WHAT?! Subtitle files appeared

Reaction score
Went out in the field today with my baby and flew it 15 minutes. I checked the videos on the SD card, and I noticed that subtitle files have appeared between each video. When I open a video, it shows the altitude, speed etc. with the video player's subtitle support.

I never had these files before. I checked in the pilot app every single option and didn't find anything relating to the flight info log.

Any ideas?

I think it's the video captioning option. Enabled generates the subtitle files.

Reactions: acherman
I think it's the video captioning option. Enabled generates the subtitle files.
Err.. Do you know where it is? :D

Err.. Do you know where it is? :D
Check in the app, camera settings, More. The three options at the top are the under exposure warning, the histogram, and video caption.

I'm not getting any caption with the switch on (green). Any ideas?

I'm not getting any caption with the switch on (green). Any ideas?
Mine was doing the same thing-- ruined some video -- managed to turn them off-- but I think it was captions off

It doesn't ruin the video as these caption files (srt ) are stored separately from you videos - when you export your videos from the sd card, just put the srt files into a separate folder & your videos will play without the caption.

They can come in quite handy if you want to check exposure & shutter values

Reactions: rrmccabe
I too have caption turned on - it would appear it's always been turned on - but no SRT files...

Went out in the field today with my baby and flew it 15 minutes. I checked the videos on the SD card, and I noticed that subtitle files have appeared between each video. When I open a video, it shows the altitude, speed etc. with the video player's subtitle support.

I never had these files before. I checked in the pilot app every single option and didn't find anything relating to the flight info log.

Any ideas?
It sure would be nice if we knew if you have an Android or an IOS device, and if you have the P3A or P3P if that even would matter.

Has anyone edited their footage where some areas are removed? Than run the rendered movie with the .srt file. My question is "does the captioned information sync with new shorter movie file?" I know it will display the captioned info but it may not line up to what's actually playing. If not, is it possible to edit the .srt file at the same time. I use FCP X but haven't quite figured out the editing feature provided with the dji app.

Has anyone edited their footage where some areas are removed? Than run the rendered movie with the .srt file. My question is "does the captioned information sync with new shorter movie file?" I know it will display the captioned info but it may not line up to what's actually playing. If not, is it possible to edit the .srt file at the same time. I use FCP X but haven't quite figured out the editing feature provided with the dji app.

Dont bother editing in the Dji director app as those videos are 720p - you've got the mac 4k editing set up, remember.:p.

It sure would be nice if we knew if you have an Android or an IOS device, and if you have the P3A or P3P if that even would matter.

IOS, P3A :)

If you're using VLC to playback you can switch off the subtitles. I think it's in the view drop down.

Yup, but it doesn't prevent files from appearing in the folder!

Yup, but it doesn't prevent files from appearing in the folder!
No those files won't stop until you disable it in the app settings.

Last edited:
@ImJim

Just to be clear. The DJI app is telling the Phantom to add a second file right next to the video file with the extra overlay data. You can use it or not. You can delete the file if you dont want it.

It only shows the info if you play the video file from the same location the info file is.

Reactions: Oso
@ImJim

Just to be clear. The DJI app is telling the Phantom to add a second file right next to the video file with the extra overlay data. You can use it or not. You can delete the file if you dont want it.

It only shows the info if you play the video file from the same location the info file is.

Right, but how to disable this feature? I didn't have these files before, I never ever had subtitle files under each of my videos.

Did you go to Fn on app above camera stuff, click more at bottom and shut off video caption

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl