What to do when the controller won't upgrade?

Reaction score
I got the Phantom firmware upgraded easily enough. It went perfect just as the videos suggest and pdf's suggest.

So, the next step is to put the card in the card reader and plug it in the usb port on the controller, then turn the controller on. I should get a red light followed shortly by a blue, until it gives the long and two short beeps and the light turns green.

My problem- When I turn the unit on after inserting the reader into the usb port, I get the red light, but it just stays red and nothing happens. Left it for 20 minutes with nothing. I took out the card and checked to see if it wrote anything to it, but got nothing.

I tried a new SD card just to make sure that the reader is working and it is. Controller is fully charged.

I don't see any other posts that address this.

Any ideas?????

PH

Try using a usb stick direct rather than an SD card via a reader.

It didn't work using the USB stick, but while googling for an answer I came across this (don't know why the search feature missed it)
Try using a usb stick direct rather than an SD card via a reader.

That didn't work either.

Controller firmware is updated via the DJI GO app, not by card. What version are you on at the moment?...1.5.70 is the latest.

I did find this while googling the question and I came up with this. I don't know why the search feature missed it.

P3 Firmware - HOW TO: Install Phantom 3 firmware

I connected my phone to the controller and used it to download the update and it installed.

Although it says my controller is on v 1.5.70 and I put 1.6 xx on the bird, it is showing the status as good and not requiring an update, so I figure I'm OK unless some one can show otherwise.

Now, on to the next step....Uh, what is the next step???

Controller firmware is updated via the DJI GO app, not by card. What version are you on at the moment?...1.5.70 is the latest.

Just found this out and updated it via the phone app. Guess the videos I have been watching were for previous versions, because they were using the sd card to update the controller. Ah well, no harm, no foul.

Depends how old the controller is - l purchased a separate RC in its original sealed box. It was old stock and had FW 1.2 on it and l had to install 1.3.0.00 before it would allow me to update the FW via DJI app to 1.5.70

I had two days of frustration as my RC wouldn't update but three good guys from the forum got me up and flying. Great forum for help.

Just found this out and updated it via the phone app. Guess the videos I have been watching were for previous versions, because they were using the sd card to update the controller. Ah well, no harm, no foul.
Glad you did your research and found out that we can no longer update RCs via USB if we are on the latest versions. As you discovered, many of the videos out there are well outdated, so care is required. Great job!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic