What is the recommended critical battery/RTH trigger setting (%)?

Reaction score
Is there a recommended RTH trigger battery percentage level?

That number could vary, personally I use 30% for Low Battery and 20% for RTH. That's just me though.

Reactions: dirkclod
I use 25% for low battery and 15% for RTH. I am a photography drone nerd so I keep my aircrafts in eyesight at all times so I can be a little low. Fly Well My Friends

Thanks Fly Dawg and Sky Eye. I was a little confused about this, but you both awakened my feeble memory! I guess the "default" is how each of us fly our "missions", and like to feel comfortable about RTH at the same time.

Your Critical battery (10% default) your p3 lands no matter where it is.
Low battery (30 default) is a warning level.
Smart RTH is a return point calculated by the app. It can occur at 50% or more if you are flying away from your home point.

Do not turn the critical up. (higher than 10%) or you will be forced to land. Possibly in water or the top of a tree when you still had enough battery left to make it home.

Good Stuff Trackman1, Thanks!

Yeah, 20% warning, 10% critical here. Be-ware of your voltage in the top right corner...

RedHotPoker

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
The default 10% and 30% settings should be good for most people. If you decide to change them, make sure you carefully consider all of the important points noted above. The automated Phantom features sometimes catch people off guard when they do not realize what's happening.

Reactions: t2adze
Thanks to all! I guess there are just some things that are best left alone unless you have a specific use.

P3P
P3A

I am usually right around home when I finally hit 30%, and I land when I get the low battery warning. The lowest my batteries have been is 28%.

I would like to try getting to 10% just to see how the AC behaves when forced landing. I could put it 40 or 50 feet in the air and try it.

I did read on here somewhere that the batteries don't like being discharged too much however, and being that everything is still new, I'm trying to be 'nice' to it still...

Make sure you are in a wide open area when you take off. Tall Trees and brick buildings seem to be favorite drone magnets, when RTH or Auto Landing takes place.

RedHotPoker

Reactions: Jeffro115

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic