What should DJI do for the P5?

The SuperZoom doesn't need LightBridge. It has the feature I've been waiting for...4G in the controller & the drone. Basically unlimited controller range as long as you have a cellular data connection. :cool:

That's a good looking Walkera. Too bad it doesn't have Lightbridge. I can't believe anyone would trust cellular to control a drone, given the latency issues. That seems destine to cause an incident that will affect us all. However, I'm really interested in that zoom camera. That's quite a feat to make it light enough for a drone in that class.

That's a good looking Walkera. Too bad it doesn't have Lightbridge. I can't believe anyone would trust cellular to control a drone, given the latency issues. That seems destine to cause an incident that will affect us all. However, I'm really interested in that zoom camera. That's quite a feat to make it light enough for a drone in that class.
I want to see how the lag is on this thing but still no test videos. Also, I think it looks great, but if the materials and performance are Yuneec H like, then it is still a lesser bird than the P4.

If this thing really is a solid pro-sumer competitor to the P4, I can only hope it make DJI up their game. The retractable landing gear doesn't do anything for me, but the get-down-to-business looks is a positive. If it looks like a toy or it lacks sophistication, it won't push my button to possibly purchase some day.

I wish for nothing more than a phantom 4 that will not stress crack like my last two and a gimbal that is always level. That's it. As for object avoidance, I don't need them. I would much prefer to have their weight converted to extra shell strength in order to never have this happen again.
20160709_205136.jpg

Reactions: Yiannis.B
Going to agree.. I really like my Phantom but I'm not digging the cracked shell deal. I will not buy a P4 because I do not want to see another stress crack. If the 5 fixs that issue i'm in. If it doesn't I'm exploring new options.

I wish for nothing more than a phantom 4 that will not stress crack like my last two and a gimbal that is always level. That's it. As for object avoidance, I don't need them. I would much prefer to have their weight converted to extra shell strength in order to never have this happen again.
View attachment 60365
I personally don't want extra shell strength unless it comes in the way of something like a quality carbon fiber on aluminum. The need to have the motors connected to something where the screws can be torqued down several times without causing these cracks. That's why I'd like to see a metallic skeleton inside of the arms where the motors screw onto.

I don't know how it would be designed, but I'd like to see some type of cruise control where your speed is easier controlled than with a spring-loaded joystick. It would help in different situations, but notably during distance runs. One way I see this is with that feature built into the RC on the screen that it doesn't yet have.

Nobody discussing about Go App or firmware updates? Not essential but goes with happy user experience.

For Go App I would ie suggest more flexibility for displayed information such as customizable objects (what/where/size) or switchable themes (ie in photo mode more focus on related photo components), more info in hdmi output such as icon showing bird orientation, sdcard status check warnings at startup and when flying (ie missing or almost full), integrated screen recorder, etc.

And for firmware update be more explicit when aksing to upgrade battery (saying "device" is really unclear) or ask to the user if more batteries to upgrade on same row.

Also not essential but more transparency on user guidance/manuals as ie saying it's not recommended to charge both RC and battery at the same time without any explanation but cable and connectors are allowing this...

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
Going to agree.. I really like my Phantom but I'm not digging the cracked shell deal. I will not buy a P4 because I do not want to see another stress crack. If the 5 fixs that issue i'm in. If it doesn't I'm exploring new options.

This is a fair point and many experienced similar stress cracks. Not sure I have seen someone advising possible cause and I don't want to get them too. Assuming not related to crash, any idea what could cause this? Sport mode with brutal brakes or turns?

Reactions: bighi
Everybody seems to want horizontal distance and speed -- and yet the two are contrary to what the FAA rules require -- can you see your quadcopter and can you fly at a speed that is safe for everyone. I get it -- flying far and fast is fun but the rules are concerned with safety. If fun can't be had within the rules -- then we have to know that the rules will only get more stringent. What should we do as a group?

The FAA guidelines on VLOS were written in an era when there was no FPV or telemetry & flying within VLOS was a necessity. These guidelines on VLOS are outdated.

Everybody seems to want horizontal distance and speed -- and yet the two are contrary to what the FAA rules require -- can you see your quadcopter and can you fly at a speed that is safe for everyone. I get it -- flying far and fast is fun but the rules are concerned with safety. If fun can't be had within the rules -- then we have to know that the rules will only get more stringent. What should we do as a group?

how about just some better customer service would be nice

Reactions: Yiannis.B
This is a fair point and many experienced similar stress cracks. Not sure I have seen someone advising possible cause and I don't want to get them too. Assuming not related to crash, any idea what could cause this? Sport mode with brutal brakes or turns?

Nah, no brutal braking or turning. That is the first assumption most make. In my case I've never done one. Here is what causes stress cracks. Flying. Not hovering about. Start flying for the pure sport of it and distance covered starts to look like the picture below and the stress cracks come. Call it accelerated testing. Also, for the distance flyers, it comes with the territory. The good thing is that DJI still covers stress cracks. They've already replaced shells on two phantom 4's for me free of charge. After all no crash was involved.
Screenshot_2016-07-23-16-41-09.png

Reactions: RémyHeli
360 video! Higher MP camera, longer flight time, brighter "anti-collision" lights as specified in Part 107 for civil twilight flights. Different mount on radio for neck strap so it will balance better with a larger iPad device.

Nah, no brutal braking or turning. That is the first assumption most make. In my case I've never done one. Here is what causes stress cracks. Flying. Not hovering about. Start flying for the pure sport of it and distance covered starts to look like the picture below and the stress cracks come. Call it accelerated testing. Also, for the distance flyers, it comes with the territory. The good thing is that DJI still covers stress cracks. They've already replaced shells on two phantom 4's for me free of charge. After all no crash was involved.
View attachment 60567

Ok thanks bighi. Possible magnesium alloy microstructure fatigue under long term axial stress plus vibrations absorbtion. Also large crystal grains are reputed more sensible to high temperature; if fatigue test was correctly conducted while desiging the product, then can be batch problem moulding temperature causing inadequate molecular static tensile. Electron-microscope needed to observe cracks in details.

P.S: just googled magnesium stress crack and these are my personal observations based on findings

My suggestions:
1.) Have gimble on camera operate past 90 degrees, (Straight Down) That way track / fly can fly forward (obstacle avoidance) while tracking an object moving towards the P4: Perhaps +10 (forward to -110 (90 + 20 backwards) This is the exact range of motion currently available (+30 to 90). (Currently the P4 needs to "fly backwards to track an object approaching)
2.) Able to "snap in" different camera modules (camera with different lens), FLIR, etc.
3.) Add Panorama control to Smart Controls. (Both Video and Photo). Allow user input for rate turn (angular speed), clockwise & Counter-Clockwise rotation.)
4.) Allow C1, C2 buttons to control "dry contact" for add on devices, Eg C1 Can Control a parachute deploy during adverse operating conditions., Maybe C2 could control EMERGENCY Strobe Light, or deploy a smoke tracking device: Have connector with 4 pin header easily accessible to outside of unit.
5.) Broken Prop, Engine fail, or other catastrophic damage mode: . Have sensors determine broken prop and try to land with three props (It may not be pretty) but a softer landing is better than straight fall. (eg cut power on two props rotating in the same direction, and full power on counter rotating prop)
6.) Add flight routing software (DJI Ground Control) for P4. This is a must have for anyone using drones for aerial surveying. This can be either PC or Mobile app developed routes. Or allow 3rd Party to create map and then download so Mobile App can import and run the routes. (Currently cannot import 3rd party waypoints!)
7.) Add bluetooth for downloading of all data, flight telemetry, photos, videos, etc. (only from ground, not in flying mode). That way never need to plug in cables or remove flash card.

Lastly I am completely new to flying a drone, I have about 3 -4 hours total. I picked one a P4 and it has been quite easy to fly. I simply cannot get over how stable the unit is, especially in winds.. The pictures are pretty good, (but not as good as if taken with better camera, albiet much heavier lens, which would be much shorter flights). It is a very good trade off and I would highly recommend the P4 to anyone, considering a quad-copter in anywhere near this price point.

Rick

6.) Add flight routing software (DJI Ground Control) for P4. This is a must have for anyone using drones for aerial surveying. This can be either PC or Mobile app developed routes. Or allow 3rd Party to create map and then download so Mobile App can import and run the routes. (Currently cannot import 3rd party waypoints!)

Litchi supports P4 using iPad or Android on the RC. Check it out, I'm sure you'll like it, only $25. It's capable of 100% autonomous flight. You can layout the flight path on your PC at home and sync to the tabet, or layout the path on the iPad/Android in the field. Then upload the path to the craft and send it out on the mission, even beyond radio range, around mountains or tall buildings. It opens up a load of options not possible before.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic