What Percent to Leave P2 Batteries After Deep Discharge

Reaction score
Hi All,
I know that batteries are discussed much on this forum but there is one part of that equation that I cannot seen to find an answer for. What percentage of battery charge to leave the P2 battery after a deep discharge?

I have just completed my first deep discharge of my 2 P2 batteries. Will be going out of town for sometime before I get to fly again. What percentage condition should I leave the batteries in, having just deep discharged (To 9%)

[*]Full charge (100%)
[*]Half Charge (40%-50%)
[*] Quarter Charge (25%)
[*] As Is until I return (9%)

Thanks!

Lithium Polymer batteries usually follow the 40-60% rule. Most RC Hobbiest Groups/Forums I have seen suggest a good way to do that is to fully charge, and then discharge to that level, then store. They should be kept at 40 and 70 degrees F, and checked periodically to ensure the charge level is still in that range.

Thanks! I do normally keep the batteries at 50% between flights. Just do not know if I have time to fully charge, then 1/2 discharge the two batteries before I leave. I figured it would be worse to just charge to 50% so I was toying with leaving them at the current 9% until I return and can fly again in 2 or 3 weeks...............

So, I guess that is my real question. If I do not have the choice to fully recharge and then discharge to 50%, should I:

- Leave at 9%, or
-Charge to 50%, or
-Charge to 100%

For approximately 3 weeks.....................

btvarner said:
Thanks! I do normally keep the batteries at 50% between flights. Just do not know if I have time to fully charge, then 1/2 discharge the two batteries before I leave. I figured it would be worse to just charge to 50% so I was toying with leaving them at the current 9% until I return and can fly again in 2 or 3 weeks...............

So, I guess that is my real question. If I do not have the choice to fully recharge and then discharge to 50%, should I:

- Leave at 9%, or
-Charge to 50%, or
-Charge to 100%

For approximately 3 weeks.....................

I would say charge to 50%... the first option can be disastrous to your battery life, and the third is "not suggested".

On a related note, other than the occasional recommended deep discharges, it's a good idea to "leave some power" on your battery after a flight. The less of a discharge on each use, the longer they will last. That's a rule that holds relatively true for virtually every battery technology.

I would not leave it at 9% for an extended period. Just charge to 50% and you should be good.

Agree charge to 50%

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj