what news have you been able to capture with your P3 / Industrial fire

Drones competing with manned helicopters for breaking news stories?

Yeah, that is safe and sane...
You can bet it will happen sooner or later. Drones will replace manned aircraft of all types for many jobs in the future including emergency reporting.

You can bet it will happen sooner or later. Drones will replace manned aircraft of all types for many jobs in the future including emergency reporting.

I have no doubt that drones will replace manned aircraft in the future.
But in the present, how does the FAA plan on keeping the skies safe, as well as the
ground below, when you have manned aircraft and a couple of Johnny-Wants-His-Name-In-The-News showing up with their Drones in the same airspace to capture breaking news?
Do you see a problem there?
Maybe one drone isn't much of a threat to the integrity of a manned helicopter, but what about 3-4 drone pilots with ego driven flying skills competing with each other and the newscopter? How to we make that safe? When our news copter crashed last year (no drone involved) killing all onboard, it also hit a car, leaving the driver with burns over 20% of his body.

I have no problems with drones replacing manned aircraft, it is the interim I worry about.

Although I don't think every hobbyist running out trying to capture news stories is judgment of the highest order to put it mildly, news helicopters are something that will eventually be obsoleted by drones along with Goodyear blimps and most aerial cinematography. The increased safety factor (yes, drones are far safer than helicopters) and massively increased cost effectiveness are undeniable. The main obstacle for media organizations to overcome adopting drones is their own on-air attack on drones. There are only a few specific situations where news helicopters have an advantage (I would think extended car chases), but the money for operating a news helicopter is extremely high compared to what you actually get. A news helicopter can fly in much more inclement weather than a drone, but its ability to gather news in said inclement weather is then extremely limited and the lower safety factors of helo ops are even further reduced. Insurance rates alone create a huge cost differential since any actuarial table (or risk assessment in general) factors in risk probability, risk severity and mitigating factors and helicopters won't fare too well actuarially.

Although I don't think every hobbyist running out trying to capture news stories is judgment of the highest order to put it mildly, news helicopters are something that will eventually be obsoleted by drones along with Goodyear blimps and most aerial cinematography. The increased safety factor (yes, drones are far safer than helicopters) and massively increased cost effectiveness are undeniable. The main obstacle for media organizations to overcome adopting drones is their own on-air attack on drones. There are only a few specific situations where news helicopters have an advantage (I would think extended car chases), but the money for operating a news helicopter is extremely high compared to what you actually get. A news helicopter can fly in much more inclement weather than a drone, but its ability to gather news in said inclement weather is then extremely limited and the lower safety factors of helo ops are even further reduced. Insurance rates alone create a huge cost differential since any actuarial table (or risk assessment in general) factors in risk probability, risk severity and mitigating factors and helicopters won't fare too well actuarially.
Yeah.
See my reply to TJ above.
Y'all seem to be missing my point.

I have no problems with drones replacing manned aircraft, it is the interim I worry about.
I'm not sure any transition period from news helicopters to drones will be a long one, besides the fact that there really aren't many news helicopters out there. The local news organizations are small enough in number that they could even possibly coordinate a transition (whether they will is a different matter).

I'm not sure any transition period from news helicopters to drones will be a long one, besides the fact that there really aren't many news helicopters out there. The local news organizations are small enough in number that they could even possibly coordinate a transition (whether they will is a different matter).
We'll see...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers