what photo and video settings do i use

Reaction score
hi team i have a Phantom 4
I am about to head down to Dusky Sound thats at the Bottom of New Zealand were Captian Cook found us :)
( google Map It )
Its just a Full on Landscape flying Paradise and am hoping i can get some help with Camera settings a lot of flying is both over the sea and mountains .
i have filters ect ....
but do i need to film in 4K or is 2.7 or even 1080 good enough this is for my own usage
i also struggle to get a perfect Photo with the Drone as well i have watched so much youtube on this but so many different views
i do know i need to keep flying it to learn but a few tips wouldn't go a miss thanks
RichieNz

Tips:

Video: iso 100, shutter speed always double frame rate or close as posisble.. Use nd filters, try out different white balances and colour settings, good choices are normal, d-log, cinelike

Photo:

take 10 different photos of the same thing whilst the drone is hovering, change the shutterspeed for each photo, see what comes out best

Photo:
take 10 different photos of the same thing whilst the drone is hovering, change the shutterspeed for each photo, see what comes out best
Really? 10 shots at different shutter speeds?
Sorry but that doesn't make much sense.

Richie needs to go out and get as much practice as he can flying and using the camera, before the trip.
For someone that doesn't know much about photography, just set your camera on aperture priority, ISO 100, Aperture f 5.6 and you'll be fine.

And Richie, if you are doing things from a boat down there, you'll need to be able to hand catch (and probably launch as well).
You need to have experience on land doing anything you will have to do on a boat.

Reactions: Richienz

You ever seen a professional photographer shoot :) they take hunderds and thousands of pics to get a lot less that they actally keep, all the while changing shutter speeds etc, within reason obviously. I don't mean go through each and all shutter speeds lol.

when i find something i really want to get a good photo of, i take at least 3-4 changing the settings as i shoot, then when back at the computer i will for sure get a good pic.. maybe 10 was an exaggeration,

Last edited:

Richie needs to go out and get as much practice as he can flying and using the camera, before the trip.
For someone that doesn't know much about photography, just set your camera on aperture priority, ISO 100, Aperture f 5.6 and you'll be fine.

And Richie, if you are doing things from a boat down there, you'll need to be able to hand catch (and probably launch as well).
You need to have experience on land doing anything you will have to do on a boat.
Thanks very much for your reply i have been doing a lot of flying most days and yes i can hand launch and catch :)
thanks for the tips on photos
is it worth me filming in 4K i have everything i need to watch it back on and process it with or is there room for error and safe to just do it in 1080P?

Thanks very much for your reply i have been doing a lot of flying most days and yes i can hand launch and catch :)
thanks for the tips on photos
is it worth me filming in 4K i have everything i need to watch it back on and process it with or is there room for error and safe to just do it in 1080P?

Why wouldnt you want to film in 4k? You can always downscale it to 1080,but you cant upscale 1080 to 4k :)

Reactions: Phil H and len750
ok i see what your saying i am yet to film and edit in 4K i use the basic App software thats about it to make short films i need to learn to up my game :)
also filming on cloudy days need to make it look nicer too trust me its not threw trying maybe overthinking too much in settings

You ever seen a professional photographer shoot :) they take hundreds and thousands of pics to get a lot less that they actally keep, all the while changing shutter speeds etc, within reason obviously. I don't mean go through each and all shutter speeds lol.

when i find something i really want to get a good photo of, i take at least 3-4 changing the settings as i shoot, then when back at the computer i will for sure get a good pic.. maybe 10 was an exaggeration,
Yes ... I'm familiar with the way pros shoot. I take a lot of photos myself.
Rather than going through your shutter speeds, if you want to go that way, you might better to just use the AEB feature to give you 3 variations of exposure for each shot.

Reactions: Dazzauk
Rather than going through your shutter speeds, if you want to go that way, you might better to just use the AEB feature to give you 3 variations of exposure for each shot.

I would love to understand the AEB feature :)
I don't know what it does lol.

I would love to understand the AEB feature :)
I don't know what it does lol.
If you set your camera to shoot AEB (Auto Exposure Bracketing), instead of one photo per shot it will shoot a bracket of 3 or 5 with varying exposures.
Here is a bracket of 3
i-t3Pcxgz.jpg

It shoots one at the correct exposure according to the meter, one under exposed and one at over exposed.
The exposure difference is 0.7 stop.
This is useful if metering might be a little tricky or to be able to combine multiple exposures in HDR.

If you set your camera to shoot AEB (Auto Exposure Bracketing), instead of one photo per shot it will shoot a bracket of 3 or 5 with varying exposures.
Here is a bracket of 3
i-t3Pcxgz.jpg

It shoots one at the correct exposure according to the meter, one under exposed and one at over exposed.
The exposure difference is 0.7 stop.
This is useful if metering might be a little tricky or to be able to combine multiple exposures in HDR.

Thanks META4 :)

can you do this in Manula mode?

Daz

Tip: with iDevice and GO4 app you can zoom up to 3K res.

So you can both zoom at 3K and have great source for rendering at lower res.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl