What range do you get with your R/C transmitter ?

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

What range do you get with your standard DJI R/C transmitter ?

Thank you, but I was asking about the P2, not the the P2 Vision.

Still great range on the Vision though.

More than 3000 m with stock TX/RX and I could have gone farther.
Many flights around 2200~2500 m.

I have just upgraded to a Futaba T8FGS, I would be very disappointed not to get the same range...

I get 900m with my Futaba 14, sometimes 1100m but thats it. Will switch to the standard Dji now to check.

I've done 1030m (300m altitude), and the limiting factor became the FPV transmission.

First, it looks more and more like the stock TX/RX on the P2 is no slouch so kudos to DJI. For those with range issues on the Futaba 8FG/14SG, you should be getting at least the same range as the stock. If not, you need to look closely at your antenna placement and consider getting longer antennas where you are not getting all the way down the landing gear. Keep your antennas away from ESCs and motors, especially the tips. The tips should be straight and as unobstructed as possible. Finally, your FPV TX should be as far away as possible from your RX antennas.

Fanti said:
Tried the stock one today. 3500m !! So much better than that crappy Futaba...

3,500m is amazing on any set up but you might want to check your installation before you write off the Futaba. Most of the RC community considers Futaba the gold standard. In fact, the stock TX/RX is using Futaba's protocol so you should at least be getting the same range.

For everyone else, forgot to mention that the Futabas have a range test function where you turn on the RC a special way that limits output power to a fraction of normal. You walk away from the receiver until you can no longer signal it. That should give you an idea of range before you fly and is useful in testing your setup.

Thanks. I know it is considered the gold standard, but, for me at least, it is no good.

I checked the installation, all seems to be good. Even tried repositioning the antennas a bit, no change. So in the end I will stick with stock, and sell the Futaba. Not in the mood for headaches, prefer to fly hassle free.

Fanti said:
I checked the installation, all seems to be good. Even tried repositioning the antennas a bit, no change.

I had a nightmare after switching receivers for a Futaba where I would experience signal loss at a short distance compared to the stock receiver. No matter where I sited the antennae in and around the P2 it made no difference. I eventually bought some Futaba 400mm extended antennae and was able to place the tips at the lowest point on the legs to give maximum exposure and away from the electronics and since then I have had no problems at all. It's been way out past 1km with no signs of signal degredation so maybe you should give that a go before you write off Futaba?

Details are here http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=7573#p67649

I got 3600m so far.

Is the lower screw to set FCC mode like on the Vision ?

Fanti said:
I got 3600m so far.

This is one question we would ALL like to know the answer to !

2trickpony said:
Fanti said:
I got 3600m so far.

This is one question we would ALL like to know the answer to !

I've seen at least one quote by a DJI rep in rcgroups stating that it only applies to the 5.8GHz controller (i.e. only P2V).

Fanti said:
Tried the stock one today. 3500m !! So much better than that crappy Futaba...

After changing to Futaba T8FGS I feared I could get a shorter range, reading somme comments here, but it's not the case.
I got more than 3000m with stock radio and this morning I made 3300m with the Futaba (Futaba receiver + one long 400mm Futaba antenna).
Perfect for me as I don't need that much.

Jimpic said:
I made 3300m with the Futaba (Futaba receiver + one long 400mm Futaba antenna).

That's good to know. I've gone to 1700m so far with my 8J. Adding the longer antennae definately makes a difference.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.