What should DJI do for the P5?

In actual seriousness, I'd like to see at least 2 different versions like a "Phantom 5" and a "Phantom 5 Pro" since these things are used commercially. Apparent sophistication over the older Phantoms is what turned me on to the P4 because, even though it was a toy to me, it appeared to be a more "serious" direction in the prosumer drone market.

I'd like to see the "pro" have robust parts, and I'd like to see those parts made to be easy to remove and replace. Getting back to my previous post about cracks, I'd like to see the motors connected to some type of inner frame so there are no cracks when R&R the motors, and I'd like to see quick disconnect connectors to the motors for their easy R&R.

The "pro" could also have some type of a better body like aluminum or CF, and OA added all around would be a plus. Also, the camera on the "pro" needs to be upgradeable since it is more likely to be used commercially. If DJI wants that on the regular P5, I wouldn't stop them.

Back to batteries. I'd like to see a top/center mounted battery to keep the battery and any higher capacity battery to maintain center of balance. I think that a other than the ability to up battery capacity, there would be no fear of the battery ejecting during spirited flight.

Again with the HDMI on the RC from the factory, and have the RC with some type of screen. I don't know anything about Lightbridge 2, but if it extends the range, then I want Lightbridge 3 to better that.

Sorry but NO
The phantom 4 is a step backwards in terms of becoming professional.
It has tighter restrictions that CANNOT be turned off!
it has integrated even more electronics making it harder to repair or upgrade.
It has stupid proofing (optical avoidance) which has the purpose of stopping stupid people from crashing.
It is whole heatedly a consumer device.

Also a Phantom 5 and phantom 5 pro is another stupid idea.
Why did they introduce the phantom 3 standard?
It was basically identical to the 2 vision + with only one change being that it does not require a PC to set up.
However with the phantom 4 they only introduced one version because it would have been stupid to bring out two versions with all the costs involved in two production lines when the standard would have been crapper than the phantom 3 pro.

You think of yourself as being so clever from all the posts i have read, but you are a boring old consumer through and through.
I am sorry to be harsh but people like you cause prices to be inflated because you want a 5 on the box when the 4 is identical except for not being a 5.

On a side note , i would like to see:

An accessory port to stack accessory boards.

A microphone port to plug in a mic.

An optional parachute accessory in case of emergency.

Optical zoom

Waterproofing

A gimble that allows you to hot swap cameras (maybe)

A speaker/mic accessory for audio communication

wireless USB to allow you to plug in a USB device on the drone and control it from the PC.

built in crash beeper.

GPS accessory in case of crash

Optical zoom

Waterproofing

wireless USB to allow you to plug in a USB device on the drone and control it from the PC.

built in crash beeper.

GPS accessory in case of crash

Optical zoom

Waterproofing

bunch of ridiculous items parachute/ mic /crash beeper lmfao

I've only had my P4 for a few weeks but I must say that I love it. It worked out of the box as expected and has proven to work as hoped for in every way. I have one single problem, the tilted horizon; everything else about this baby just delivers. However, obviously, things can get better.

Without getting crazy, we need to consider that this is a business and things cost money and if it's too expensive few will upgrade. And things you put in your main product have to benefit the largest number of users, not just answering a niche.

So, what are you Most looking for in whatever next model, presumably the Phantom 5, will be?

For me, and let me clear the obvious ones out so we don't all mention them:
Faster & Further - duh!

I'd like the ability to click off a photo while video is running.
Smart Automatic Landing: if above water, do not land, hover at 2 meters until, literally, battery failure, but do not automatically land in water.
Higher resolution Photos
Higher ISO (6400?) should be available in both video and photo.
Add Rear Obstacle Detection
Improved Obstacle Detection and Avoidance
Send charging power to Android/iDevice from controller (bigger battery if necessary), switchable
Optional OEM Water Landing "feet"

Semi-Related: Not an upgrade but a demand:
FIX the horizon tilt - this is class action category annoying DJI, hello?!

Octocopter. This would give it more stability in higher winds.

Sorry but NO
It has stupid proofing (optical avoidance) which has the purpose of stopping stupid people from crashing.

It was basically identical to the 2 vision + with only one change being that it does not require a PC to set up.
However with the phantom 4 they only introduced one version because it would have been stupid to bring out two versions with all the costs involved in two production lines when the standard would have been crapper than the phantom 3 pro.

You think of yourself as being so clever from all the posts i have read, but you are a boring old consumer through and through.
I am sorry to be harsh but people like you cause prices to be inflated because you want a 5 on the box when the 4 is identical except for not being a 5.

Optical zoom

Waterproofing

Woke up on the wrong side of the bed, did ya?

OK, not a Phantom 5 and a Phantom 5 Pro but a Phantom 5 and a Phantom 5 Plus?

Sorry but NO

A microphone port to plug in a mic

Optical zoom

Waterproofing

Microphone? Yes because you'd be able to hear everything at 500' over the motors.....

Optical Zoom? This is a consumer drone. You'll likely not see an optical zoom at this price point right now.

Waterproofing? Again, a consumer device with which most consumers don't/won't be flying in the rain.

The optical avoidance is also for flying indoors not just stupid people crashing.

Tighter restrictions that can't be turned off? I don't know why you'd want to fly within a no-fly zone anyway. As far as that and other restrictions go try a little research, you can remove them.

You don't want to be harsh but 2 of YOUR suggestions would likely result in the biggest price increases out of a majority mentioned. And a microphone? Talk about stupid ideas to drive up the price.

Seems your thong is a tad bit tight. Either that or you get off behind a keyboard belittling other members for voicing their opinions or thoughts. You don't like his posts yet you've taken the time to read them ?

Oh and P.S., at least that old member didn't have to post twice to try and get his point across [emoji106][emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I have a little over 1.5 million feet and almost 97 flights on my P4, which is my first quad. I've watched countless drone related videos on youtube and vimeo, and I try to keep up with this forum while browsing other drone forums. I don't call myself an expert...but I do have a little more experience than the general non-quad public.

With that, I see the DJI Phantom series evolving rather than going through revolutionary changes knowing what little I know from the first Phantoms to the 4. Also, from what I'm seeing about the new Inspire, it looks again like baby steps. Waterproofing and microphones, I don't see, but again, if they add both or at least "water resistance", I would put both new features in the plus category.

I'm betting DJI will continue the basic recognizable shape of the Phantom, and the evolution will continue with baby steps like Apple and its products. I'm guessing the US is one of their largest markets, but if the FAA comes down with tight or tighter regulation, a DJI gamble on a revolutionary "P" may be a losing proposition. Just saying'.

a lot of good ideas said already
As stated a lot of good ideas already but here is one looking at DJI's product from the inside. Having worked on a P2V+ V.3.0 replacing 2 motors and replacing one motor speed controller and recently trying to work on a crashed P3 Pro I see a trend in internal cheapness of construction from one to the other. I have not looked inside the P4 yet. The P2V+ survived its fall and was repairable the P3 Pro was a disaster inside... Case cracked, all kinds of mounts sheared off and every mount on the main board severed. Internal construction very weak and survivability much worse in a crash on the P3 Pro. The P3 fell from 30' I was told with prop guards on. It was clear it hit on the front arms/guards from grass stains. The case cracked so bad it threw the battery out and ruined it. DJI has gone to making it impossible to fix individual components almost everything on one board. The speed control boards don't have screws anymore they are melted to plastic studs. By the way they use the smallest cheapest metal screws that are difficult to remove and in some cases I had to drill out. I could go on and on but they are seriously making a very weak inside product. It will be a factory only repair because most components on one board now. They need to beef up design and engineer a robust frame and mount design. Bottom line they look good smell good but don't crash it on anything other than a pile of feathers.

Build in parashoot if props fail in mid air or bird strike.

Clip on camera and have a choice to swap cameras. Like the inspire

Retractable landing gear and a 360 multi lens camera

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I don't understand the desire for retractable landing gear or a 360 degree camera. Retracts are "cool" but they will be weaker than the fixed gear, induce extra weight, & they are only something else to break. As there is only one FPV camera, what purpose is served by allowing the camera to pan independent of the Phantom since you will no longer be able to see ahead? Just pan the bird! Again, this just adds more complexity & another weak spot in the overall design. Having a quick-connect camera/gimbal is a good idea.

Build in parashoot if props fail in mid air or bird strike.

Clip on camera and have a choice to swap cameras. Like the inspire

Retractable landing gear and a 360 multi lens camera

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: ftttu
Phantom 5 :D
ehang-184-1-sur-3.jpg

Reactions: RémyHeli
Microphone? Yes because you'd be able to hear everything at 500' over the motors.....

Optical Zoom? This is a consumer drone. You'll likely not see an optical zoom at this price point right now.

Waterproofing? Again, a consumer device with which most consumers don't/won't be flying in the rain.

The optical avoidance is also for flying indoors not just stupid people crashing.

Tighter restrictions that can't be turned off? I don't know why you'd want to fly within a no-fly zone anyway. As far as that and other restrictions go try a little research, you can remove them.

You don't want to be harsh but 2 of YOUR suggestions would likely result in the biggest price increases out of a majority mentioned. And a microphone? Talk about stupid ideas to drive up the price.

Seems your thong is a tad bit tight. Either that or you get off behind a keyboard belittling other members for voicing their opinions or thoughts. You don't like his posts yet you've taken the time to read them ?

Oh and P.S., at least that old member didn't have to post twice to try and get his point across [emoji106][emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Microphone would be directional facing down... not very difficult.

Waterproofing would be for those flying over water, it is very cheap and easy to do with a conformal coating over all the electronics (very cheap to do also and only there as an emergency feature)

Tighter restrictions turned off, you are either selfish or narrow minded, some people live in countries where those laws dont apply, some want to film themselfs ascending a mountain, some have paid work at an airport... so on so on.

Thigh only expensive feature would be optical zoom.

And before you pretend you know better, I am a prototype Engineer and work at a makerspace, i know what i am talking about.

I have a little over 1.5 million feet and almost 97 flights on my P4, which is my first quad. I've watched countless drone related videos on youtube and vimeo, and I try to keep up with this forum while browsing other drone forums. I don't call myself an expert...but I do have a little more experience than the general non-quad public.

With that, I see the DJI Phantom series evolving rather than going through revolutionary changes knowing what little I know from the first Phantoms to the 4. Also, from what I'm seeing about the new Inspire, it looks again like baby steps. Waterproofing and microphones, I don't see, but again, if they add both or at least "water resistance", I would put both new features in the plus category.

I'm betting DJI will continue the basic recognizable shape of the Phantom, and the evolution will continue with baby steps like Apple and its products. I'm guessing the US is one of their largest markets, but if the FAA comes down with tight or tighter regulation, a DJI gamble on a revolutionary "P" may be a losing proposition. Just saying'.

Just an FYI, It is flight hours that matter, but also experience because the phantom does all the flying, you just point it in the direction and go.
You worry me because you talk like you know alot but in reality you fall in the same category as various famous youtubers that really know nothing except push this button to go here, that lever to go higher ...

I apologize for the brashness of my last comment but when you have thousands of hours and hundreds of custom builds under your belt, then we will chat equally.

Reactions: WilsonFlyer
I've only had my P4 for a few weeks but I must say that I love it. It worked out of the box as expected and has proven to work as hoped for in every way. I have one single problem, the tilted horizon; everything else about this baby just delivers. However, obviously, things can get better.

Without getting crazy, we need to consider that this is a business and things cost money and if it's too expensive few will upgrade. And things you put in your main product have to benefit the largest number of users, not just answering a niche.

So, what are you Most looking for in whatever next model, presumably the Phantom 5, will be?

For me, and let me clear the obvious ones out so we don't all mention them:
Faster & Further - duh!

I'd like the ability to click off a photo while video is running.
Smart Automatic Landing: if above water, do not land, hover at 2 meters until, literally, battery failure, but do not automatically land in water.
Higher resolution Photos
Higher ISO (6400?) should be available in both video and photo.
Add Rear Obstacle Detection
Improved Obstacle Detection and Avoidance
Send charging power to Android/iDevice from controller (bigger battery if necessary), switchable
Optional OEM Water Landing "feet"

Semi-Related: Not an upgrade but a demand:
FIX the horizon tilt - this is class action category annoying DJI, hello?!

Most of the above but most of all, six motors which will hopefully allow it to come home in the event a motor or esc fails (like I had happen to me).

Just an FYI, It is flight hours that matter, but also experience because the phantom does all the flying, you just point it in the direction and go.
You worry me because you talk like you know alot but in reality you fall in the same category as various famous youtubers that really know nothing except push this button to go here, that lever to go higher ...

I apologize for the brashness of my last comment but when you have thousands of hours and hundreds of custom builds under your belt, then we will chat equally.
No need to apologize, but if only "experts" were able to put forth their opinions in open forums, there would be no forums. I've been in chat rooms and forums since 1991, and before that, I'd call into talk radio shows. Someone unhappy with my opinions here or other forums isn't going to stop me now.

This thread is supposed to be about the Phantom 5 being an open slate, and we, as consumers, offering our opinions of how we'd like to see it optioned and featured. So, I believe that in reality, DJI will continue to evolve rather than revolutionize the Phantom line while not offering microphone jacks, pontoons, waterproofing, parachutes, retractable landing gear, 360 deg camera, downed bird locator, quick remove gimbal/camera, carbon fiber/aluminum shell, 4G/LTE control, permanent horizon fix, 360 deg optical avoidance, shell cracking remedy, etc.

I can see the P5 released with an actual hard or soft shell case, longer battery life, optional colors, rear optical object avoidance, and possibly a RC with some type of screen.

We will just have to see.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl