What PC are you using for your video/editing

Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase a pc primarily to play and edit my videos really don't want to spend too much money if the primary use of it is going to be for editing video playback. Can you all tell me what pc's you are using or give me some recommendations on pc's ? Thanks

I assume you plan to edit 4K footage. Unfortunately you will probably find that buying a purpose PC, editing in your case, you will be in the upper end of pricing. Do your research and choose wisely so you are sure to get something that will fit your needs.

Yes that is correct thats why im asking advice from those who may be doing samething i want to do perhaps they can help me make a wise choice

Reactions: LuvMyTJ
I know very little about gaming pc's etc so unfortunately im still clueless. Recommendations appreciated

I recommend a MacBook Pro, but the price is not for the faint of heart. I recently purchased a loaded 15" and the price almost made my fall over. Maybe I did because I woke up with a lump on my head and my pockets were empty! :D

An asus RoG laptop should get you what you need. I bought one for video editing and photo editing on 60+ Meg photos. It works like a charm and is ~1,000 less than a Macbook pro, plus it has better specs at a reduced priced.

As far as macbook pro is there any specific spec i need bc i seen some with diff GHz & some i5 & i7, & diff GB?
The Asus laptop is an eye opener for me to particularly bc i was recently recommended an Asus zenpad z10 tablet with awesome specs no lags etc. These 2 i will definitely be looking into & being the price difference Asus sounds like a GO for me. Thanks guys

I'd go for an i7 cpu with quad cores. I'd also go for as much ram as you can. Sometimes it's cheaper getting ram aftermarket and you can get more. I have 32 gigs in mine. I'd also highly recommend you get at least 2 drives in it, both being ssd rather than traditional hard drives. If you must use traditional HDDs make sure they are 7,200rpms and not 5,400rpms. And, if the model you s3ttle on has a cdrom, which it should, buy a conversion tray for your model to add another ssd in that spot. Then you'll have one drive for your OS and programs, another for your capture drive and another for your render drive. This will get you optimum throughput and reduce choppy playback/edit.

Reactions: New York Giants
I have always custom built my workstations, but for your purposes I will stick with configurations you can likely find or customize off-the-shelf ---- Intel Quad-core i7, RAM - 16GB minimum - Drives - Large SSD as boot/working drive and additional 7200 rpm HDDs and put as much money as you can in a graphics card (such as NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 or higher) --- You will need a matching display, there are good 4K displays starting in the +$300 range. I'd also recommend investing in a NAS or storage array to utilize for archival storage/backup of material.

Excellent stuff. I'm looking for an editing laptop. I don't currently shoot 4K because I don't have the computing horsepower to do it. Obviously a significant investment.

Im using the Asus ROG Gaming laptop from my expirience it does what the macbook pro can do when it come to editting for was less cost.

I am using a last generation MBP that if you plan to use finalcut is really great.

Keep in mind that if you plan to use premiere, the macbook is not the best option, for example I had a 6 years old Dell precision m6700 with i7 extreme edition, 16gb ram, nvidia quadro and ssd; that machine was as fast as my new mbp that is 6 years newer.

Based on my experience the most important thing is the SSD drive, then the cpu , the amount of memory, last is the video card.

Not sure why you would use a laptop for editing, I could not imagine editing a photo shoot on a laptop let alone a video. If you are not stuck on using a laptop, you can get some great deals on used workstation class desktops. For example you could pick up an HP Z420 with a Xeon CPU, 32GB of memory, and an SSD OS disk for around $600. Get an NVIDIA video card and you may still be below $1000.00.

I use an old HP Z800 with 48GB of memory, dual hexacore Xeon CPUs, 512GB SSD OS drive, and NVIDIA 980sti video card. I can edit all the way up to 4K H.265 encoded source media with no problems. My whole setup was less than $1,000. Z800 came from eBay and even the video card was an open box item on Amazon. The video card drives 4 x 24" displays on a quad stand. The one thing I wish the Z800 supported is NVME M.2 for the OS disk but it's not a big deal to me. I am thinking about getting a PCIe X4 adapter card for an NVME SSD drive, and moving my catalogs and editing sources to that drive, but haven't decided yet.

I have had this setup for 4 years so far and it has performed flawlessly. If I were to get a new system today I'd probably look at the HP Z420 or Z440 desktop.

Reactions: Blessed77
My MacBook Pro works great. Quad core i7 with 16gb ram and dual gpu'shooked to a 34" Thunderbolt Display. No problems. Laptops are a viable option and they're portable. Don't rule them out. And the whole mac lineup is now compatible with H.265 as well. Yes. Pricey. But completely an alternative.

I use a laptop, Lenovo Y700 (gamer and I don't game) with a 17 inch monitor nvidia graphics card, i7, 16GB ram, 1TB HD, 256 SSD, and more. Any 4K editing is smooth, I got this unit 5 months ago and it has never crashed. I love the portability and bring my laptop on vacation. So far playing 4K video on this machine makes all the other laptops I have seen pale in comparison, the monitor really kicks and I found the price a good value for my money.

Reactions: ravedog
I use a laptop and Premiere Pro.
Editing 4k 60P is smooth with my Dell 7567 15" 4K ips screen. i7-7700 cpu, 16gb RAM (up to 32gb), 512 gb SSD, Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB graphics card.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers