What should DJI do for the P5?

A lot of good ideas , and some not so good. A couple of minor adjustments could be made , like making the tablet holder slightly bigger to have at least a 10 inch tablet fit without having to buy an extender . And how about a hook release for carrying/dropping items . Not knives ! haha
§ 91.15 Dropping objects.
No pilot in command of a civil aircraft may allow any object to be dropped from that aircraft in flight that creates a hazard to persons or property. However, this section does not prohibit the dropping of any object if reasonable precautions are taken to avoid injury or damage to persons or property.

Yep, knives MAY be prohibited...but I'm not certain.

I really just want a longer battery life so I don't to schlep so many extra batteries. It's ridiculous.

They should also be able to do 30 fps in 4K (NTSC) mode.

Last edited:
^
What he said above, and fix the camera positioning so the props don't get into the scene on high speed and camera tilted up.

I'd like more megapixels too, maybe 16MP. My 16MP cellphone is pretty remarkable over the 12MP in the P4.
Sharper lens.

^
What he said above, and fix the camera positioning so the props don't get into the scene on high speed and camera tilted up.

I'd like more megapixels too, maybe 16MP. My 16MP cellphone is pretty remarkable over the 12MP in the P4.
Sharper lens.

What would be highly desirable then is better optics and a faster lens over more MP: more MP won't necessarily equate better image.

I wouldn't wait unless you have another drone to bide your time. From their history, DJI will probably do an incremental upgrade, possibly with software and flight time.

PS: I'd also like to see max flight radius distance for us distance fliers to be added to the Flight List stats screen. Top speed, top distance, max takeoff altitude and top speed are all fine, but that one extra stat would be helpful. Pretty sure, DJI wouldn't add that due to "encouraging" non-LOS.
What do you mean? The jump between Phantom 2 Vision+ and the P3P was BIG. From P3P->P4, not so much. That and a growing competition makes up for hopefully a better upgrade this time. And the P6 may be what the P4 was - faster etc.

The only thing I see that would stop DJI from releasing a much improved camera would be if it started to cannibalize on the Inspire X5. Though, when working professional, you can't have props in frame at any time. That would make the Phantom a bad choice even though the price is lower for an almost equal camera.

I foresee pricedrops on the X5 and X5 Raw, the Inspire X3, Phantom Advanced and Phantom Standard discontinued. Possibly even the Phantom 4. The new models will be Phantom 4K entry, Professional mid-tier and Phantom 5 upper tier. Or even keeping the Phantom 4 for four phantom models, as today.

What do you mean? The jump between Phantom 2 Vision+ and the P3P was BIG. From P3P->P4, not so much. That and a growing competition makes up for hopefully a better upgrade this time. And the P6 may be what the P4 was - faster etc.

The only thing I see that would stop DJI from releasing a much improved camera would be if it started to cannibalize on the Inspire X5. Though, when working professional, you can't have props in frame at any time. That would make the Phantom a bad choice even though the price is lower for an almost equal camera.

I foresee pricedrops on the X5 and X5 Raw, the Inspire X3, Phantom Advanced and Phantom Standard discontinued. Possibly even the Phantom 4. The new models will be Phantom 4K entry, Professional mid-tier and Phantom 5 upper tier. Or even keeping the Phantom 4 for four phantom models, as today.
You are probably correct on all and I'm dead wrong, but any ideas on what these Phantom 4K entry, Professional mid-tier and Phantom 5 going to look like and be equipped with?

To me, if DJI went from the P1 to the level of the P3P for their P2, we might see something new and innovative in the P5. If the changes are color options and fixing the tilted horizon problem, that is incrementalism but on a scale smaller than I'm thinking.

anti-collision sensors on all six sides would be awesome. at least the backside so I can do some look behind videos without worrying about crashing.

Also, zoom capability will be very useful.

I'd like some subtle feedback from the control sticks when I'm moving them to be able to make some really precise aircraft/camera movements. My fpv quad-controller has this. Makes it much easier to lock the stick position when not centered.

some people have been suggesting a waterproot drone which people are quick to put down, but such drones already exist and they are getting better, so if dji don`t start waterproofing the next phantoms they will be at risk when the waterproof ones start catching up to dji standards, and it isn`t hard to waterproof electrics in a quad, i sprayed a micro quad with a sealer and then left it underwater for an hour before turning it on and flying it out, a feature that should be on the p5 is an emergency tracker unit with it`s own power cell, one thing i think the p6 will have if not the p5 is an ai based anti collision system with upper and lower 360 degree camera, that when needed automatically takes control and avoids the danger, and probably brings it back to take off point and safely lands it when the main cell gets low, i also believe future quads may use 2 cells to increase flight time but reserve say 30% capacity for the emergency landings, and they may include voice control into the remote control, giving pilots more freedom or allowing buttoms on the remote to have multi options, it may even be possible to fly 2 or more quads using only one remote to control them all, one function the p6 or p7 should have is radar if anyone going to do it first it would be dji.

Great ideas!

One thing I would like to see is a standardized camera mount and data interface where other sensors and cameras could be easily mounted. Then have the option to purchase the drone with or without the stock camera.

For those that are interested in water operations, the WaterStrider is a solution that already works on the P3 and P4.

I've read so many things and some common things are coming up and some are even reasonable ;)

Who doesn't want longer fly times, but do we want yet another battery to buy 5 of? Changes to dimensions and layout so we need all new cases. So many changes to flight that a new controller is needed?

Upgraded camera is number one; defiantly better ISO performance and perhaps a bump in mpix.

Longer range? If prefer to think in terms of Stronger signaling; so we can penetrate more foliage and walls.

Water: full water proofing would be nice of course but would change things a lot especially price. How about smarter water handling. The Google maps know where water and shore lines are. In cases of automatic returning home and/or landing, avoid landing on water and veer off to closest land.

Ability to set idle speed on ground (reduce tumbling over) and ability to set delay then speed to attain and height of auto take off, useful when launching from moving platform (boats).

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

[ Had to stop typing the above post because the window wouldn't scroll and I couldn't see what I was typing "under" the virtual keypad! ]

Collision Sensors behind would be useful and then side sensors.

Frankly, with the exception of upgraded camera abilities I think most people want upgrades to address potential crashes, including water issues, the most.

The P4 is such a wonderful unit as is; frankly it's theirs to screw up if they don't make a very nice and wanted step forward.

The camera upgrade is what I'd like to see most. If there was only a way to get a Micro4/3 camera in the Phantom, like the Inspire. I know it's a weight issue.

Here's my idea:

1. Move a heavier camera forward about 2" so the props don't show in the view as much.
2. Install a heavier bigger battery, farther toward the rear to offset the heavier camera.
3. Make two of the props (diagonally from each other) 1/2" higher than the other two.
4. Use props that are 11" instead of 9" for more lift, maybe a little slower prop speed. The props would overlap using the 1/2" offset. (maybe 3/4" might be needed).

I'm pretty sure this would work, but there might be some special firmware adjustment for the prop offset overlay. It may look weird at first, but the payoff could be big, keeping the same 350mm size for backpack-ability.

upload_2016-8-29_16-53-40.png

Things I don't care about to keep cost and weight as low as possible:

1. Obstacle avoidance
2. Waterproofing

There must be a butt load of made up posts in this thread. I asked on a thread a couple of weeks ago why there wasn't a waterproof version and got told bluntly there is no market. So must be a bunch of guys just making stuff up in here..... :p

I've only had my P4 for a few weeks but I must say that I love it. It worked out of the box as expected and has proven to work as hoped for in every way. I have one single problem, the tilted horizon; everything else about this baby just delivers. However, obviously, things can get better.

Without getting crazy, we need to consider that this is a business and things cost money and if it's too expensive few will upgrade. And things you put in your main product have to benefit the largest number of users, not just answering a niche.

So, what are you Most looking for in whatever next model, presumably the Phantom 5, will be?

For me, and let me clear the obvious ones out so we don't all mention them:
Faster & Further - duh!

I'd like the ability to click off a photo while video is running.
Smart Automatic Landing: if above water, do not land, hover at 2 meters until, literally, battery failure, but do not automatically land in water.
Higher resolution Photos
Higher ISO (6400?) should be available in both video and photo.
Add Rear Obstacle Detection
Improved Obstacle Detection and Avoidance
Send charging power to Android/iDevice from controller (bigger battery if necessary), switchable
Optional OEM Water Landing "feet"

Semi-Related: Not an upgrade but a demand:
FIX the horizon tilt - this is class action category annoying DJI, hello?!

All that, but I would like to see full 360 degree object avoidance (and I think we will. Also a zoomable camera.

More than anything, people don't want to lose their $1.5k device. Putting obstacle detection and avoidance all the way around is highest on my list and I'd pay for it.

A very close second is improved camera. Why do we fly our now safer craft? For the pix and video. The 4K video at 30 FPS is already just spectacular. But we NEED improved noise plus higher usable ISO. My DX dslr has a Usable iso of 25600 - I'd be happy (i.e., willing to pay) to see both video and photo with a cleaner (less noise) iso to 6400.
Most everything else falls to a distant third (in my humble opinion)

Dresten, if you think the P4 shots are spectacular, what word would you use to describe shots from the X5 Raw?

The P4 shoots footage like a highend cellphone does. It has the same kind of sensor so that's not suprising. But it is not spectacular in the slightest.

Larger and improved sensor
Better lens
Higher bitrate material - from 4K 60mbit/s to 4K 100mbit

/thread?
The most important thing the P5 needs is a different, more professional, or at least better realized version of the H.264 codec which is at the forefront of most of the image issues with the P4 and P3.

DJI is a hardware company and not a software company. Better codec and as you said bitrate which goes hand in hand but the media is also the problem on the bitrate because even at 60, it's hard to record on MicroSD cards that that are too slow for even 60.

They should use those SD cards that aren't micro. Those are faster and larger.

Dresten, if you think the P4 shots are spectacular, what word would you use to describe shots from the X5 Raw?

The P4 shoots footage like a highend cellphone does. It has the same kind of sensor so that's not suprising. But it is not spectacular in the slightest.

I said I thought the video (4K 30 FPS) is spectacular. I think the 12 mp still photos are strictly average. And I don't find the RAW much help in this case.

I don't haven't seen any X5 photos yet. I'll look at them.

My point remains that I think the camera in the P4 is good, at this price point, but I think it's the number one thing that needs to be upgraded the most. It's what the majority of drone users use their drone for. The units already fly well enough.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj