what suggestions you have for a noob?? (P3P)

Reaction score
Tomorrow night arrives my P3P and I would like to know what to do exactly like:

Batteries come like half charged?
Do I fully charge them before my first flight?
I have never flown anything in my life so what mode should I pick?
Any suggestion in general before, during and after my first fly?

Thanks in advance guys!

READ THE MANUAL. You know, that white booklet inside the box. It has everything you need to know to safely fly your drone.

Or you can be pro-active and download the manual in PDF form right off the DJI website and read it before it arrives so you know what to do.

Remember all the things you read on here are isolated issues for the most part. Take everything with a grain of salt. Forums = place for people to share content and complain. If you read into everything too much you'll be scared to fly.

Find a big open field and just fly it around in circles and get a feel for it. It flies itself for the most part. Just avoid any known objects and get to know it.

have fun!

Download and read the manual from the DJI website as it is not included in the package. ALWAYS fully charge your batteries before flight. Your Controller will take 3+ hours to charge so set it and forget it. Also Watch all of the DJI Training Videos. The batteries will take about an hour to charge as they will most likely be in auto discharge mode.

DJI Forum|DJI Tutorial Compilation (Updated at Jan.22th)

Educate yourself about the laws and regulations for the area you intend to fly. Welcome to the community, have fun!

Make sure you fully understand RTH. The different kinds, and how they work.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

All the above suggestions are good. Also, make sure the switch on the controller is in the P position, and fly in beginner mode for your first few flights.

Definitely download and read the full manual, and definitely find a wide open space to get you started.....Have fun!

Reactions: Skypicswa
After you have read all the above and taken the advice......For first flight go to a big open area like a sports ground with no trees around. Practise very basic skills like take offs and slow moving forward and back. Only go down to 50% battery.

Yes, lets talk about the battery. You should be landing at (or above) 30 percent EVERY flight. It is the best way to prolong the life of your battery. Also make sure you ALWAYS top off your batteries before you go fly.

Personally I am not a manual guy. Show me and I get it. Read and I get bored, skip vital parts etc. Just not safe. BUT DJI and lots of others do great videos. They are on the DJI website and dozens on Youtube. Watch them. Digest and listen to their knowledge. The safety bits must not be skipped. Think of it like a 13 year old who can just see above the steering wheel being given a expensive car to drive. Of course he can drive it. He's got a Eggbox 360 etc.

When you first fly it find a nice open field. No cars, people etc. Dont be tempted to fly it in the garden, we have all been there. Certainly dont fly it in the house. The closest analogy is its like tapping your head and rubbing your belly in circles whilst trying to watch the TV at the same time. But a lot more fun!!

Set yourself some simple tasks at first. E.g Take off. Rise to about 40 feet. Fly to the end of the field. Stop. Turn around and fly back. Easy eh? Thats when you find that when you push the joy stick to the left the drone goes right etc. You soon realise you dont feel as much in control as you thought you would be.

Next fly it away from you and try the RTH button. Better to get used to it before you need it!

Then try flying in a square. Then try it without stopping! Again harder than it looks. I am sure you get the idea. Its all a question of practise practise practise until it becomes second nature.

Good luck. Not trying to put you off. These are great machines.

Let us know how you get on. :)

Dont be in a hurry to get airborne.... take your time and relax. Get the go app on your device of choice. Charge batteries. Power up rwmote and aircraft (without props) and make sure you know what every menu in the go app is for. Set your failsafe mode and rth height. Read the manual. Give yourself plenty of space and pick a calm day for your first few flights.

Personally I am not a manual guy. Show me and I get it. Read and I get bored, skip vital parts etc. Just not safe. BUT DJI and lots of others do great videos. They are on the DJI website and dozens on Youtube. Watch them. Digest and listen to their knowledge. The safety bits must not be skipped. Think of it like a 13 year old who can just see above the steering wheel being given a expensive car to drive. Of course he can drive it. He's got a Eggbox 360 etc.

When you first fly it find a nice open field. No cars, people etc. Dont be tempted to fly it in the garden, we have all been there. Certainly dont fly it in the house. The closest analogy is its like tapping your head and rubbing your belly in circles whilst trying to watch the TV at the same time. But a lot more fun!!

Set yourself some simple tasks at first. E.g Take off. Rise to about 40 feet. Fly to the end of the field. Stop. Turn around and fly back. Easy eh? Thats when you find that when you push the joy stick to the left the drone goes right etc. You soon realise you dont feel as much in control as you thought you would be.

Next fly it away from you and try the RTH button. Better to get used to it before you need it!

Then try flying in a square. Then try it without stopping! Again harder than it looks. I am sure you get the idea. Its all a question of practise practise practise until it becomes second nature.

Good luck. Not trying to put you off. These are great machines.

Let us know how you get on. :)
I would not be so quick to promote not reading the manual, look at my signature. Even if the videos are great you still need to read the manual a few times.

I know someone is going to say no but I took off the camera for the first week. It is the first thing u will break. Just a rough landing can do it. If u are not comfortable removing it don't.

Read the manual! Yep it's a broken record. I think I have read it 6 times. Then get a nano drone to learn how to get used to the orientation when flying. Fly it until you can fly without worry. Then the phantom will be no problem..

Phantom 3 Pro / iPad Air 2

Reactions: PJ Orlando
Read the manual! Yep it's a broken record. I think I have read it 6 times. Then get a nano drone to learn how to get used to the orientation when flying. Fly it until you can fly without worry. Then the phantom will be no problem..

I agree MOjo... Your very first flight really shouldn't be with P3p

I never flew a drone before and my dad handed me the controller at the local park and said this is up, down and turn it around!

After two minutes it was pure simplicity to fly. Of course there are a lot more features but.. honestly it's not that hard to fly the thing. I'm just surprised someone suggested not reading the manual. lol. Operate something that can hurt someone or damage property..but never mind the full operations of it.

Tomorrow night arrives my P3P and I would like to know what to do exactly like:

Any suggestion in general before, during and after my first fly?

Thanks in advance guys!
You may be thinking that going high is scary. Most problems occur at low altitude. Be very careful when you are low in altitude and around things. I'm always a bit relieved when I'm about 200 feet up.

Train yourself never to reduce altitude (left throttle down) without 100% attention on doing that.

Trust the screen when flying more than your line of sight.

Safe flying.

Guys Thank you VERY VERY much!!! I'm downloading the manual rigth now!!! I'm gonna read it

I realized this morning that I have Ipad Mini 16 GB with Retina, and as much as I've researched my Ipad isn't gonna work, right?

(If anyone isn't using his/her ipad mini 2 I can take it, thank you! hahaha JK)

What tablet do you suggest? with the P3P I don't have that much money to spend

Last edited:
Yes there is partial charge

Yes.. Charge them to 100% before each flight. There are exceptions to this rule but nobody has had a problem because they charged their batteries.

Mode 2 is the most common setting. Check it before you fly

Any suggestion in general before, during and after my first fly?!
Read the manual, watch the videos, calibrate the IMU - preferably while it's cold to reduce warmup times, calibrate the compass.

Fly fly fly

Just before the holidays a friend wanted to buy her husband a quad for Christmas. The were going from Tennessee to Florida for a few weeks and she was going to give it to him there.
I had taken him out once with mine when he showed interest..
I recommended the p3 advanced.
I stressed to her to make sure he walked before he ran. Read the manual. View the tutorials.
She said that was not a problem as he was the type of person that would throughly study prior to flying.
WELLLLL, guess what. They just got back and when he and his son opened the packaging they just had to go for it.
WELLLL, guess what. Took off and flew for a short time before it decided to go see what the swamp water was like.
He said, well, it was sort of windy and it took off which would indicated he was either in the wrong mode or possibly didn't calibrated the compass. If you view some of the videos they stress doing a preflight check.

I've flown in some fairly strong winds I've never had a problem.
Once you get a little exp. take a look at ATT mode. Good to have, at least, some basic understanding of it just in case you're forced to use it. Some prefer it. Takes a practice to acquire skill.
I'm not skill with it, but do practice to avoid complete panic if force to.

Long story short, just educated yourself, take it slow, and you should have no problem.

Be careful these things are addictive.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj