What to do when a helicopter shows up

Reaction score
Today I was in an open trail area flying near the foot hills hear in Southern California. I was out 1900 feet and up 150 feet when I started hearing the faint sound of an helicopter. In a matter of a minute or so he's all most over my head. I do not know what elevation he was at but it sure seemed to be under 400 feet. I think he saw me because he did a 360 circle continued going west and away from me. What's the normal elevation that copters fly at? What's the best thing to do? Is it better to drop the elevation or to hold my position (In other words not move from original location)? Or is there any other actions that could have been considered?

This happened to me a couple of weeks ago. The helo came over a ridge without any warning well UNDER my copter. Fortunately I knew he was below me - I gunned it up anyway and spun it around to try and get some video - just got 10 secs worth before he was gone.

I had a similar incident today. Was taking an aerial video of a horse farm. I was at 400 feet when a low flying airplane flew into my area and did a couple of circles. I guess they where interested in the same horse farm. I immediately went full descent, really scarey.

I've only been in a helicopter a few times. Are helicopter pilots trained to avoid small objects like birds? Is there a rule, similar to boating, where in the situation of a potential collision, it's understood that each craft does a particular maneuver? (in boating, I think each is supposed to go the right).

same thing happened to me about a month ago...I was up maybe 250 feet when i heard a heli....i started to descend when all of a sudden i saw the copter trying to swoop down on my phantom...He was so low that all my trees were blowing like i was in the middle of a hurricane...I live near a very small airport that alot of small private planes and heli's use....The pilot was obviously trying to destroy my quad....I was wondering the same thing as to what the regulations are as to how low they can fly over a residential area...Had i been higher the result may have been alot different, as it would have taken longer to get under 100 feet..This same heli has hovered over my house a few times since this happened....

cappy24 said:
same thing happened to me about a month ago...I was up maybe 250 feet when i heard a heli....i started to descend when all of a sudden i saw the copter trying to swoop down on my phantom...He was so low that all my trees were blowing like i was in the middle of a hurricane...I live near a very small airport that alot of small private planes and heli's use....The pilot was obviously trying to destroy my quad....I was wondering the same thing as to what the regulations are as to how low they can fly over a residential area...Had i been higher the result may have been alot different, as it would have taken longer to get under 100 feet..This same heli has hovered over my house a few times since this happened....

I'd definitely film that and send it to whatever relevant authority. That helicopter pilot is crazy to think you are being the irresponsible one by "teaching" you a lesson like that.

Wasn't there a recent video where a helicopter on a beach took a Phantom out of the sky with its prop wash?

i have my cam ready to film him hovering quite low over my house...so of course he hasn't been back ...after labor day heli's and private planes diminish quite a bit....i would really like to have a chat with the pilot to see if he's pissed off or just playing...have no clue..

cappy24 said:

While the actions of the the helicopter pilot are unjustified (and unsafe), I'm curious how close you are to the airport. I think if I were within a couple of miles of an airport (regardless of size), I would venture further out before taking my drone aloft...much less to 250 ft. One wouldn't think that a helicopter pilot would be flying at such a low altitude around homes and such though.

Dweezil said:
cappy24 said:

While the actions of the the helicopter pilot are unjustified (and unsafe), I'm curious how close you are to the airport. I think if I were within a couple of miles of an airport (regardless of size), I would venture further out before taking my drone aloft...much less to 250 ft. One wouldn't think that a helicopter pilot would be flying at such a low altitude around homes and such though.
i just googled it, the airport is 12 miles away from me....i highest i have ever gone is 400 feet..

I was out at a marina in a valley swooping down to get a great view of the boats. A crop duster came over the edge of the valley making an extremely low pass. I don't suppose it was really all that close but it felt like it at the time. I don't think a drone would really pose any problems for a helicopter or plane.

cappy24 said:

Holy ****, did you do anything about it? Why would he try to destroy your quad, was it a misunderstanding where he thought you were messing with the airport?

If that isn't enough I can't believe he has stalked by hovering over your house since it happened. Shouldn't you report that guy?

Dweezil said:
cappy24 said:

If it's a small airport it probably isn't on that DJI restricted fly zone list.

helishmeli said:

I'm sure it isn't. But everyone should keep in mind that just because DJI doesn't show an airport on their list doesn't mean it is safe or that you are allowed to fly at certain altitudes near an airport. Look at MacArthur Airport on Long Island on Google Earth. It is a major airport with commercial airliner jets flying in and out on a regular basis - yet DJI does not include it on their list of detected no-fly zones.

MapMaker53 said:
helishmeli said:

I'm sure it isn't. But everyone should keep in mind that just because DJI doesn't show an airport on their list doesn't mean it is safe or that you are allowed to fly at certain altitudes near an airport. Look at MacArthur Airport on Long Island on Google Earth. It is a major airport with commercial airliner jets flying in and out on a regular basis - yet DJI does not include it on their list of detected no-fly zones.
so as i stated i am 12 miles away from a very small private airport....so how many miles away is considered safe flying at an altitude of 250 feet??....

Sounds like you should be fine there.

cappy24 said:
MapMaker53 said:
helishmeli said:

so as i stated i am 12 miles away from a very small private airport....so how many miles away is considered safe flying at an altitude of 250 feet??....

Just look at Section 6.2 of the Phantom manual. Shows graphs of how high you can fly in areas of restricted airspace near airports.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj