What kind of distance can I expect in the desert?

Reaction score
I wondering just how far some of you have pushed the Phantom 3 to. I'm hoping to be able to get about 3 miles out, do a 360 Pano and then return. Where I will be flying has sage brush and thats about it

Thanks

That would be one of the best conditions and locations given the likelihood you'll be 'alone' in terms of radio congestion and clear LOS.

How about you report back as to what you achieved instead? ;)

Last edited:
That would be one of the best conditions and locations given the likelihood you'll be 'alone' in terms or radio congestion and clear LOS.

How about you report back as to what you achieved instead? ;)

Thanks and will do, I'll be about 30 miles west of Vegas....in October

Depends also on your location on the earth as even magnetic rays can affect communication. I'd count on 1.2 miles to 1.5 miles and be thankful if it's farther than that. 3 miles? Possible but _highly_ unlikely. You'd stand a better chance of this with a parabolic reflector.

Depends also on your location on the earth as even magnetic rays can affect communication. I'd count on 1.2 miles to 1.5 miles and be thankful if it's farther than that. 3 miles? Possible but _highly_ unlikely. You'd stand a better chance of this with a parabolic reflector.

Two miles is easy, I have achieved that at least a dozen times and where I live their are many hills and trees. I do have one of those cheap parabolic reflectors

I've gotten 3 miles stock, so you should get it. You will get better results if the homepoint is slightly more elevated (50-100') than the rest of the flight.

Reactions: FASTFJR
I've gotten 3 miles stock, so you should get it. You will get better results if the homepoint is slightly more elevated (50-100') than the rest of the flight.

Because one person gets it another should as well? I used to get 8000'. Now I get slightly less than that.

As mentioned, it's always YMMV. I'm also pretty much convinced that not all RCs and Phantoms are built in such a way as to get the same transmission distance.

Because one person gets it another should as well? I used to get 8000'.

If all things are equal yes, but we all know how that is. Right now I need to get 2.7 miles from location A to B. have enough time for a few minutes of video and a 360 pano shot then make it back. I'll be basically running up a long ridge to a plato. I might load it into Litchi so the flight is nice and straight and then adjust the height manually

Reactions: D'sAdvanced
I was out in Henderson NV 3 weeks ago (just outside vegas). I easily got out to 11000 ft, but came up on some foothills and it was hard to judge elevation, so I returned home....

I was out in Henderson NV 3 weeks ago (just outside vegas). I easily got out to 11000 ft, but came up on some foothills and it was hard to judge elevation, so I returned home....

Thanks good to know, I wish I could get closer to the location, I'm right outside a NP

I have flat desert regions not too far away, and I've gotten to a little over three miles on my P4 while flying there. My flying on P Mode and my battery was my only limit. That was even without my windsurfers and I think, my 32 channel hack.

If you have a little elevation over a long flat desert, you will go far.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr