep it.

4. WetDog

I don't get it. According to the 'general' section of HD, your battery started out at 100%, ended up at 98%. According the detailed cell analysis, your battery started out below 3.4 V which is the usual STOPPING point for LiPO battery use. Did you start flying on a nearly dead battery?

5. RudydG

Battery is like new. Was fully charged night before. Also, no errors during take of or this short flight. And the voltage was only so low on that 1 flight. My later flights all gave "normal" readouts, but still with critical errors.
    I am also puzzled.

6. WetDog

That is weird. If I understand the Healthy Drones log, you STARTED OUT with a dramatically flat battery (that another sensor reading interpreted at '100%'. Your rather short, eventful flight makes perfect sense in light of the low voltages. I would also think the HD would flag those voltages in some way.\

Confused as usual.

7. RudydG

Yes, it seems that way, but i never knew that it was so low, for me it was fully charged, bird gave me ready to fly GPS,(after warming up IMU), and battery was 100% on screen. no sign whatever, not on screen, not in the lights, nothing. So strange.
    And in the log you can even see the battery starting so low! Why did it never gave a warning (i flew at 100% up and 100% to the front), what i always did in the past, with P2 and now P3.

And i only knew about this whole situation, after the crash, and only then i learned about the healthydrone site, otherwise, i would still not be aware of the battery fault.

My biggest problem now is, i lost confidence, which i always had in the past, my P2 never gave me such problems.

8. RudydG

I did this (1 time down to 8%), but still get critical errors in healthydrones analyses. no problem on dji go app. (but that was also not the case during the crash)

9. RudydG

Update,

As i have no clue what happened, why on earth 100-98% on the display, while the voltage drops below 3V!!!, and the fact that i still get critical errors on that battery, checked with healthydrones, i decided to retire that battery, buy a new one, and enjoy flying again.
    If i can revive the battery, meaning no more critical errors in the logs, i will use it again.

Greetings,

Rudy

10. MattyDread

Sell it to Keith - then he will have 16 batteries