What not to do (not my own video)

You might be 100% right.. But even on DJI's own official tutorial videos and manual for the P3.. They state to always turn on the RC first...

Absolutely! Not suggesting to do it as common practice. BUT we definitely all have our brainfart moments and the odds if it causing a major issue with the p3 are less likely that other crafts.
Yes, always power the TX on first! If ya remember....

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

A woman I work with told me that when her husband got the Phantom 2 he unboxed it without reading the manual and turned it on. Somehow it took off in the house, he grabbed for it and cut himself very badly.
Certainly understand the sentiment but, Not the logic....

I you have a crash as seen in the video you should stop as soon as possible the motors for to protect them and their ESC's.
Having said that, the P3 has a kind of overload protection circuits which will shut the motors down. You can only restart them if you turn of the P3 for a few seconds and then turn the power on again. I had a few times a similar situation because of flying in a to cramped space when trying to make nice banking turns. And off course ending in the bushes.

Its a pity that DJI does not mention the existence of protection circuitry and how to handle with it if a crash occurs.

Reactions: AmosMoses
Fair enough. Never happened with either my p2v or any of my p2v+'s but the p3 is a completely different animal. It's actually designed with indoor flight in mind so the comparison imho is irrelevant, no?

I have to give this ol boy nothing but credit though. If it were me that video would have never made it passed the SD card it was recorded on!
Believe it or not I think it serves a useful purpose to show the what not to dos! Is that even a word? Dos? Maybe do's? Idk but I'm going with it! Lol!

Fair enough. Never happened with either my p2v or any of my p2v+'s but the p3 is a completely different animal. It's actually designed with indoor flight in mind so the comparison imho is irrelevant, no?

I have to give this ol boy nothing but credit though. If it were me that video would have never made it passed the SD card it was recorded on!
Believe it or not I think it serves a useful purpose to show the what not to dos! Is that even a word? Dos? Maybe do's? Idk but I'm going with it! Lol!

An interesting question. I do not have a P3 yet as I am waiting for everyone else to iron out the bugs first. You know how DJI likes to use their consumers as unpaid testers. I'm assuming that you are talking about flying without GPS using the Vision Positioning Sensors in P-OPTI mode. The guy in the video had not selected a mode for the P3 to recognize as far as P-GPS mode (GPS), P-OPTI (using the sensors), or P-ATTI (no GPS or Sensors) with the controller off, correct? So one question I have is what "mode" does the Phantom 3 (if any) go into if the remote is not present at start up. We would assume none but we thought that with the P2 series also. My second question is if you are in P-OPTI mode (which he is after he turns ON his remote) does it disable the RTH feature? Does it initiate "Auto Landing" instead if you are in OPTI mode or can the Pilot set / change that in the app? Is that not a "Return to Home" button on the screen? Where is the "Home Point" in OPTI mode if there are not enough or any satellites to mark one and how does the P3 get back to that point altitude wise? Auto Land? Just to get totally off topic.... If the P3 does have Return to Home in OPTI Mode.... Say you flew the day before outside with a marked Home Point. The next day fly in area that you start off in that doesn't have any GPS signal. Let's say a cave. You start your flight off inside the cave without GPS and you're flying out of it into an area that does have GPS. For whatever reason you break connection between your controller and P3. Maybe your transmitter battery died. Then what?! The manual says it goes back to the last recorded home point. So is this thing gonna try to fly back to wherever you were flying the day before where the last known home point was marked? Or does the P3 pull in current info and mark a current home point when it has sufficient GPS signals even if its in another mode besides P-GPS?

An interesting question. I do not have a P3 yet as I am waiting for everyone else to iron out the bugs first. You know how DJI likes to use their consumers as unpaid testers. I'm assuming that you are talking about flying without GPS using the Vision Positioning Sensors in P-OPTI mode. The guy in the video had not selected a mode for the P3 to recognize as far as P-GPS mode (GPS), P-OPTI (using the sensors), or P-ATTI (no GPS or Sensors) with the controller off, correct? So one question I have is what "mode" does the Phantom 3 (if any) go into if the remote is not present at start up. We would assume none but we thought that with the P2 series also. My second question is if you are in P-OPTI mode (which he is after he turns ON his remote) does it disable the RTH feature? Does it initiate "Auto Landing" instead if you are in OPTI mode or can the Pilot set / change that in the app? Is that not a "Return to Home" button on the screen? Where is the "Home Point" in OPTI mode if there are not enough or any satellites to mark one and how does the P3 get back to that point altitude wise? Auto Land? Just to get totally off topic.... If the P3 does have Return to Home in OPTI Mode.... Say you flew the day before outside with a marked Home Point. The next day fly in area that you start off in that doesn't have any GPS signal. Let's say a cave. You start your flight off inside the cave without GPS and you're flying out of it into an area that does have GPS. For whatever reason you break connection between your controller and P3. Maybe your transmitter battery died. Then what?! The manual says it goes back to the last recorded home point. So is this thing gonna try to fly back to wherever you were flying the day before where the last known home point was marked? Or does the P3 pull in current info and mark a current home point when it has sufficient GPS signals even if its in another mode besides P-GPS?

First let me get the disclaimer out of the way. I’ve only had my P3A for two weeks now. I have had, as I stated in an earlier post, the first P2V, a P2V+, and the P2V+V3. Long before that my very first quad was the Parrot AR drone 2.0. I in NO way profess to be an expert OR a know it all but I always take the time to read, watch, and learn as much as I can absorb. My primary hobby before getting into quads was Ehelis that didn’t have all the flying assists that these things have!

Now I’ll try to answer your many questions as best I can with MY understanding and experience with the Phantoms. First you need to know what modes are “selectable” on the controller itself.

There is the P-GPS mode. That’s the upper most position. The phantom will use the GPS and the VPS together (if the VPS is turned on) and the phantom is at a low enough altitude to utilize the VPS.
EDIT:The phantom will automatically switch between GPS,OPTI and ATTI depending on what's available

Second position down is A-mode or ATTI. The phantom will only use the barometer to maintain altitude.

The third position down is F-mode or IOC. That will let you use the “intelligent orientation control”.

Now, you’re obviously used to the P2 and probably the two biggest differences are, 1. The P3 will get a sat lock almost instantly compared to the P2 which we all know would take WAY longer. 2. There is NO wifi to wait on. When you power on the P3 it will connect virtually instantly. Seriously, it’s just night and day compared to the P2.

As for the RTH, again, this is my understanding and experience I’m going off of. If I’m wrong I’m sure someone will be able to correct me and I invite that! When you first power on the P3 there is a “warm up” period that can take a good minute or so where you aren’t able to initiate a CSC AND as best I know doesn’t matter if the TX is connected or not because the bird is basically locked until the IMU is finished warming up. Now if you’re in an area with view of GPS sats that will also give the Phantom plenty of time to get a good lock and set the home point. If you’re indoors and there is no sat reception then……well, I’m not 100% sure that it will Have a “home point” to RTH to. I haven’t tested it so that’s speculation! I can only refer WAYYY back to the AR drone which relied on its VPS and what it would do if it lost signal is it would just sit an hover where it last had a signal until you moved close enough to regain control. Once again, I haven’t tested this and there is basally NO information or documentation that I have found in the poorly written manual but I would have to assume that’s what it would HAVE to do to prevent a crash. If control is never regained then I would guess it would go into a low battery failsafe and just land?? IDK for sure and I’m not willing to test it! LOL!

As far as going back to the last recorded home point that is only for the current flight since each “home point” is set at the time you power it on. No different than the P2 in that respect. If there is no sat lock then there is no home point set to return to.

You’re kind of throwing out a lot of “what ifs” that offers up a lot of different situations where as the pilot; you’d have to take responsibility for if ya put the quad in varying situations that could cause loss of GPS or some other interference. Other than the failure of one of the 4 systems GPS,VPS,compass, barromiter and tx.

If anyone here is willing to test any of my theories or knowledge I would welcome the feedback!

I’m more of a visual and verbal communicator so If I don’t make any sense I apologize in advance. I was a bit late in life when it comes to computers and using a keyboard!;):D

As for the fellow in the video. After watching again I can honestly say the worst thing he did wrong was to calibrate the compass inside the house. I'd really like to see the flight log with the stick movements. I believe he had control the entire time and the crash was caused because of his inexperience and being in a small area. Not the Phantom

Last edited:
First let me get the disclaimer out of the way. I’ve only had my P3A for two weeks now. I have had, as I stated in an earlier post, the first P2V, a P2V+, and the P2V+V3. Long before that my very first quad was the Parrot AR drone 2.0. I in NO way profess to be an expert OR a know it all but I always take the time to read, watch, and learn as much as I can absorb. My primary hobby before getting into quads was Ehelis that didn’t have all the flying assists that these things have!

Now I’ll try to answer your many questions as best I can with MY understanding and experience with the Phantoms. First you need to know what modes are “selectable” on the controller itself.

There is the P-GPS mode. That’s the upper most position. The phantom will use the GPS and the VPS together (if the VPS is turned on) and the phantom is at a low enough altitude to utilize the VPS.

Second position down is A-mode or ATTI. The phantom will only use the barometer to maintain altitude.

The third position down is F-mode or IOC. That will let you use the “intelligent orientation control”.

Now, you’re obviously used to the P2 and probably the two biggest differences are, 1. The P3 will get a sat lock almost instantly compared to the P2 which we all know would take WAY longer. 2. There is NO wifi to wait on. When you power on the P3 it will connect virtually instantly. Seriously, it’s just night and day compared to the P2.

As for the RTH, again, this is my understanding and experience I’m going off of. If I’m wrong I’m sure someone will be able to correct me and I invite that! When you first power on the P3 there is a “warm up” period that can take a good minute or so where you aren’t able to initiate a CSC AND as best I know doesn’t matter if the TX is connected or not because the bird is basically locked until the IMU is finished warming up. Now if you’re in an area with view of GPS sats that will also give the Phantom plenty of time to get a good lock and set the home point. If you’re indoors and there is no sat reception then……well, I’m not 100% sure that it will Have a “home point” to RTH to. I haven’t tested it so that’s speculation! I can only refer WAYYY back to the AR drone which relied on its VPS and what it would do if it lost signal is it would just sit an hover where it last had a signal until you moved close enough to regain control. Once again, I haven’t tested this and there is basally NO information or documentation that I have found in the poorly written manual but I would have to assume that’s what it would HAVE to do to prevent a crash. If control is never regained then I would guess it would go into a low battery failsafe and just land?? IDK for sure and I’m not willing to test it! LOL!

As far as going back to the last recorded home point that is only for the current flight since each “home point” is set at the time you power it on. No different than the P2 in that respect. If there is no sat lock then there is no home point set to return to.

You’re kind of throwing out a lot of “what ifs” that offers up a lot of different situations where as the pilot; you’d have to take responsibility for if ya put the quad in varying situations that could cause loss of GPS or some other interference. Other than the failure of one of the 4 systems GPS,VPS,compass, barromiter and tx.

If anyone here is willing to test any of my theories or knowledge I would welcome the feedback!

I’m more of a visual and verbal communicator so If I don’t make any sense I apologize in advance. I was a bit late in life when it comes to computers and using a keyboard!;):D

As for the fellow in the video. After watching again I can honestly say the worst thing he did wrong was to calibrate the compass inside the house. I'd really like to see the flight log with the stick movements. I believe he had control the entire time and the crash was caused because of his inexperience and being in a small area. Not the Phantom

Great explanation man... I wonder if now that we are able to set the home point manually thru the app itself.. if we still need to lock all sats or will it work with just minimal sats.?? I will have to check that when i get home today..

Reactions: AmosMoses
I don't think that the home point is either where it is switched on or where it picks up GPS, at least I hope not. I switch mine on inside and it probably picks up GPS crossing a bridge over a pond beside the house. On the one occasion that I had to use RTH it landed in the mowed circle I made to take off from. The RTH button on the controller doesn't seem to do anything but the pilot app either works or alternatively says it is too close.

I think that this video is a good lesson, don't fly in your house unless very, very big, he did not have much room. Don't be stupid and try it. He was lucky, could have been much worse and damage to furniture.

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1434223104.336056.jpg

It's his cats look! [emoji79] That could have gotten worse, for sure!

Reactions: Mal_PV2_Ireland
The anticipation was killing me. It actually didn't turn out as bad as I thought it was going to turn out. Only thing I can't figure out is why you would put a failed video of yourself being a moron. Just when I thought DJI made the first idiot proof quad copter, someone makes a new idiot.

Nicolas Cage.

I could count the number of things he did wrong but that would be a really long list. So I'll say what he did right....

He filmed the whole thing.

Yup, that is about all he did correctly.

I know.. let's start up a $1000 thing with 4 sharp spinning blades inside of the house before we read the manual. What could possibly go wrong? He does not even know how to start the motors for crying out loud!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20