What to do after a crash

Reaction score
Searched the forum, but can't find anything on the subject listed.

I am in Singapore for another week and was looking forward to flying some more during the two days off from work I have coming up. But, today while flying just outside of my hotel, I noticed my P2V displaying some erratic behavior at about 400'. While I was taking photos, it began to drift in one direction causing me to steer it the opposite. After it did it a second time, I started bringing it back down. I was at about 100' at the point that one of my motors seized in flight. It started tumbling straight down to its death, landing on it's back.

I have had this craft for just under 30 days and NEVER crashed. I routinely do the basic call and compass calibration, I always wait for green, etc. etc. I flew yesterday with no issues, but today is a different story. I have already contacted my dealer in hopes that DJI will do something about replacing the motors and airframe, etc. There is no reason for the motor to have stopped mid-flight. Upon crashing, the one motor was hot enough were I have a minor burn on one finger from trying to take the prop off. The rest of the props would only come off using the wrench. The threads on all the motors are ruined since the spare props I have will not go on at all.

From what I can tell, I need a new airframe, camera cable, four props, and four motors since the threading is ruined. The other factor is the electronics. I don't know what may have been messed up on the board and I don't have the tools here to take it apart. When I try and turn the P2V "on" all I get is a steady beep (1x second) - this is the same sound I was hearing after the crash. Since the cable to the camera is broken, I cannot power up the cam to finalize the video (which might have captured the seized motor).

Final note - I tried connecting the Vision to my computer and it does not recognize it at all...

With all that being said, is there any sort of guide for what to do/check after a crash - and how to do those checks?

Attachments

• 1800439_10201594232879469_71647282_n.jpg
    1800439_10201594232879469_71647282_n.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 1,051
  • 1604742_10201594233199477_906536222_n.jpg
    1604742_10201594233199477_906536222_n.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 1,046
  • 1459667_10201594234279504_1028630769_n.jpg
    1459667_10201594234279504_1028630769_n.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 1,039
Send copies of all the pictures and your full description to dealer and to DJI direct. It sounds like it's a cut and dried motor failure which shouldn't happen this early which implies manufacturing defect. I would be asking for a complete replacement unit under warranty if I were you.

Pull_Up said:
Send copies of all the pictures and your full description to dealer and to DJI direct. It sounds like it's a cut and dried motor failure which shouldn't happen this early which implies manufacturing defect. I would be asking for a complete replacement unit under warranty if I were you.

That is exactly what I have done... Just have to wait for the reply at some point tomorrow due to the time/date difference. Besides that, I won't be shipping from over here... Wish DJI would be involved in this and just replace the thing via an authorized dealer here.

Guess there is no "checklist" of what to do after a crash though?

I had a similar incident about 6 weeks ago (bad crash after battery failure). My dealer was useless, but DJI came thru. Did a complete re-build under warranty...but they don't respond very promptly. I waited two weeks on an e-mail response, another two weeks for the re-build, and now,its been another two weeks waiting on a new QR code for the replacement camera (which can only be generated in China for some reason).
Its clearly a warranty issue. Get your photos and explanation off to them in an e-mail and then just be patient.

There would be, but in this case I'd hold out for a replacement like danmiami.

But in general after any bump you should check all fasteners for tightness, check props, check motors for contamination and that the e-clips are all in place. Plug in to Assistant and check IMU calibration. While shell is open for motor checks examine all solder and plug connections. That sort of thing...

Pull_Up said:
There would be, but in this case I'd hold out for a replacement like danmiami.

But in general after any bump you should check all fasteners for tightness, check props, check motors for contamination and that the e-clips are all in place. Plug in to Assistant and check IMU calibration. While shell is open for motor checks examine all solder and plug connections. That sort of thing...

Thanks for that @Pull_Up... I guess one flaw in DJI sending a screwdriver with the P2V is that it is not the one we need to take things apart really... I would have gladly opened the shell and assess damage internally, but since I am traveling, I don't have the tools to do that.

As for plugging the unit into the computer - tried that... the computer doesn't even recognize the P2V :(

After I finish work tomorrow here, I am heading to the hobby store to see if they can at least power up my camera and let the video finalize in the camera... hope it works!

I am certainly expecting nothing short than a replacement here via my vendor, or direct at DJI... stay tuned and I will update you guys as we go forward... Here's to another week in Singapore without a working camera in the sky :|

danmiami said:
Dealer replied that I should contact DJI directly... So, I have already emailed them... Waiting... :roll:

My new P2 crashed on Jan 5th after a sudden battery failure. DJI asked me to fill out a report, which I did and sent back the same day. I've heard nothing since. Just over 4 weeks now and still waiting. :(

lgeist said:
danmiami said:
Dealer replied that I should contact DJI directly... So, I have already emailed them... Waiting... :roll:

My new P2 crashed on Jan 5th after a sudden battery failure. DJI asked me to fill out a report, which I did and sent back the same day. I've heard nothing since. Just over 4 weeks now and still waiting. :(

I would have them EXTEND your year warranty by whatever time it is "in the shop"...

UPDATE... Vendor, ESC, and camera, along with in-air failure proof!

My vendor replied (on Sunday)... They said I should contact DJI... Email sent...

Another note... Since I am Phantomless in Singapore, I went to and asked at Singapore Hobby (official DJI vendor) about the constant beeping - they said it's the ESC, so I must add that to the list of parts that need replacing.

CAMERA... I have undisputed evidence of an in-air failure! As I mentioned earlier, the final video was not finalized when I pulled the SD card. So, I took the camera to the Singapore Hobby store and asked if they would be so kind to connect it to one of their P2V's to simply power the camera and allow the video to finalize. In addition, I tested the camera by using the manual button to take one photo and start/stop a video- it worked! BUT, on the side of the camera opposite the screw, the shaft that goes into the other side is broken :x

THE FINAL VIDEO... I was expecting to see the video of my P2V tumbling down from the sky, but instead, it ended when the craft stopped flying up there! This shows that I had an in-air total failure, not just a single motor failure!

Finally, I originally stated I was about 100' up, but now I am guessing I was up about 150' based on the point where the video stops next to the building (counted windows/floors).

You were flying next to a building???? Risky...don't you think?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

FangsCPO said:
You were flying next to a building???? Risky...don't you think?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Risky? Really?

Apparently flying anywhere is risking to have a mid air failure... Location is not important.

UPDATE....

I am back in the Us and DJI has asked metro send everything into them in Los Angeles for repair (or hopefully replacement).

It is boxed up and ready to be shipped today. Estimated turn around is 21-30 days.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers