What to do after a crash?

Reaction score
I just had a crash in a tree, the phantom was stuck in a branch and would not come down. This was out in the middle of nowhere, couldn't get it down with a stick or climb the tree so I had to start the propellers and try to get it loose. It fell out onto a lower tree that was covered in vines and thank goodness nothing was broken.

My AVL58 got loose, the antenna was slightly bent but everything seems to be working. Do I need to recalibrate anything? Connect to the DJI assistant and do an advanced calibration? Change propellers (they're not really damaged I can post pics later)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes to all of the above.

Definitely do an IMU calibration if it has had a bump - even if it says one is not necessary. Check the connections of everything to make sure cables/connectors haven't been pulled. Consider opening the aircraft up and checking internal joints and connectors are still good and seated. If the props are only marked with sap from the leaves, etc, and don't have any nicks, dents or chips then you can keep them if you wish. Bear in mind though that if you are recording video that you might find even minor flaws in the props introduce jello - try it and see and replace as necessary. Check there's no vertical or horizontal play on the motor shafts - e-clips have been known to be dislodged during a crash and might be rattling loose inside ready to cause a short, as well as the motor only being held together by magnetic attraction. Sometimes the clips have gone inside the motors and there's a potential for a sudden stop then.

It's probably fine, these things are quite tough, but checking everything over doesn't do any harm and it's definitely better to spot something on the bench than it surface as a problem in mid-air. Good luck!

Almmohd said:
I just had a crash in a tree, the phantom was stuck in a branch and would not come down. This was out in the middle of nowhere, couldn't get it down with a stick or climb the tree so I had to start the propellers and try to get it loose. It fell out onto a lower tree that was covered in vines and thank goodness nothing was broken.

My AVL58 got loose, the antenna was slightly bent but everything seems to be working. Do I need to recalibrate anything? Connect to the DJI assistant and do an advanced calibration? Change propellers (they're not really damaged I can post pics later)?
I'm assuming you're familiar with the Phantom Assistant software? Indeed there is a section in the Tools tab where you can "Check IMU Status" and it'll tell you whether it needs an IMU cali or not. I can tell you from personal experience, I've crashed into trees 3 times and had 2 brick wall smacks... things I would have thought would require calibrations and still PA says it doesn't need a calibration and the Phantom flies perfectly fine.

these little guys are actually pretty tough! speaking of props, a few scuffs won't hurt but bear in mind these are how you generate lift so I won't put up with very much damage on a prob I'd rather replace a $10 prop (or several of them) than fly with a bad prop and risk a fall or something to lose the whole thing

Hmm... Was only just able to go for a flight after my altercation with a tree. I did the dji assistant calibration and since I was in a new area I did the compass calibration too but I think I may have a problem.

Here's what happened, I took the phantom for a flight. I was on a hill so when I went up by about 15-20m and flew out "level" up to maybe 200m. Since I was on a hill at about 200m the phantom may have been about 60m from the ground. I think it may have lowered itself while flying out but I wasn't too worried.

The next day, I went out and flew at about 15m height on a road with no gradient/level ground. At a distance of 75m, the phantom reached ground level descending slowly for itself as it flew out. Reversing the direction it gained altitude as I brought it back.

What can I do about this?

So I was told that my compass may need calibration and it was true.

So I calibrated it and my compass reading was ok less than 300 on the x, y and z readings as recommended by the dealer but after I took it out for a flight it's out of whack again (see attachment).

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403303790.134433.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403303790.134433.jpg
    352.4 KB · Views: 362

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen