What specs laptop will I need to edit 4k video

Reaction score
Just started to have a go at editing video and found out that my old laptop struggles with full HD so It has no chance with the 4k video from the P3P. I am using Premiere Pro 5.5 and now looking for a laptop that can handle 4k. Could you guys let me know what the typical specs a laptop requires to handle editing 4k video without problem? Would be good to know what you guys are using?

I am in the same boat as "fin032" , above. 'Eagerly await the input from the experts out here in Phantom Pilots land...
Thanks!

im not sure youll be able to edit 4k video in a laptop, unless you are editting using proxies.

i use this to edit my 4k videos and works like a charm :)

5k.jpg

You can edit with a laptop. Get the best you can afford with a i7 processor and at least 8 gigabytes of ram and a 1920 x 1080 display. Certainly pass on Windows 10, I would go for Windows 7, I think the best OS ever, I know the Macs are going to scream. You can get a more powerful desktop for a whole lot less and it is more convenient to work on.

You can edit with a laptop. Get the best you can afford with a i7 processor and at least 8 gigabytes of ram and a 1920 x 1080 display. Certainly pass on Windows 10, I would go for Windows 7, I think the best OS ever, I know the Macs are going to scream. You can get a more powerful desktop for a whole lot less and it is more convenient to work on.

Thanks for the advice. After reading in to it I found a website saying that this is the min spec you need.

Offline Editing: Intel Core i7 2.3GHz four-core
Online Editing: Dual Intel Xeon 2GHz six-core

GPU: Video Card

Offline Editing: NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M
Online Editing: Dual NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760M

RAM – Memory

Offline Editing: 8GB RAM
Online Editing: 32GB RAM

Storage

Offline Editing: dedicated 7200rpm hard drive or SSD for media
Online Editing: dedicated 7200rpm hard drive or SSD for project files

I then went on the hunt and found this from SaveonLaptops here in the UK. They have a code for £100 off this model just now Just hope its does the job. Here is the specs

Intel® Core™ i7-4720HQ Quad Core Processor
17.3" Full HD IPS Screen
Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit
8GB DDR3 RAM
128GB SSD + 1000GB 7200RPM HDD
DVD Rewriter
Dedicated GeForce GTX 965M 2GB Graphics
USB3 | HDMI | Bluetooth | DisplayPort
Steel Series Backlit Keyboard
2 Year MSI Warranty

And link

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/9S7-179111-006-MSI-GE72-2QE(Apache)-006UK_1761394.html

Discount code LOVE100

I will let you know how I get on.

Ok I have had a go with the new laptop editing 4k with Premiere pro 5.5 and it manages to do the job. The fans do kick in and if you scrub back and forward quickly its does start to stick so not perfect but definitely workable if you take your time.

Happy with it.

Just got a Macbook Pro Retina with the i5 processor, 512 of internal storage and 8 gigs of ram and does great with processing my P3P videos as long as I use external storage for storing the raw files and the finished videos (they are huge!). I am editing with Final Cut Pro X and it will eat up storage while editing with its temporary files but with a 2 TB external it's no problem.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers