What the heck is this caused by? Red dots...everywhere.

Reaction score
HDR shot in manual mode.
SS 160

I have no clue. Any suggestions or advise is warmly welcomed.
DJI_0174.jpg

SS set to 1600.
Was trying a super dark HDR image exposed for the sun to see what I could pull out of the shadows in post.
Again.... speechless.
DJI_0175.jpg

Reactions: flpholt
Probably just noise from the high ISO and underexposure

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I believe it's showing you where the blacks are clipping. No detail in the blacks. Usually you'd see it on a live histogram

kinda cool looking

I believe it's showing you where the blacks are clipping. No detail in the blacks. Usually you'd see it on a live histogram

Shouldn't do this though.

See attached shot with my first P3P. Blacks are Black in the HDR shot. Then look how much was revealed with PhotoShop camera RAW in post. ISO 100 so it's not noise. Any ideas?

HDR_BA.jpg

Probably just noise from the high ISO and underexposure
That's what I would guess. And heavy post-processing trying to get detail from the shadows is just amplifying the noise that is there due to the high ISO.

Pulling out the detail in post-processing can often help recover the shadow details, but in this case, it's just noise.

That's what I would guess. And heavy post-processing trying to get detail from the shadows is just amplifying the noise that is there due to the high ISO.

Pulling out the detail in post-processing can often help recover the shadow details, but in this case, it's just noise.
Thanks for the response. But it still doesn't explain how this issue didn't exist with my first phantom three professional as noted by the photograph "before and after" above. I shot tons of photos with this exact same method and then processed in post with great results. Didn't start seeing this till I started shooting photographs with my second phantom three. Grrrrrr.

Looks like noise in the darks. Not sure why it's different with a different phantom. These cameras aren't great for low light performance, in that situation I would try to over-expose slightly and bring down the exposure in post. Less noise that way.

Reactions: fhagan02
I didn't see the pre-P3 Before/After shots before I posted.

I've done the same kind of HDR shots and your pre-P3 shot looks great. And your methods are valid; here's an example post of some of my HDR shots to show you that I know something about what you're doing, though my examples aren't as extreme as yours (let me know if that link doesn't work).

So my guess now would be that you have a bad sensor in the 2nd-P3. If you can show and old before/after and a new before/after to DJI, using the same methods and same ISO, they should replace it, yes?

Chris

Reactions: Reed L
That looks like IR noise. Are you using any filters?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I didn't see the pre-P3 Before/After shots before I posted.

I've done the same kind of HDR shots and your pre-P3 shot looks great. And your methods are valid; here's an example post of some of my HDR shots to show you that I know something about what you're doing, though my examples aren't as extreme as yours (let me know if that link doesn't work).

So my guess now would be that you have a bad sensor in the 2nd-P3. If you can show and old before/after and a new before/after to DJI, using the same methods and same ISO, they should replace it, yes?

Chris
Thanks for the response, Chris.

Yeah I think it's a sensor issue also. As I mentioned, the first P3P functioned perfectly...in every way.

At this stage the problem is much bigger than the sensor unfortunately. This P3P is technically my 5th one... so I'm a little worn out with my DJI P3P replacement adventures. (I've only paid for 2, but have had 5 total due to various manufacturer defects right out of the box...or weeks later.) #4 had a similar red speckle issue but more important issues as the camera was out of focus across the entire center. I just kept assuming all issues might be fixed with a new unit when I switched to buying form B&H. Their return policy is awesome vs the 11+ weeks lost on DJI's send it back and fix policy. It is a lot of fun and it is an incredible little bird. But when it comes down to professional film making it's not an Inspire with an X5. It's a very cool, albiet not so cheap, entry level flying camera....toy.

Yes I'd like so cheese with my whine. Sorry for the gripe and thanks to all for your input.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav