what my hobby town worker said

Reaction score
I tried to get some help upgrading my firmware through them (duluth MN) since they are listed as a dji outlet and the guy says,," he doesn't know anything about firmware upgrades on a phantom and the local rc club guys don't like quad copters cuz they will ruin their sport " he then told me that flying waypoints out of sight of your craft is illegal!
What say you?

flybynight said:
I tried to get some help upgrading my firmware through them (duluth MN) since they are listed as a dji outlet and the guy says,," he doesn't know anything about firmware upgrades on a phantom and the local rc club guys don't like quad copters cuz they will ruin their sport " he then told me that flying waypoints out of sight of your craft is illegal!
What say you?

So what you gonna do? :lol:

Just a hunch but I'm guessing he's not going to be a good source of help for you.
The good news is you can find out more here than he's ever going to tell you.

yea, i was surprised by his attitude towards quads but not by his expertise, all they sell there similar is the "blade" line of quads and nothing further up the $ chain.hard to believe they are listed as a dji dealer as thats what got me in the door.
really nice to have a good data base and fellow quad guys to talk to.
Fly On guys!

flybynight said:
yea, i was surprised by his attitude towards quads but not by his expertise, all they sell there similar is the "blade" line of quads and nothing further up the $ chain.hard to believe they are listed as a dji dealer as thats what got me in the door.
really nice to have a good data base and fellow quad guys to talk to.
Fly On guys!

Dji dealer with no inventory? thats not good :roll: . Dji should demand their authorized dealers have inventory on hand ! :lol:

nd the local rc club guys don't like quad copters cuz they will ruin their sport

lol lol So in other words the places that get fees to fly in some controlled closed boring space and thos that sell non quads dont like the composition...

But let me guess if you wanted to buy one of thos blade quads he sells he would of been more then willing to sell one

flybynight said:
What say you?

Yeah... He's not being very helpful to you for sure... Too bad... I hate when guys at hobby stores get full of snobbery.

Anyway... The FAA does have rules about line of sight in order to qualify as a hobby craft... And maintaining LOS is also good for safety reasons

I've learned that 'experts' know little. Years ago I called a cell company to ask about the number of Meg Pizels on several phones. The guy instructed this engineer that MP has nothing to do with resolution.

I have a better one. I had just gotten into X-10 devices. (Where you can use a remote to turn lights, devices and dim/brighten lights, etc. I bought my first light switch replacement module. It had two different color wires and I don't know if it mattered which went to the 'hot' wire and which went to neutral.

I was told to wire one wire to black and the other to white! I told him that he was confused as if you did that and closed the switch, you will short the circuit out. I explained that he was confusing wiring an outlet with a switch. Meh told me I was wrong.

I told him I was an engineer working for an electrical utility, with decades of experience. He stated that I was wrong! I told him to walk down to the bookstore, in the mall and just glance through a basic wiring book. He refused to believe that he was wrong. This was my first interaction with him. He was above reading a book and I later, heard him giving everyone incorrect advice.

So, because one works in a Radio Shack, RC Hobby store, Cell phone company, etc., doesn't mean they know what the heck they are talking about!

flybynight said:
What say you?

I had the same experience calling a couple HobbyTown's in the Cleveland area right after I bought my Vision+. I asked them if they carried any accessories for it and all I got was a snippy "we don't carry any Phantom stuff" and then they hung up. The tone of voice pretty much conveyed that the people who work at hobby stores are long time AMA members who have a very poor opinion about quadcopters and the people who fly them.

So I say screw the HobbyTown guys. Bunch of weirdos stuck in some kind of delusion that the future of RC aircraft is fixed-wing balsa planes that their grandpappies flew in 1935 LOL.

I also think they're jealous because a Phantom costs more than most of the stuff they carry in their stores. We have an expensive hobby and those HobbyTown guys are used to dealing with customers who only spend a few hundred bucks on a plane.

Same here at my local HobbyTown. Plenty of Blade quads but when I asked about the Phantom I got an "Oh no sir! We don't carry those because we'd never sell them due to their cost". They have no parts or accessories either. I remember seeing a Phantom 1 there a couple of years ago.

I wonder what the store owner would have to say about the Krap coming out of an employees mouth. Then again, if the folks own the store the children can say just about anything they want. What's Hobby Town? My town's so small that the Radio Shack closed. :lol:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub