What to do with days old batteries?

Reaction score
So according to many on this forum your not supposed to use a charged battery if you haven't used it in a few days.

Well what are you supposed to do with the 100% charged batteries that are sitting around for a few days and haven't started discharging yet? I tried connecting it to the charged before use, but it doesn't start charging it because it is already fully charged.

You need to turn it on before connecting the charger ... Just as if you were powering up the P3 but without inserting it.

Are you saying I need to ALWAYS turn it on before charging? Or are you saying you do it in cases like this?

No, just in this case.. Fully charged, then left for a few days but not auto discharged yet. Consider it a 'top up' method

how long is too long for them to sit without use after being charged?

They don't like to sit fully charged for too long, but it depends on what's been set in the app. Default is 10 days and I wouldn't go beyond that. I have mine set for auto discharge after 2 days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They don't like to sit fully charged for too long, but it depends on what's been set in the app. Default is 10 days and I wouldn't go beyond that. I have mine set for auto discharge after 2 days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
+1 on the 2 day discharge.

OK, so in my case. I charged them 7 days ago. They have not auto discharged yet (not 10 days yet). I plug them in and nothing lights up because they are still supposably fully charged.

So I would.

1. Turn on the battery with 2 presses
2., plug in the battery.

Then what? Will it turn off automatically again when it's fully? How do I know its even charging?

As soon as it starts charging then all four LEDs will blink in sequence. When done they will all turn off. In other words, just like the end of a normal charge.

Ah ok. so if its actually still fully charged , it will turn off automatically in X seconds/minutes?

You can read the Exact current battery capacity, of all your batteries in the Go App.
Your radio controller battery level is also in the app. For a good reason.
Have you "all-ready" read the Intelligent Flight Battery "Safety" Guidelines. Reread.
Are you doing a soft battery break in? Flying down to only 50% the first ten flights, and after twenty full charges, draining the battery down to 8% then back up to 100%. Some say it don't matter, while many others feel it's a Safer way to begin an intelligent flight battery, life cycle.
Are You ready? ;-)

RedHotPoker

So according to many on this forum your not supposed to use a charged battery if you haven't used it in a few days.

Well what are you supposed to do with the 100% charged batteries that are sitting around for a few days and haven't started discharging yet? I tried connecting it to the charged before use, but it doesn't start charging it because it is already fully charged.
This is news to me. If my battery is full I fly, it doesn't matter if its been a week or if it just got done charging. Is someone going to say the power gets stale or something? I've had no issues with my 3 batteries doing this. I know you are not supposed to store them for extended periods of time in a fully charged state, which why they are shipped new at about a 50% charge, but see no harm in flying with any battery that is fully charged, no matter when that charge took place.

Intelligent flight batteries discharge over time, the limited time is Ten Days or less if you have that time point set for that battery in the app.

It's important to begin flying with fully charged batteries so that you have time to react, when they reach Your preset Warning Level. If you fly out a good distance, and the batteries are already drained down to 50%, when they reach the Warning, will you still have enough juice, left, to make it back to home point. Either it engages RTH or it's landing. So, which ever the scenario, are you going to be ready, if it's still too far away, and you have lost control? Fly with full batteries, it's simple to turn on the radio, drone and app, check each of your flight batteries and know where the charge is well before you wander off to your favorite haunt.
"Better to be safe than sorry." Saying, used to say, ;-)
It doesn't take long to top off a battery.
Do it now. Check them in the app. A good habit. Hahaha

RedHotPoker

Reactions: Phantom George
What am I missing here? There has been multiple threads on people crashing because the battery goes from charged to empty out of nowhere. Immediately people start blaming the user for using a battery that wasn't just charged in the last 2 days and not knowing better. It's not that the power gets stale. It's that power is leaked and the battery (including in the app) doesn't recognize this until a significant current is drawn.. Which happens shortly after flying your drone away from the ground.

I'm just going off what I have read multiple times on this forum. I'm a bit surprised that so many people are replying having no idea what I'm talking about

What am I missing here? There has been multiple threads on people crashing because the battery goes from charged to empty out of nowhere. Immediately people start blaming the user for using a battery that wasn't just charged in the last 2 days and not knowing better. It's not that the power gets stale. It's that power is leaked and the battery (including in the app) doesn't recognize this until a significant current is drawn.. Which happens shortly after flying your drone away from the ground.

I'm just going off what I have read multiple times on this forum. I'm a bit surprised that so many people are replying having no idea what I'm talking about
I don't know but can only speak to my own experience. Where does DJI recommend only using batteries charged in the past 2 days? People come up with the strangest things to explain their crashes.

But I subscribe to what RedHotPoker just said -- just top your batteries off before the flight, certainly can't hurt. But I find after a week or so in storage after a charge my batteries are only down 4-5% at most, therefore starting the flight at better then 95%. And I've not observed strange sudden drops in the %, seems to be linear and predictable no matter the starting point.

I think what you are referring to is when a partially discharged battery (about 50% or so) is used some people have experienced the battery going to critical (the bird is landing) in a matter of about 2 minutes. So don't go flying with a battery already half discharged is the moral of the story.

So according to many on this forum your not supposed to use a charged battery if you haven't used it in a few days?
What am I missing here?
You are taking things too seriously.
Not everyone expressing opinions in online forums knows what they are talking about.
You have to be selective in what you accept.
Well what are you supposed to do with the 100% charged batteries that are sitting around for a few days and haven't started discharging yet?
If your batteries were charged just a few days ago, they'll be fine.

I'm a battery expert, so listen to me. It's simple, push the button one time on your battery. If it flashes 4 bars solid then go out and fly. The battery doesn't have memory, it doesn't know how long it has been left uncharged. It just knows how much power it has.

Reactions: dwcola
I'm a battery expert, so listen to me. It's simple, push the button one time on your battery. If it flashes 4 bars solid then go out and fly. The battery doesn't have memory, it doesn't know how long it has been left uncharged. It just knows how much power it has.
I agree with most of what you say. Just fly it if its full and don't worry about how long its been since it was charged.

However, you are incorrect about the battery not having memory. They do, in fact, know how long its been since the prior charge and record additional statistics including number of times charged. These are fairly sophisticated units as far as batteries are concerned and more then a simple chemical battery; they have circuitry and a micro-controller and indeed have flash memory. This is how they "know" to auto-discharge after a certain number of days.

The problem is whether or not the batteries are smart enough. A theme that percolates through the various crash threads is that the battery's ability to sense the true amount of power left can be compromised in certain ways. One of them is to partially discharge a battery, then leave it in that state for some unknown period of time, but typically more than one day. Then fly it, thinking you have over 50% but in reality there is much less.

Hard to know, the available telemetry just doesn't tell you enough. But something is happening.

Probably aliens.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers