What kind of damage can you get from the props?

Reaction score
The worst case scenario is where the props hit someone or the Phantom drops down from the air and hits someone. Although DJI Phantom dropping causes less damage than any of the bigger multicopters.

Propguards might help, but they dont remove the chances of getting damage as you can see in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji3Hii_LZOc

They aftermarket carbon props seem to do a lot of damage. And cut deep.

I've had one encounter with the plastic DJI props hitting my fingers slightly... Nothing too remarkable happened. So I'm thinking that the damage seen in the video was most likely caused by the sharp carbon props. Someone should do some myth busters type of tests with pork meet to see what kind of damage you get with different kind of props.

What kind of damage would the plastick props do in the same situation as in the video?

Not much harm at all, I intentionally held the phantom with stock props in one hand while a friend put her on full throttle and put my arm into the blades. A few stratches, just dont do it with CF props ;)

Attachments

• 20140531_004326.jpg
    20140531_004326.jpg
    725.5 KB · Views: 625
Miika said:
One more reason not ever even consider going to carbon.

Perhaps you'd have them put plastic blades on lawn mowers & plastic props on airplanes too?

What kind of f***wit was the guy in the video & what exactly was he doing?
Would you stick your hand in a blender when it's spinning? No....

Phantom_Menace66 said:
Miika said:
One more reason not ever even consider going to carbon.

Perhaps you'd have them put plastic blades on lawn mowers & plastic props on airplanes too?

What kind of f***wit was the guy in the video & what exactly was he doing?
Would you stick your hand in a blender when it's spinning? No....

Your sound like a smart person.

The reason why I stick with the plastic props is that I dont like what carbon props does to Phantoms flying charasteristics and in worst case scenario the plastic props will cause A LOT LESS damage. If my lawn mower could fly and it would have same issues as Phantom (fly-aways etc).... I would probably not fly with it ;)

I keep waiting for the video of the damage done to face, ears or eyes. Then again, those areas are programmed no-fly zones.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl