What sensor used in Phantom 4 camera?

Reaction score
Not mentioned in the official spec:

045246tx6ktvtn6hn64jnv.jpg

Can't be answered by DJI:
Untitled.jpg

Pretty sure it is still the Sony EXMOR R. In fact, I'd bet it's the same camera throughout as the P3P.

Exactly the same? Then why P3P not capable to do 1080p 120fps

The P3P hardware is exactly the same as a GoPro Hero 4 Black. It can do 1080/120. It's just not enabled. DJI doesn't enable all the modes on all cameras. 2.7K wasn't there for a long time and 2.7K/48 still isn't there as far as I know.

Maybe the P4 has a newer variant of the A9 SOC but it ain't gonna be much different.

I was wondering the same thing. Since DJI has pointed out, very proudly, the brand name of the camera sensor in the Phantom 3 (i.e., Sony and Panasonic), they would do the same for the Phantom 4 if the sensor was a brand name sensor. I strongly suspect that the sensor in the Phantom 4 is based on DJI's specs for the Phantom 3, but not a brand name, therefore DJI can obtain them at a lower cost. This doesn't mean the sensor is not as good as a brand name sensor, it just means DJI can't proudly promote the brand name as they did with the Phantom 3. Remember... the Phantom is assembled in China, and many, many good camera products/sensors come from China that have no recognizable brand name to the average user.

These look much better than what came from my p3p. This is just the jpg, and not the raw photo. I am not sure if just a lens can make this huge of an improvement.

DJI_0017.jpg

I'm sure these were edited from a raw file and then converted to a jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I wonder if at this point the DJI / Hasselblad partnership has yielded any improvements. although I'm probably dreaming if I think they will make it to the P4.

The P3P/A sensor is a Sony Exmor R, very likely to be the 4K capable IMX117CQT that was released in 2012. So it's 4 year old technology. Sony don't seem to have made a new 12MP Exmor R until the IMX377 that was only announced around the same time as the P3 started shipping and is highly unlikely to have been in the P3 camera. If the P4 was using the new IMX377 I would think DJI would be making a big fuss about this rather than a slightly better lens.

These look much better than what came from my p3p. This is just the jpg, and not the raw photo. I am not sure if just a lens can make this huge of an improvement.

Looks about the same to me, you can still see noise in the blue sky and look at the mushy detail in the trees at the top right, I have seen P3P and Inspire 1 X3 photos at least as sharp as this.

The P3P hardware is exactly the same as a GoPro Hero 4 Black. It can do 1080/120. It's just not enabled. DJI doesn't enable all the modes on all cameras. 2.7K wasn't there for a long time and 2.7K/48 still isn't there as far as I know.

Not sure about that... check out Sony's tech info on the IMX117, the sensor readout maxes out at 1332 x 1000 resolution at 120P http://www.sony.net/Products/SC-HP/cx_news_archives/img/pdf/vol_70/imx117cqt.pdf

In contrast, the new IMX377 can handle a 2048 x 1080 readout at 120P http://www.sony.net/Products/SC-HP/...s/IMX377EQH5_ProductSummary_v1.5_20150414.pdf

The IMX117 matches the tech specs listed for the P3 @ 12.4M effective pixels. The P4 specs are a little more ambiguous @ simply 12M effective pixels. The newer sensor is listed as 12.35M effective pixels on Sony's docs. Perhaps there's a correlation, perhaps not.

Last edited:
Reactions: CianMcLiam
Not sure about that... check out Sony's tech info on the IMX117CQT, the sensor readout maxes out at 1332 x 1000 resolution at 120P http://www.sony.net/Products/SC-HP/cx_news_archives/img/pdf/vol_70/imx117cqt.pdf

In contrast, the new IMX377 can handle a 2048 x 1080 readout at 120P http://www.sony.net/Products/SC-HP/...s/IMX377EQH5_ProductSummary_v1.5_20150414.pdf

The IMX117CQT matches the tech specs listed for the P3 @ 12.4M effective pixels. The P4 specs are a little more ambiguous @ simply 12M effective pixels. The newer sensor is listed as 12.35M effective pixels on Sony's docs. Perhaps there's a correlation, perhaps not.

Good spot, the Go Pro Hero 4 apparently uses the IMX377 sensor as well, so perhaps this is what is in the P4. It could also have been in the P3P since the Hero 4 was announced in late 2014.

What makes you think that ?

These were posted by a DJI tech.
"Just some photos from Tahoe. They have not been altered. It is JPEG only. I will take some RAW later. This camera is a vast improvement over the P3P. There have been several posts that indicate possible reasons for the improvement. I have not received information on the specific improvements that make this happen. But it is significant. These were taken using a ND 8 filter."

I really am hoping for better quality stills. My first P3P was OK but when it crashed in Dec I went through 2 loaners that were crap (especially one, not in focus at all). When I got mine back from DJI rebuilt with new camera, it was also not as good as my original - which wasn't truly great, just good enough. Assuming you get one that's in focus I really think the problem is the lens which is what they say is now improved.

I have seen some promising images from P4s so I'm hoping...

These were posted by a DJI tech.
"Just some photos from Tahoe. They have not been altered. It is JPEG only. I will take some RAW later. This camera is a vast improvement over the P3P. There have been several posts that indicate possible reasons for the improvement. I have not received information on the specific improvements that make this happen. But it is significant. These were taken using a ND 8 filter."

Ah, gotcha !! Although, I don't know that I trust the DJI techs too much lol !!! Ha ha ha

I wonder why the image is in the wide aspect ratio, rather than the full image from the sensor? You need to see the corners to see how much the lens has been improved and the pic above has these cropped out. Is there a link to the original posts with the pics?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj