What to do when I lose GPS?

Reaction score
What is the best thing to do when I lose GPS lock?

Ideally, I suppose I should learn to fly the thing in non-GPS mode. However, I don't see any way to intentionally get into non-GPS mode. It seems to fly the same way regardless of where the S1 switch is set--and that is in GPS mode. So, how do I learn to fly in non-GPS mode?

Given that I can't fly well at all in non-GPS mode, what is the best thing to do if I lose contact with the satellites?

Hello,
I'm no EXPERT, to the best of my knowledge
Should go like this.

( I'm using DEFAULT OR FACTORY Settings )
These toggles can be personalized, to do different things,
I'm going by what it would be set to out of the box or default!
( using the latest firmware ) I'm not sure that matters?

Always SWITCH BOTH TOGGLES UP, before turning transmitter. ( Tx. ) to ON.
( left switch is IOC ( Intelligent orientation control )
( right switch is Flight Mode )
LEFT switch UP is OFF position
RIGHT switch UP is GPS Normal Mode

THEN START PHANTOM. ( 1) controller, 2) range extender , 3) phantom, and 4 smart phone app/wifi hook up
Lift off

now once in the air, SWITCH RIGHT toggle to MIDDLE position,
This setting is GPS-ATTI mode ( this setting still uses GPS, but relies LESS on GPS, and MORE on user input ( You )
GPS NORMAL relies MORE on GPS less on user input!
( bottom function or toggle down ( return home feature )

This way you will be flying more, GPS less. ( right toggle MIDDLE )

If you lose GPS, DO NOT PANIC, give it a bit to reestablish GPS LOCK! ( mine loses signal occasionally as we'll )
( JUST MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A GOOD ( HOME POINT ) LOCK, BEFORE TAKE-OFF!

When you lose GPS, it will feel like ( GPS-ATTI ) mode, with a bit of drifting, up and down movement, and such, still easy to control, if you do ever get concerned, just land, turn off motors , wait till signal is regained, and lift off again, but remember, both toggles up upon liftoff, then change, don't land because GPS signal lost, and forget you are still in ( GPS-ATTI ) mode, and then lift off again, without changing them! I'm not sure why this is? But many have warned about lifting off in any other mode?
Maybe a professional here can shed a bit more light on this?

Ps: just so you know
LEFT toggle:
Up= OFF
MIDDLE= Corse Lock
Down= Home lock
( corse lock= this means whichever way your phantom is facing, with corse lock on, forward will be AWAY from you, even if the phantom camera is facing you ( it will fly backwards, although you are pushing up on the stick, another example: say the phantom is sideways from you facing your left ( you looking at the SIDE of the phantom ) you press up, the phantom will fly right ( sideways AWAY from you, I knows forward is AWAY, so whatever direction it is facing? It will fly away from you ( when I say FLY AWAY FROM YOU, I mean direction ( NOT FLY-a-way! ( forever ))
Now
Toggle DOWN:
This is HOME LOCK:
I'm not 100% sure, but I think if you switch the LEFT toggle 8-10 times ( same as you would do on RIGHT TOGGLE for compass cal )
It will RESET your home point!
( NEVER DO THIS IN FLIGHT ) try to reset home point in flight!
Always perform this action BEFORE TAKEOFF, or land ,reset, and take off again!
( again this is how I took it, but I think I'm right. )
If any of this is incorrect, please feel free to correct me! )
Hope this helps

I believe in NAZA-m mode, ( PC assistant ) you can probably do a lot more, like he replied above , turn GPS off?
I have never messed with NAZA-M BEFORE, so I cannot offer assistance there!
Jerry D

Jerry what you describe above as factory defaults is actually NAZA-M mode!! The IOC controls on S2 are only available in NAZA. I am wondering if yours came out of the box already in NAZA?

As far as flying non-GPS, in Phantom2 or NAZA mode, when you are already in the air, switch S1 to the middle position. This will put you in what's called ATTI mode (non-GPS). Practice flying like this on purpose in case you do lose sats. Also the copter will default to this mode if sats are lost and S1 is up.

One thing I would add to all that goodness you said, BE CERTAIN YOU HAVE GPS HOME POSITION ESTABLISHED BEFORE LIFTING OFF. In Phantom2 mode this is indicated by a set of rapid flashing greens. In NAZA mode, this is indicated as the second set of rapid flashing greens.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.