What to do about the "illegal" competition....

Reaction score
I have recently acquired my Part 107 Certification with the intent to start a commercial operation here in New England. I have certain skills and knowledge to make me at least confident in what I'm trying to do, not the least of which is already owning my own business that I started 14 years ago. Let me cut to the chase.

I just googled Aerial Photography/Videography competitors in the area to get an idea of what's out there. I found several and visited the site of the first ten. Not one mentioned any certification, be it 333 or 107. Not one mentioned being insured either. Now that's all fine and good but what bothered me is that the majority of what I saw violated many rules that are part of 333 and 107 while promoting their aerial businesses. In the promotional videos I saw

-flying close/above clouds
-clearly flying above 400ft
-flying at night
-flying directly over busy intersections
-flying over crowds
-pictures of several private properties at once(chances of rights to do so of all properties involved are slim)
-flying very close to very small children
-realestate work

just to name a few. My dilemma is this: I feel that the market is and will be flooded very shortly with people trying to cash in on the aerial craze. I am sincerely hoping that by earning my Part 107 Certification I will separate myself from the "fly-by-night" folks. However, I am worried that I will held to a standard higher than those who choose to disregard the law and operate illegally by those that enforce the rules. I have never, ever considered myself the type to be a whistle-blower but then again I guess I've never had any reason to be. Once I push full speed forward with this venture I feel like I'm going to have to do everything I can to gain an edge. Since no one is advertising certification/insurance, do you think it's enough to focus a small part of the website to that? Do I flat out say "don't be fooled by the competition, hire a pro". I would appreciate any input.

I purposely posted this in the General Section (it was moved here) as I don't feel it has, specifically, anything to do with Rules or Regulations. I am asking what I do with my business moving forward in terms of marketing strategy and am not here to discuss what the rules and regulations are.

Keep marketing how your insured and that you are Faa registered and that you are a Faa certified remote pilot. Word will get around. Best of luck. I'm in the same boat, I'm just gonna play by the rules....best wishes for you.

Keep marketing how your insured and that you are Faa registered and that you are a Faa certified remote pilot. Word will get around. Best of luck. I'm in the same boat, I'm just gonna play by the rules....best wishes for you.

Agreed...best of luck to you!

Reactions: SanCap
Funny, you didn't come across my website. I am also in Vermont and I do say that I am licensed, right on the front page. You must have missed it:)

Funny, you didn't come across my website. I am also in Vermont and I do say that I am licensed, right on the front page. You must have missed it:)
Actually, I searched Albany first, knowing I would get hits and because I'm in southern VT. I never made it any further before posting this. Great to hear from someone near me though. Did/do you share my concerns at all? Have you looked at the others near you?

I am up by the Quebec border, Northeast Kingdom. When I took my exam for the 107 in Burlington at CATS, I asked had there been many others. Yes, the examiner said, about 50 photographers! No one had failed. So, it appears there is lots of competition! I do share your concerns. but there is not much you can do about it. However, I take comfort that most well established companies are going to look pick those pilots who are licensed and insured over an operator that isn't. The risks of them not doing so will likely become very costly.

I would put it on your site. Just flipped through some of the local companies around me and only a few had it listed on the main page. "Cleanest" one I saw said something like licensed and insured and underneath was a clickable link that said part 107 what it means and why it matters

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I would put it on your site. Just flipped through some of the local companies around me and only a few had it listed on the main page. "Cleanest" one I saw said something like licensed and insured and underneath was a clickable link that said part 107 what it means and why it matters

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
Yeah I like that. I am considering a "did you know" section....thanks.

Amateurs have been a thorn in the side of pro photography community for years! There are some skilled hobbyists out there who don't need the work for income, but rather for side cash. They charge far less than the pros who need the money to feed their families. This is the same thing repeating itself.

Definitely play by the rules. Yes, it puts you at a business disadvantage but there's no price tag that can be put on your integrity. Get your certification and advertise that you have it with pride. I certainly do (going after some aerial photography work next door in NH and MA currently). Best of luck!

Reactions: YYZ

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj