What is this?

Ok so I just checked and I have the exact same thing. It looks like a piece of protective film with a little removal tab (the part in red). Seems like an odd place for this on the bottom of the gimbal mount. Not sure what this is protecting...

My guess is to leave it. I'm testing the drone (1st flight) over the weekend if the weather behaves itself. I'll report back if I feel it's giving any issues. Have you tried it yet?

Mine had it too & I simply removed it. I suspect it may be that the originally conceived gimbal clamping mechanism may have been different than the final design. Like the P3P & P3A, that protective cover may have been to protect the area from scratches during gimbal clamp installation & removal. If you note the underside of the P3P/P3A gimbal main module has a similar protective covering where the gimbal clamp slides into place.

Just unboxed my P4, noticed a thin piece of (reddish/orange) plastic underneath the gimbal (just left of the letter T on picture), I'm presuming this is packing? Can I remove it?

View attachment 47631

Last edited:
Reactions: N017RW
Do not remove it! I did and my P4 gimbal and camera were jettisoned at 350 feet. On decent (exactly 275 feet) the smart battery was ejected. Luckily I was flying in a grassy field and the bird only sustained minor damage. On return home, I sifted through the trash basket, found the adhesive strip and re-applied it. In doing so, be sure that the orange tab is put back in it's original position - facing front and counterclockwise 40 degrees. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Do not remove it! I did and my P4 gimbal and camera were jettisoned at 350 feet. On decent (exactly 275 feet) the smart battery was ejected. Luckily I was flying in a grassy field and the bird only sustained minor damage. On return home, I sifted through the trash basket, found the adhesive strip and re-applied it. In doing so, be sure that the orange tab is put back in it's original position - facing front and counterclockwise 40 degrees. Good luck!

A good one, thumbs up! :)
PS you ment 320 degrees, actually...?

Mine had it too & I simply removed it. I suspect it may be that the originally conceived gimbal clamping mechanism may have been different than the final design. Like the P3P & P3A, that protective cover may have been to protect the area from scratches during gimbal clamp installation & removal. If you note the underside of the P3P/P3A gimbal main module has a similar protective covering where the gimbal clamp slides into place.

Hey Dirty thanks for the like earlier.

Now I know why I have the B on the side of the box. P4B version = more plastic to remove. BTW I didn't have the stickers on the OA sensors either. Was yours a B v?

My P4 is a WM330A with a GL300C RC.

DaobQ88_yHNfjmJSU-Z2FjElJyIvE59CTdZn9O9Ra_nFdZS0bEnP4kyXB5RffFDn3ueFB1qv9ON0rOjDJq6VQgOIPIspe0cuTULjn3iZF4Ukealbkp1w_AVEbKYqseobBx6DnmPTWTfnJkVn79Tfo1J-DlHh51itWdabWHJoSlHcOYB9_GzUrXujSfkLyYMSh5RhXYvobsfHAElsTqqq_XTnWUsUEGXMURZWz-NS5LBhdfFIsbfhn5zK8-oa7CIDNf2BRGrocY98Alb9TFkcBfVVbUViTALG_jknjO6xj2MFrsZL76aNPb1BWYfoA9LdwsN27TuUDtvBgyzEpzxAHyD7Al_1ZE5Wq9uvcXr47oZxV27P5f-1tN_tOGjzTa7l49gpSkXTrNl1kKE1j-KRMUYCHA5zCWO2hDty430ycrZvvFY7COmyUIpf3bTe1YipeAaDDOYoMyByY5UdoSIzr238UAETKJLm2UyVXcXHbNATTlgNC8miLEPiTKlrtLCkHqe9EVaU7UuybH0_QfYnRpxKtD1b-HQUKfk27IucK2lft-oEl6CPMLOaY4Hw_2hq6m_X-g=w357-h634-no

Hey Dirty thanks for the like earlier.

Now I know why I have the B on the side of the box. P4B version = more plastic to remove. BTW I didn't have the stickers on the OA sensors either. Was yours a B v?

Your photo reinforces my earlier suspicion. I bet DJI originally had a different style gimbal clamp planned for the P4 & the plastic shield was to protect the gimbal from scratching when it slid in place. The P4 gimbal clamp we received is different but the protective strip had already installed by the gimbal assembly plant.

does it look like this one found on my P3P?
943dc1d75034518577e70755c298dfef.jpg

Last edited:
Go for. This is how we learn of what NOT to do.
Also very important, DO NOT remove the plastic around the prop center hole.

Last edited:
I had it also and looked at it closely after taking it off.
My guess is that it was put on the lens as a protector, before assembly, and was removed when the gimble lock protection was put on, in final assembly.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik