what is the general consensus as to the rash of failures?

Re: what is the general consensus as to the rash of failures

verisimilitude said:
Phantom_Menace66 said:
perhaps you should note that these Phantoms including the latest P2V+ are quoted as being suitable for ALL ages....
I was looking all over the box it was sent in and there's not a single mention of the dangers of propellers or risk of injury to the operator or other people.
indeed.. Thank you :mrgreen:

You'll find age restrictions and some warnings and disclaimers in the NAZA-M(V2) controller's 'Quick Start Guide'.

Well I guess you have tell someone not to stick their hand in the prop ?

Mori55 said:
Well I guess you have tell someone not to stick their hand in the prop ?
indeed, and not to fly into walls, lakes, rivers, oceans and power lines. And read beyond the quick start guide. There is much more to it than charging the batteries and taking off.

Skipholiday said:
Phantom_Menace66 said:
I was looking all over the box it was sent in and there's not a single mention of the dangers of propellers or risk of injury to the operator or other people. It is only when you read through the manuals you come across any warnings. In fact, speaking of missing information, there's not one single sticker in or on the box, the controller or the Phantom itself to say it has passed QC checks... Almost everything I have ever bought has had some form of QC label on it. What does that say about DJI quality control?
HAHA how funny. Look on the outside of the box not the inside. you are looking for things on the box so you can blame someone else for your immaturity? LOL I'm glad the box is not wrapped in plastic or you might suffocate and please do not swallow the small parts.. :-/
If you purchase a firearm it will have a triggerr lock and maybe one warning sticker. Thousand dollar DSLR cameras are not covered with warning labels. These are marketed as flying cameras. You should use common sence. I'm not here to debate you!

What a ridiculous statement to make that I'm looking for someone else to blame for my immaturity!? Speaking of immaturity & clearly some degree of illiteracy, I think I'm mature enough to recall the word 'trigger' has one 'R' & 'sense' is spelled with an 'S' not a 'C'.

Phantom_Menace66 said:
Skipholiday said:
Phantom_Menace66 said:
I was looking all over the box it was sent in and there's not a single mention of the dangers of propellers or risk of injury to the operator or other people. It is only when you read through the manuals you come across any warnings. In fact, speaking of missing information, there's not one single sticker in or on the box, the controller or the Phantom itself to say it has passed QC checks... Almost everything I have ever bought has had some form of QC label on it. What does that say about DJI quality control?
HAHA how funny. Look on the outside of the box not the inside. you are looking for things on the box so you can blame someone else for your immaturity? LOL I'm glad the box is not wrapped in plastic or you might suffocate and please do not swallow the small parts.. :-/
If you purchase a firearm it will have a triggerr lock and maybe one warning sticker. Thousand dollar DSLR cameras are not covered with warning labels. These are marketed as flying cameras. You should use common sence. I'm not here to debate you!

What a ridiculous statement to make that I'm looking for someone else to blame for my immaturity!? Speaking of immaturity & clearly some degree of illiteracy, I think I'm mature enough to recall the word 'trigger' has one 'R' & 'sense' is spelled with an 'S' not a 'C'.
HAHA you fail to read the precautions that clearly state what you stated was not stated "I was looking all over the box it was sent in and there's not a single mention of the dangers of propellers". Now you resort to spell check errors and fail at that. WOW Go read your manual and quit looking for others faults and look at your own.. good game~! BTW I understand why you crashed and burned now. Maybe you meant since with an i and not an e.. instead of an s with a c..(since preposition, conjunction, & adverb:for the reason that: because) https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/since

Flyer91 said:
Well .... and then there are probably some folks that need to be told it ain't a marital aid either! :roll:
Where's Darwinism when ya need it ........ ??? :lol:

Are you sure? It does vibrate a bit & if you take the props off it's relatively safe. Just be sure to set a good home point before it vanishes into a cavern somewhere! :lol:

Mine flies perfect ..... so could care less !! ......... especially when forum comments turn into personal battles like this one, you guys are getting as funny as some of the crash videos and flyaway fairy tales. :lol:

Well they all fly perfect , until it happens to you !

Mori55 said:
Well they all fly perfect , until it happens to you !

Been that way since I started.

"My car battery is dead. I don't understand why. It worked last time I started the car."
"My hard drive crashed. I don't understand why. It worked last time I turned on my computer."
"My Phantom flew erratically and I couldn't control it and it crashed. I don't understand why. It worked perfectly the last time I flew it."

That's the definition of a failure. It works one moment and not the next. That's how things break.

Don't ask me why I posted this.

Your car broke down?
Must be driver error because mine has never done that in 100,000 miles.

syotr said:
Your car broke down?
Must be driver error because mine has never done that in 100,000 miles.
firmware and it's DJI's fault

I too have been watching these forums for flyaway issues. I have had no issues whatsoever with my P2V+ and many successful flights. No hard landings, no chipped rotors, no crashes into trees, no gimbal issues etc.

Perhaps I am one of the "lucky ones" who got an P2V+ without issues.

With regards to all of the flyaway stories - there is no consistency with reporting the issues that the operators had. I am flying my P2V+ stock in Phantom mode. No updates. No modifications using the Phantom 2 Assistant software.

If some of the posters who experienced flyaways could be more specific about their setup it would really help to pinpoint the problem. Are these guys modifying their Phantoms? Are they changing their flight characteristics using Phantom 2 Assistant software? Are they flying in Naza-M mode versus Phantom mode? Did they have GPS signal lock before take off? If these questions were answered perhaps a common trait would emerge!

dezunka said:
I too have been watching these forums for flyaway issues. I have had no issues whatsoever with my P2V+ and many successful flights. No hard landings, no chipped rotors, no crashes into trees, no gimbal issues etc.

Perhaps I am one of the "lucky ones" who got an P2V+ without issues.

With regards to all of the flyaway stories - there is no consistency with reporting the issues that the operators had. I am flying my P2V+ stock in Phantom mode. No updates. No modifications using the Phantom 2 Assistant software.

If some of the posters who experienced flyaways could be more specific about their setup it would really help to pinpoint the problem. Are these guys modifying their Phantoms? Are they changing their flight characteristics using Phantom 2 Assistant software? Are they flying in Naza-M mode versus Phantom mode? Did they have GPS signal lock before take off? If these questions were answered perhaps a common trait would emerge!
eXactly/

here's what I think happens with most flyaway and crashes. UPS delivers the Phantom. 50 year old virgin rips package open while on the way to backyard for takeoff. Batteries inserted twice (1st time was backwards and no love). Props spun on same direction and two fall off. WTF.. Google helps and we have props installed with vice grips!

Look for START button none found. Quick google search finds CSC start. Phantom starts..50 year old virgin jumps up and down while screeching like a mad cat on a trampoline. Quickly goes left right up down with left stick 'again no-love'.

Phantom sits blinking and buzzing like a mad bee,,
Google again to find out left stick is ASCEND. This time taking it eeeassy UP with left stick Phantom plops oVer rototilling up small patch of lawn.

50 year old virgin shakes it off, rights the Phantom and tries again. This time its FULL throttle up up up and awaaaay WTF??. WAIT WAIT
Wait wait WHERE DID IT GO?? THERE IT IS. Right stick full throttle wait wait thats not the throttle, where's it going? Left stick UP took it off so left stick down should bring it back. Full down. CRASH..
Head lowered 50 year old virgin walks past frightened neighbors to gather Phantom pieces from the front of their SUV in their driveway one block oVer.

Google again "where to buy Phantom Vision+Plus parts"
2nd post on Phantom Pilots. My phantom just took off, like it had a mind of its own.(1st post was"returned Vision for Vision Plus-can't wait) I read the manual front to back in English and Swahili. I also watched a ton of American Chopper videos and csi, they used a drone to look for a body in a swamp. . I don't know what happened and DJI won't help. Think they will warranty this POS? I think they need better quality control. :-/

[quote="dezunka"

If some of the posters who experienced flyaways could be more specific about their setup it would really help to pinpoint the problem. Are these guys modifying their Phantoms? Are they changing their flight characteristics using Phantom 2 Assistant software? Are they flying in Naza-M mode versus Phantom mode? Did they have GPS signal lock before take off? If these questions were answered perhaps a common trait would emerge![/quote]

Sensible stuff.
I had an incident in the first week of flying that I posted about. Absolutely stock P2V+ in Phantom mode with 3.0 firmware at the time. I had satellite lock and had calibrated the compass before flight.
I am currently completely up to date the latest firmware and have about 20 hrs flying time since the incident with no problems whatsoever.
Looking back I firmly believe that it was a satellite problem as every product containing a GPS receiver I have ever owned has suddenly jumped around for no apparent reason then gone back to normal from time to time. This is caused by Solar flares as the satellites are outside the earths atmosphere and very susceptible to being affected by them as a result.
As a result I do not believe it is a Firmware issue but I do believe it can be sorted with a software fix. If the Phantom receives a wi-fi signal that it believes did not come from a human it ignores it. Surely it could do the same for strange satellite data that seems to be jumping around all over the place.

Not to tread on this thread but Skipholiday - that was some funny stuff!!

Sorry I haven't read every post in the thread, but I'll give my take on it. The Vision+ in my case has been amazingly solid, even after a few mishaps where I thought I would have suffered some permanent damage to the craft. What I'd like to know is the percentage of users that are totally new to R/C, who suffered flyaways, or other total failures while flying. There is a certain amount of knowledge after being in the hobby for some time (in my case 30+ years) where you have a good handle on what you can get away with with these craft. One case comes to mind, posted on YouTube and I think a member of this forum, where he was flying from inside his car because it was raining out, and wondered why the Phantom was acting erratically. Anyone experience in R/C would never attempt such a stunt, especially with a $1300.00+ craft.

So, I suspect a small percentage of Phantoms fail due to the one of the great many parts it's made of failing, and considering they didn't use the very finest components available in most cases the failure is more likely. That said, I'd bet the majority of failures are due to pilot error, such as not waiting for GPS lock, or if using Naza mode, accidentally going into manual mode. Oh, another reason for failures might be charging the battery immediately after landing, before a cooling period. WE don't know the quality of the cells themselves, and what kind of abuse they can take. Just my $.02

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl