What should I do before I fly again?

Reaction score
I'm a new p2+ owner and only have about an hour under my belt. I was flying my p2 this afternoon when I got too close to a tree. The P2+ clipped the tree limbs, bounced off, hesitated for a second and then went almost straight up. I could not stop it and thought there it goes. It got to maybe 150-200 feet and was still going so I turned off the Tx. I saw the lights go from slow green blinking to yellow blinking but it was still moving around kind of erratic, I switched S1 and saw the green lights flashing slow but still could not make it descend. I turned off Tx again and it started slowly coming back towards home but still jerky and erratic. Long story shortl, it finally angled to about 45 degrees and crashed into my neighbors yard. Miracle as it did not hit the road or a house or land in the water. One prop had the tip broken off and two ther props had some minor warping. I don't know when the tip broke as I could not find it by the tree or where it crashed.

I guess I wonder why it took off. Do you think it was due to the prop damage or did something else happen when it was jarred off the tree limbs. I have replaced all the props but am concerned about cranking it up. Should I do something before I try it again?

I know, I know, my fault for flying without experience around tree. Beat me up if you must :oops: . Next try will be in open field.

Anytime you crash or land hard, or other weird event,
It is always good to hook to PC Assistant!

Hello,
Sounds like a calibration issue!

Possibly IMU, compass, and / or controller!

You'll need to hook to PC ASSISTANT!

To recalibrate IMU ( inertial measurement device ) this device takes readings from ( gyroscope ( spinning motion ), accelerometer ( forward-back-side/side, and up-down movements ) and finally compass ( where it is ( latitude, longitude, altitude ).

First hook to PC assistant
Look for ( TOOLS ) tab ( 4th tab over ) on top
Check your MOD VALUES ( modulus: another word for absolute value )
( Mod is a average taken from ( x,y,z axis )

Gyroscope should be : ( 0.0-1.5 ) if not RECALIBRATE IMU
Accelerometer should be : ( .98-1.02) if not RECALIBRATE IMU
Compass should be : ( 700-2400 ) if not RECALIBRATE IMU AND COMPASS

( IMPORTANT: keep phantom level ( front-back, and side-side ) with
No wobbling around ( good and stable ) before starting IMU calibration!
( it may say IMU too hot, just ignore and continue on! Mine ALWAYS says that
Even when I do it first! )
( I always do ADVANCED CALIBRATION , not basic ) but that is me!

For your Tx ( controller )
Find BASIC TAB ( 2nd tab ) the RC ( sub-tab )
( calibrate controller )
Command sticks calibration
( a, e, t, r ) ( a= aileron, e= elevator, t= throttle, and r= rudder )
press start to start calibration, turn sticks to their farthest most points, then round and round every direction, then return to center, click finish! ( double check by moving sticks and letting go, green bars should be in center,( red line is center ( green line should be centered on red line ) if NOT recalibrate!

And finally:
Recalibrate ( MAGNETOMETER ) magnetic GPS , BEFORE first flight ( after recalibration )!

If this does not fix, you'll need to OPEN phantom up, check for bad connections,
Bad solder joints, ect, something may have jarred loose?

HOPE THIS HELPS!

Jerry D
USA
( J Dot )

quadcopter said:
I'm a new p2+ owner and only have about an hour under my belt. I was flying my p2 this afternoon when I got too close to a tree. The P2+ clipped the tree limbs, bounced off, hesitated for a second and then went almost straight up. I could not stop it and thought there it goes. It got to maybe 150-200 feet and was still going so I turned off the Tx. I saw the lights go from slow green blinking to yellow blinking but it was still moving around kind of erratic, I switched S1 and saw the green lights flashing slow but still could not make it descend. I turned off Tx again and it started slowly coming back towards home but still jerky and erratic. Long story shortl, it finally angled to about 45 degrees and crashed into my neighbors yard. Miracle as it did not hit the road or a house or land in the water. One prop had the tip broken off and two ther props had some minor warping. I don't know when the tip broke as I could not find it by the tree or where it crashed.

I guess I wonder why it took off. Do you think it was due to the prop damage or did something else happen when it was jarred off the tree limbs. I have replaced all the props but am concerned about cranking it up. Should I do something before I try it again?

I know, I know, my fault for flying without experience around tree. Beat me up if you must :oops: . Next try will be in open field.
What mode were you flying? PHANTOM or NAZA? You switched S1 to middle or lowest position? Did you leave it there or immediately flip it back to top? I would do an IMU calibration to be safe, calibrate your controller to be safe. Ensure you do the compass dance (phantom calibration w/360 rotations) just prior to each flight, never fly until you see consistent blinking green lights. Just fly local and conservative for a bit until you're comfortable. Ensure you've done all your firmware updates... some will swear there are bugs in the latest firmware, but at least you can tell DJI you were using the latest firmware if you find yourself in the position to have to return for repairs/replacement due to manufacturer defect.

quadcopter said:

I suspect the warped props, and particularly the broken prop tip, which certainly imparted an imbalance in the engine, airframe, and gyro, was wreaking havoc on the flight controller's ability to maintain control.

J Dot, Thank you for the very detailed and informative reply. I will follow your excellent advice.

srandall25 said:
quadcopter said:

What mode were you flying? PHANTOM or NAZA? You switched S1 to middle or lowest position? Did you leave it there or immediately flip it back to top? I would do an IMU calibration to be safe, calibrate your controller to be safe. Ensure you do the compass dance (phantom calibration w/360 rotations) just prior to each flight, never fly until you see consistent blinking green lights. Just fly local and conservative for a bit until you're comfortable. Ensure you've done all your firmware updates... some will swear there are bugs in the latest firmware, but at least you can tell DJI you were using the latest firmware if you find yourself in the position to have to return for repairs/replacement due to manufacturer defect.

I was in Phantom mode. You know, I was panicking and I think I was flipping the switch immediately back to pos. 1 but I can't be sure. I re-read the procedure afterwards and it looks like I should leave it at position 2, is that right?

Dirty Bird said:
quadcopter said:

I suspect the warped props, and particularly the broken prop tip, which certainly imparted an imbalance in the engine, airframe, and gyro, was wreaking havoc on the flight controller's ability to maintain control.

I want too believe this also. When it got close you could hear the motors straining as the P2 was trying to maintain some sim lance of level. When I looked at the video I could see the prop in the video and the unit doing a lot of correction. It was not due to wind, it was a calm afternoon.

I will do all the recal though after it smacked the ground.

If you're in PHANTOM mode, it's best just to leave both S1 and S2 in the top most position at all times. Only time to switch is the S2 up/down 5 times to get the yellow lights on your phantom to indicate it's ready for the Compass Dance calibration just prior to flight. After that, ensure they're both in the top most position. No reason to flip the switches during flight unless you're in NAZA mode and know what you're doing. Read this for NAZA vs. PHANTOM info: http://www.pattayadays.com/2014/03/naza ... -2-vision/

srandall25 said:
If you're in PHANTOM mode, it's best just to leave both S1 and S2 in the top most position at all times. Only time to switch is the S2 up/down 5 times to get the yellow lights on your phantom to indicate it's ready for the Compass Dance calibration just prior to flight. After that, ensure they're both in the top most position. No reason to flip the switches during flight unless you're in NAZA mode and know what you're doing. Read this for NAZA vs. PHANTOM info: http://www.pattayadays.com/2014/03/naza ... -2-vision/

Thanks for the informative missive on NAZA. I've seen it mentioned but have ignored it because it is difficult to find straight forward info. This missive was excellent. MAZA here I come....

srandall25 said:
No reason to flip the switches during flight unless you're in NAZA mode and know what you're doing. /

In the Phantom mode won't S1 recover from RTH if toggled to position 2 or 3?

quadcopter said:
I read the blog from srandall25. ( http://www.pattayadays.com/2014/03/naza ... -2-vision/ ) and it looks like the only difference is with the switch functions. Does naza also effect speed and performance? I certainly don't need anymore speed :shock:.

Speed and performance are the same unless you activate MANUAL mode. Manual mode would allow you to do flips, somersaults, etc., but I don't recommend this unless you are a skilled pilot. Honestly, I can't see any reason NOT to enable NAZA mode, so long as you add to your pre-flight checklist to BEGIN YOUR FLIGHT WITH S1/S2 IN THE UP POSITON. Having NAZA enabled allows IOC on S2 opening up your recording possibilities.

Dirty Bird said:
Speed and performance are the same unless you activate MANUAL mode.

Speed and performance are not the same in GPS mode and Phantom vs. ATTI mode.

Lots of speed data out there from the Flytrex guys that mirrors my experience.

For example:

"Without wind I can get 45mph in atti mode, gps mode maybe 33mph. Anything more is with wind at my back."

panhygrous pantler said:
Speed and performance are not the same in GPS mode and Phantom vs. ATTI mode.

Lots of speed data out there from the Flytrex guys that mirrors my experience.

For example:

"Without wind I can get 45mph in atti mode, gps mode maybe 33mph. Anything more is with wind at my back."

Sorry I was comparing Phantom mode to NAZA/GPS mode. Its true in ATTI mode you have reduced bank restrictions, thus more speed.

I checked calibration today and all was still in spec....

I determined the prop tip broke off when I hit the tree. I found it today under the tree after some searching. It was about 1/2 inch piece. I'm sure that caused the unit to become unbalance and unstable. It just flew up high at an angle and I could see it was struggling to maintain a fixed point. I was lucky I got it back into a grass crash landing with no damage, except prop.

I was wondering if some fly always are due to prop damage or something happening to one of the props? I was sure my was going to fly away but I guess there was enough control left to get it close enought to home to forcefully land..

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik