What is the range? People personal experiences.

Reaction score
Put deposit on p4. Will hopefully revive in next 2 weeks.

Wondered what are people getting range wise. ?
Stock?

I'm coming from a p3 standard with dbs and was getting 6500 feet max.

Wondering if I'll get even better stock with phantom 4?

I'm in uk so I think it's C.E. IS TJAT RIGHT LOL?

I have been to 8000ft with a UK transmitter, I am sure it would go much further, but I am not comfortable that far out. Never had any hint of a loss video or transmitter, these flights have always been over the deserted mud flats of Morecambe Bay, so good signal and no danger to people.

Reactions: Dazzauk
I have been to 8000ft with a UK transmitter, I am sure it would go much further, but I am not comfortable that far out. Never had any hint of a loss video or transmitter, these flights have always been over the deserted mud flats of Morecambe Bay, so good signal and no danger to people.

That's 1.5 miles I'd be very happy with that. :)

2.8 miles over water with windsurfers. I had to turn around 'cause I was scared of the battery level.
I had a standard, and I don't think It would go a mile even with an FPVLR antenna in the same location.
You'll love the 4!

2.8 miles over water with windsurfers. I had to turn around 'cause I was scared of the battery level.
I had a standard, and I don't think It would go a mile even with an FPVLR antenna in the same location.
You'll love the 4!

I'd be more than made up with that range lol. Makes you question why the heck would you need a range extender after 2.8 miles lol.

8000 feet was "my" limit with a stock P4 and sitting on high ground while flying. As the distance was starting to bother me, I turned around and came back.

Normal distances in my suburban environment (houses, cell towers, trees, water, condos, etc) is a max of around 4000 feet but that's with the video and controller getting weak and dropping out.

My regular working distance tends to be 3000 feet and closer with no problems in the city.

AD

Thanks for the replys guys. Got my hopes set high now. :)

Over water with windsurfers I've gone over 20,000 feet and nearly that without windsufers.

Reactions: tak5501
image-png.65195

Here is my longest run using windsurfers.

Put deposit on p4. Will hopefully revive in next 2 weeks.

Wondered what are people getting range wise. ?
Stock?

I'm coming from a p3 standard with dbs and was getting 6500 feet max.

Wondering if I'll get even better stock with phantom 4?

I'm in uk so I think it's C.E. IS TJAT RIGHT LOL?

3.5 miles, 7 miles round trip. P4 stock setup. I was 250 up a hillside and had LOS the whole way. Could have went farther, but the woman inside my tablet said "time for this one to come home".

CE compliance dictates less RF power for these systems, so you won't get that kind of range in the UK, or any European country.

Yeah I don't know why, stupid European rules lol.

Anyway 1 st test and I got 1.7 miles, could have gone further, had 2 weak transmission signals, but just aiming a little brought back the signal, didn't have a RTH, just brought it back myself. So more than happy.

DJI claim 2.2 miles for CE and I think I would have got that if I were patent or at least got extremely close. :)

CE compliance dictates less RF power for these systems, so you won't get that kind of range in the UK, or any European country.

I have a Phantom P3P. Totally and utterly standard - not even windsurfers. I live in the UK. With the first 300A transmitter I was getting 10,000 feet - I swapped to a 300B and I get 18,000 feet before I have to come back due to low battery. Full signal all the way! CE doesn't always mean bad range. I suspect the 300C controller is the problem. If I buy a P4 then I will keep my old transmitter.

I have a Phantom P3P. Totally and utterly standard - not even windsurfers. I live in the UK. With the first 300A transmitter I was getting 10,000 feet - I swapped to a 300B and I get 18,000 feet before I have to come back due to low battery. Full signal all the way! CE doesn't always mean bad range. I suspect the 300C controller is the problem. If I buy a P4 then I will keep my old transmitter.

VERY GOOD IDEA! Yes, keep those old controllers! The GL300C demonstrates less RF power than GL300A/B here in the US. If you link the 300A or B to your P4 craft, you may get better range. That's exactly what I did here in the US (with GL658A Inspire), but I don't know how much effect the 300A/B will have in the UK, given the CE power reduction that occurs in certain areas of the world. Please keep us informed.

Also, try this.
1. Select a custom channel that has the least traffic showing in the GO app. Click HD icon to see.
2. After you select a custom channel, on the same page, lower the "Transmission quality" to 4mbps.
3. Use a Windsurfer parabolic antenna, if you aren't already.

These 3 things can help increase range, especially if you have an old GL300A or B controller to link up to your P4.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wibble
Line of Sight range ... 500-2000 feet. FAA requires Line of Sight. For hobbyist, this can be considered a guideline. The issue is safety which applies to both hobbyist and commercial flights. Whether a hobbyist or a commercial pilot, we all love our drones and don't want the FAA to clamp down further on us. I suspect that the FAA will soon require manufacturers to sell their drones with firmware that reports their GPS position. Let's not encourage this to happen to soon. In that case, I suspect until you get your commercial license, your range and altitude will be limited seriously by the software's logging of the Home Point.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1