What is the purpose of the Anti-Drop Pins?

Reaction score
I apologise if this question seems simplistic but;

1/ what do the anti-drop pins actually do?

2/ why are only 2 fitted considering there are 4 hole positions or should there actually be 4 fitted?

3/ do they ever get changed and why/when?

4/ how often, if at all, do the rubber connectors get changed?

Thank you,

Pete.

The anti-drop pins are just that, safety devices that prevent the camera from detaching from the drone. Only two are needed. I actually added two small zip ties loosely in the other two positions to act as an extra safety feature. The rubber dampers should be replaced if they tear or appear to be stretched and the camera plate appears to be tilted at an angle.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

what do the anti-drop pins actually do?
They keep the gimbal attached to the Phantom. The rubber balls are enough to hold the gimbal in place, but a rough landing would cause them to pop out without the pins in place.

why are only 2 fitted considering there are 4 hole positions or should there actually be 4 fitted?
DJI has only ever fitted two of them. I'm assuming they only use two since it's enough to keep the gimbal from releasing.

do they ever get changed and why/when?
You only need to replace them if they are damaged in a crash and/or damaged when removing and reattaching the gimbal.

how often, if at all, do the rubber connectors get changed?
You should replace them if they are damaged. Under normal use, you shouldn't need to replace them often.

Reactions: iflyhelis
I tied loops of mason's twine loosely through the empty two rubber isolators as a precaution, and tucked the knots into the isolators. Don't put any tension on those, just loose loops. Adds almost no weight.

Reactions: RW-1
We used to use wire ties on two opposing corners, on the P2V, and tied loosely so they wouldn't add any vibration.

-slinger

I used fishing line. Lightweight and strong.

Cut the two off that are installed and replace with lossely fitted cable ties. The cable ties provide better security when needed and transfer less vibration. When my camera was replaced (warranty performed by DJI service agent) thats how it came back.

Cut the two off that are installed and replace with lossely fitted cable ties. The cable ties provide better security when needed and transfer less vibration. When my camera was replaced (warranty performed by DJI service agent) thats how it came back.
I agree. Anytime the bird is moving, inertia could pull the gimbal down agains the drop pins creating a rigid connection between the bird and gimbal that could increase vibration transmission to the camera. any light, strong and flexible material (cable ties, dental floss, etc.) make, IMO, a better safety tie. I personally like dental floss. It's light and flexible, cheap and amazingly strong. Just make sure your knots are good as it can slip if not tied properly.

I wonder if an occasional jam in the factory installed anti-drop pins is the root of tilted horizon?

If you have all 4 in the front right ones get in the way of the "standard gimbal clamp", making fitting awkward - just leave as they arrive with the 2 in - one front left-back right when looking at the camera lense :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan