What purpose does the DJI Fed Module Serve?

Reaction score
A few months back I had a GPS failure on my brand new Vision+ which caused it to crash and damaged the gimbal. Although it took 6 weeks to repair, DJI did so at no cost to me (yaaayy). But when I got my Phantom back I noticed there was an additional module preventing the installation of the flight battery. After pushing it aside with a pencil I was able to install the battery and have enjoyed numerous flights.

I did however notice that since getting my repaired, and firmware updated Phantom back from DJI it was flying significantly slower. Say around 26 - 27 MPH, regardless of weather conditions.

Last night I took my phantom up for a spin and noticed it was flying significantly faster, like 41.4MPH! It startled me enough that I looked around to take note of the weather conditions. I was flying in GPS mode and had between 7 & 9 satellites. Other than the top speed, there was nothing unusual about this flight. The vehicle performed superbly!

When I packed up my helicopter to go home I found this module sitting in the bottom of my carrying case. It obviously had broken off before I flew the helicopter. So what purpose does this 'fed module' serve other than to act as a governor?
BuSeB0QIAAAFWGK.jpg:large

It looks like one of the WiFi antennas. There should be two square(ish) patch antennas visible inside the battery compartment. One on each side, off center, one slightly forward of the other. The antenna wires from these go to the internal WiFi module. Since there are two WiFi antennas you may not have noticed any problem in operation.

I think fed is short for feed as in video feed. Wlan is wifi.

There's some glue remaining where the antenna wire was soldered to the board.
It may have been lose and you pushed it aside to get the battery in but when you removed the battery you may have caught it and ripped it out.

cahutch said:
It looks like one of the WiFi antennas. There should be two square(ish) patch antennas visible inside the battery compartment. One on each side, off center, one slightly toward the front and one slightly toward the back. The antenna wires from these go to the internal WiFi module. Since there are two WiFi antennas you may not have noticed any problem in operation.

I think fed is short for feed as in video feed. Wlan is wifi.

There's some glue remaining where the antenna wire was soldered to the board.
It may have been lose and you pushed it aside to get the battery in but when you removed the battery you may have caught it and ripped it out.

Your right :cool:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    479.3 KB · Views: 985
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    477.7 KB · Views: 1,017
Its indeed a wifi antenna for the V+.
And also there is no arrow on it, thats odd.
Check inside the battery compartment if you have in front of the bird 2 likewise antenna's installed with a white arrow on it pointing forwards.

cahutch said:
It looks like one of the WiFi antennas. There should be two square(ish) patch antennas visible inside the battery compartment. One on each side, off center, one slightly forward of the other.

I think you are spot on! It is identical to the other fed module that is still installed. I'll take it apart and reinstall it and let you know how it goes. Thanks for all the great tips!

I resoldered the fed module and it worked fine....for a few weeks. Now the video replay has stopped working altogether which is really odd given that the gimbal and camera controls work fine, ie it takes photos and records, just no relay.

RaleighVision+ said:
I resoldered the fed module and it worked fine....for a few weeks. Now the video replay has stopped working altogether which is really odd given that the gimbal and camera controls work fine, ie it takes photos and records, just no relay.

Pictures of your resoldered module ?
Only video or telemetry as well ?

ToThePoint said:
RaleighVision+ said:

Only video or telemetry as well ?[/quote

I had this same deal today and it was my phone had so many back pages open it was getting confused for sake of a better description. I rebooted before flying and all was good. ?

RIDETOEAT said:
ToThePoint said:
RaleighVision+ said:

Only video or telemetry as well ?[/quote

I had this same deal today and it was my phone had so many back pages open it was getting confused for sake of a better description. I rebooted before flying and all was good. ?

Thats why i asked the questions because i suspected it had nothing to do with the DJI stuff.
Also a software update can cause it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31