What Tablet Are You Using, and Are You Happy?

Reaction score
Currently I'm using my Samsung Note Edge, which works pretty well. Interested in something larger, but I know for instance that people are having problems with the Galaxy S 8.4. Wanted to see what is actually working well in a tablet.

I'm using the Nexus 7 (2013) and am very happy with it.
It's a Goldilocks solution .. not too expensive, not too big, it seems just about right.

I'm using an iPad Air and love the screen size. It just barely fits in the cradle. I used a lanyard with a quick release so it doesn't ever get too heavy.

Thanks. Did you have any problems with glare?
Yep. There isn't a tablet that exists where glare is not a problem. Some use anti-glare screen protectors, some use a sun shade.

I did find out this weekend that Ray Ban polarized sun glasses w/ the Shield does not work because it appears the polarization angle of the tablet screen is the same as the lenses on the glasses, lol. Completely black screen w/ glasses on.

Best solution I've found so far is to pick a launch spot at the edge of some trees and use the shade. Also keeps me and the tablet cooler.

Nvidia shield for me, no lag and the perfect size.

Reactions: clkilljoy
Ipad air 2. Absolutely love it , works like a champ outside too. I use the 128gig at&t LTE model

Reactions: MJF739B and Oso
I did use a Sony Xperia Z3 Compact tablet. Worked fine for a few weeks but then started getting some random app crashes while on the ground and during flying.

Last thing I need is it crashing.

So went back to my iPad Mini 2/retina - this so far has worked without any crashes. Image quality slightly better on the iPad Mini 2 as well. If the iPad Mini 4 comes out and its got a better processor I might upgrade to that.

Chuwi Vi8
Cost me $90.
Video works great (when caching is turned down). Brightness is about average and a deep hood is required. Probably not a great tab for hot sunny days as it will dim the screen if the tablet heats up too much. 90 bucks though-- darn good deal.

I'll probably go with the new jumbo iphone 6 come September. I have one for work, and flew a bit with it and video was flawless. Screen is amazing.

Reactions: MJF739B
Is there settings that increase the quality of the FPV that most recommend or just best to leave it on AUTO?

I have used an iPad Mini 2 for about a month. I bought it just for use with the P3. It has worked perfectly with near zero lag. Very impressive. Then the warm weather arrived, and it just can't keep up. After about 7-10 minutes on a hot day, the Mini 2 begins to get too hot and lag becomes dangerous. Since I live in an area with hot summers, I needed something that would allow me to use the P3 before summer ends.

Many people have commented to me that the Air 2 can tolerate a hot day far better due to it's superior processor and increased RAM. Several have mentioned to me that it has worked well up to 104F/40C. as such, I have an Air 2 arriving tomorrow. That's just in time for what now looks like a 100F/38C day near me. Once I have a chance to check it out, I will update the many threads on this exact topic.

If the Air 2 doesn't work, I may look more closely at the Shield. I didn't go for the Shield right away because it has a much lower max operating temperature (86F/30C) than do the iPads (95F/35C). If I were in a cooler area, the Shield would have been higher on my list.

Reactions: JackFlash-P3P
Ive used everything from a Galazy S4, S6 and Galaxy Tab 2, 3, and 4. But now use an iPan Mini 2. The S4 and 3 Tab tablets failed to run the newest version of DJI Pilot and all are the 10" models so they dont fit the cradle. The S6 does amazing, but its too **** small! The Mini 2 does great, but apple products are a joke!

Reactions: bbfpv
Recommended and real-world are quite different though. Here's a breakdown for the Shield. http://www.anandtech.com/show/8329/revisiting-shield-tablet-gaming-ux-and-battery-life

For the record, I ran through 3 packs yesterday in 90 degree sun and FPV was flawless.
Thanks sir. I am very well versed on the specs for most tablets and phones and never make a purchase without thoroughly researching. Probably the same as you.

The iPad Mini 2 also worked very well with no lag up to the mid 90's. It is the high 90's to low 100's that I am targeting since that is a normal summer day for me. I don't want to push beyond the P3's own max operating temperature of 104, but I want to fly in 95-100 degrees every day without lag or concern.

With the Shield being only spec'd to 86 degrees, looking there first made no sense for my use case. Somewhere like Long Island (where I grew up actually) doesn't often see 100+, so you'd expect a Shield to work better in that climate. Just as you have confirmed.

I don't know what the heck pilots in Phoenix are going to do in the summer!

Reactions: JoBe and bbfpv

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31