What Radio F450 and S1000 in the future

Reaction score
Hi All

I've learnt to fly with a Phantom 2 and GoPro. I now want to get an F450 to learn more advanced flying techniques (with out an expensive gimbal attached) with the idea of of getting an S1000 (or similar) in a year or so.

My question is what radio to get. I like the Futaba T8J 8channel radio, which sounds great. Is there any need for more channels than this with a DJI S1000?

What radio's do people use?

I see many websites offering RTF S1000's with the Futaba 14SG 14channel radio. Is this required or is just being flash?

I don't want to buy an expensive radio now and then have to change to another expensive radio in the future.

Thanks All

Meinthai said:
Hi All

I've learnt to fly with a Phantom 2 and GoPro. I now want to get an F450 to learn more advanced flying techniques (with out an expensive gimbal attached) with the idea of of getting an S1000 (or similar) in a year or so.

My question is what radio to get. I like the Futaba T8J 8channel radio, which sounds great. Is there any need for more channels than this with a DJI S1000?

What radio's do people use?

I see many websites offering RTF S1000's with the Futaba 14SG 14channel radio. Is this required or is just being flash?

I don't want to buy an expensive radio now and then have to change to another expensive radio in the future.

Thanks All

You are asking us to give you a prediction...........that's not going to happen. Nobody can predict how technology is going to change. I say go big now with a Futaba 14SG and it will work for many years to come but as with everything else, technology will change. You want a bird with nothing on it so you can do some fancy flying.....so you don't need so many channels. I would go with the minimum a S450 needs to function but keep in mind, you'll want to add other features later and without open channels to do it with you'll end up having to buy another radio. This hobby is expensive and if you try to cut corners........you will end up spending more later. Make the right purchase the first time and then you aren't second guessing yourself. Good Luck!!!

OI Photography said:
*cough*Taranis has 16 channels (or up to 32) for a more budget-minded price*cough* :D

:lol: ......and in a month he'll be on here ranting about his "fly away".

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Not necessarily but i'm a creature of habit. If it's not a Spektrum or Futaba.....I'm just not comfortable in the air. That's just me.

I like the Futaba because there are so many out there that you can find help with ease. On this forum, there are a couple of profiles for the Phantom (and DJI compatibles). Lots and lots of time is saved if you want to go with them. They are more expensive but they are good. One of their negatives is that they are hard to understand at first but the canned profiles help you get over that learning curve.

I have another tx/rx combo that is much cheaper but it also works. (Devo). There some that think it sucks but I've not had a problem. It just had too few channels for what I wanted to do.

One other plus is that DJI equipment is also compatible with the Futaba gear. I fly my Phantom 2 with a T8FGHS radio and the stock Phantom rx. It works like a champ. I fly my A2 system on the 810 with a 14sg and it works just like it does on the other airframes.

The gear a person has will probably always be their favorite - the Taranis has great reviews and so do others. Pick a good brand that has user support and go for it.

Taranis has a huge help base has most capabilities than a like priced futaba or spektrum.

Here is my thread I started about how my taranis is set up...
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13500

And a radio isn't causing the fly away... If that was the case, wouldn't you blame all the Phantom fly aways on Futaba since they are all based on FASST??? :?

Boozshey said:
Taranis has a huge help base has most capabilities than a like priced futaba or spektrum.

Here is my thread I started about how my taranis is set up...
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13500

And a radio isn't causing the fly away... If that was the case, wouldn't you blame all the Phantom fly aways on Futaba since they are all based on FASST??? :?

Thanks for the link. I'll go over it. I think the Futaba has negatives (as do all of them). But in the end, I own two and like them both so I'm happy (read my post about the one you have is going to be your favorite). However, I'm not focused on them so hard that I can't see others are fine, too. I kinda went to them because of the compatibility and ready help. If I had a Taranis, I'm sure I would be bugging you and Ol Photography a lot. ;-}

I think fly-aways are deeper than the radio link - after all, the Naza is supposed to be the one that flies home if there is a problem. I'm leaning towards three reasons.

1. User error (80%) includes faulty tx setup, faulty Naza setup, faulty piloting, runing the GoPro WiFi
2. Naza failure (19%)
3. Unknown (1%)

The above statistics were made up by me on the spot so they must be real - besides they are on the Internet now and that makes them legit. :lol:

edit: maybe 90/9/1
edit2: maybe 95/4/1

Great link!!! Great info!! Had I known better I would have gone with the Futaba. I use Spektrum for my offroad and onoad rc stuff so that's what I'm used to

In answer to the original question.
an 8-channel Tx is just fine for a F450
although if you foresee yourself getting a larger copter , a few more channels might come in handy (for retracts and the ability to pan/roll a gimbaled camera). -some like to set up so they can switch on lights, or switch between a small FPV camera and/or GoPro while in mid-air.
- however many who fly the larger craft end up using a 2nd Tx just for a camera operator.

Hi All

Thank you for the lively conversation :)

Gizmo3000 - thanks for your incite

Now you've said that I've put a list of channels and uses together and I see how fast you can fill up 8 channels!

1-Pitch
2-Roll
3-Yaw
4-Throttle
5-GPS/ATTI/Manual mode
6-Failsafe/return home
7-retractable undercarriage
8-Change FPV camera view

I'll see if I can afford the upgrade now.

All the best

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1