what is the general consensus as to the rash of failures?

Re: what is the general consensus as to the rash of failures

Flyer91 said:
Skipholiday said:
Flyer91 said:
Yup, I sent mine back for some intermittent flight issues, and took the refund this time.
I'll wait until it's significantly less a "luck of the draw" that you'll get a good one, before I buy again.

I see many people have no problems at all, and I see some that get really decent videos, while others (that I know are not new to flying quads/RC in general) have major issues, and the variances in the quality of videos being posted is beyond that of just managing the different camera settings and different environments.

These things are just not consistent enough in performance from one to the next for me to jump back in right now.
Hopefully DJI can(and will) settle this before they release another set of new, more featured ....... but still just "luck of the draw" products, so when you buy one you can have a reasonable amount of confidence that it will perform properly, and you won't be as subject to getting a pig wearing lipstick as you currently are. :cry:
I'm not sure if DJI has issues or you or your location are bad for UAV's. Looking back at your past post you returned 3 Visions and now 4 Vision plus's. At some point I believe I would look at myself as the cause.. Just saying.. Maybe you should stick with.. Hot wheels or something on the ground..

Actually if you 'really' read my posts you will see I have returned three P2V's and one Plus.
And as I also posted ..... the first of the 3 P2V's was because it was an "open box" that had parts missing when it got here (battery and other items) and that Amazon replaced it with a brand new P2V at no additional cost.
The first 'new' P2V had a very poor camera (as do many of them) and the second also had a less than optimum camera, but more importantly ...... the altimeter read from + to - 60' on the ground.

The Plus (as I also stated) would just go semi-nuts for a few seconds while the air (like it was settling under power) but did it in normal flight and in a hover.
It was only a minor annoyance at first but got both more frequent and progressively worse the more it was flown.
So I returned it for a refund.

As I stated in my post above ...... I 'do' see people with no problems whatsoever, but you would have to adopt an ostrich's approach to reality to think that you are not subject to the luck of the draw that you'll get a good one.

As far as my ability to fly RC aircraft ..... I have flown both planks and rotary since 1976.
I started my rotary hobby with a DuBro Tristar which was a no gyro, no collective pitch, .28cc powered, cyclic pitch only heli.
It was a real bear to do anything beyond getting out of ground effect, but I managed to persevere enough to graduate ti its bigger brother, the DuBro Shark .. hich did have collective pitch but still not gyro.

The picture below is a picture of my hobby room at old home in eh Bay Area.
The Bicentennial F15 is a Philip Avonds kit powered by a JPX propane turbine.
The helis are 30 to 90 powered glows, some gassers and a Mikado electric, kits from various mfg's.

232323232%7Ffp3%3A3%3Enu%3D3235%3E%3A5%3A%3E7%3B4%3E2326%3A5%3A8%3A57%3C2ot1lsi

I've written an article that was published in Rotary magazine, and judged contests at the Bayside RC club field for the Century/Heli-World Heli Jamboree.

If you think that you are not subject to the luck of the draw when buying one of these Phantoms, then you need to stick to eating more fish and smoking less crack. :lol:

** Amen brother! Loved it.... Smoke less crack!? bah ha ha... Brillliant **

So reading all these posts it does seem like the overwhelming "opinion" is that there is a combination of faulty firmware and hit or miss construction.

Kinda like the buyer beware over buying a first run new model year car.

As much as I would love to have one right nowI think the frustration level with a lemon could drive me crazy. I think I am gonna let things settle themselves out.

Cult Hero said:
So reading all these posts it does seem like the overwhelming "opinion" is that there is a combination of faulty firmware and hit or miss construction.

Kinda like the buyer beware over buying a first run new model year car.

As much as I would love to have one right nowI think the frustration level with a lemon could drive me crazy. I think I am gonna let things settle themselves out.

I think you are right! Good to let us first adopters work things out. I have waited too long to send my + back and have been reading about all the fly away issues and have been nervous about my next flight. My + seemed to work ok bit I have very little time using it. Actually the last time I flew it I hit a tree branch and it flew away like a fly away. I somehow got it back and found one of the pros missing a half inch in length and two others a little bent. Controll systm was going crazy trying to bring this thing home. I am going to go to a big open area to get more experience before next flight.

But, before my next flight I am gong to do some inspecting. I am going to one her up and inspect the slider joints. I saw a post on here that had photos of solder joints and it looked like a first grader did the work. I will inspect and re solder as needed. I will also inspect all the cables to ensure they are seated correctly. Someone posted about adding silicon to bond the connector pair. I'm not sure I want to do that, but I want to make sure they are completely and securely mated.

I can do an inspection of the build as I have a lot of experience in PCB assembly. I also have a lot of experience with software. I am really concerned about the software. I have not updated any firmware since receiving. I'm really conflicted about upgrading. There is just to little data to know if the major issues are caused by software or hardware. In my work experience it usually is a little of both. I can see and have seen shoddy workmanship, but the software development is another matter,

Right now I am going to inspect workmanship and leave the software at 3.0. Any comments will be appreciated.

In a previous post, I guessed from reading this forum during the past 4 months that the most problems seem to occur with Phantoms mounted with a GoPro camera and the Zenmuse H3-2D gimbel. I have a stock P2V and have had no problems in 4 months of flying aside from two crashes within the first week that were clearly a result of my own inexperience. I will admit, however, that even now I am nervous before every flight. So far, so good.

2 main problems with my Phantom 2 Vision + so far I have experienced and seen myself. 1. The landing gear should be much taller and wider. ( Yes, I have seen the after market ones and plan on buying a set ) However, why in the world would they make such a sensitive setup like a 3 axis gimble and camera and then have it set only 1/2" or less off the ground? What if the landing area grass is wet? What if the landing areas isn't perfectly level? Common sense folks! The other thing I unfortunately have first hand knowledge of, is that I found that the camera can easily come off the gimbal motor even from a minor mishap, and be left suspending by the paper thin ribbon cable which tears easily. Now I have a second one while waiting for the repair of the first. Was told minimum turn around for repair, IF they can repair it is 4 weeks or more. Major Bummer
I might add that my mishap occurred when I was flying fairly close to a group of trees operating in Phantom / GPS mode......it was too far for me to be sure of the orientation of the quad so I used the indicator on my app to make sure which way it was pointed. With the front pointed directly back at me I flew it forward thinking it would head away from the trees, instead it flew directly into them. Was it pilot error? Perhaps, but I don't think so. Though I am fairly new at this, I knew to take time to make sure which way it was turned and took the correct action...however it flew in the opposite direction.

All that aside, just like the rest of you here, I am totally addicted to this thing and LOVE it. I sure hate to see all the negative press the UAVs are getting. If I am correct, now I think they have outlawed them in National Parks! Very Sad indeed!

snsproaudiovisual said:
I might add that my mishap occurred when I was flying fairly close to a group of trees operating in Phantom / GPS mode......it was too far for me to be sure of the orientation of the quad so I used the indicator on my app to make sure which way it was pointed. With the front pointed directly back at me I flew it forward thinking it would head away from the trees, instead it flew directly into them. Was it pilot error? Perhaps, but I don't think so. Though I am fairly new at this, I knew to take time to make sure which way it was turned and took the correct action...however it flew in the opposite direction.

All that aside, just like the rest of you here, I am totally addicted to this thing and LOVE it. I sure hate to see all the negative press the UAVs are getting. If I am correct, now I think they have outlawed them in National Parks! Very Sad indeed!
You answer your own question and then fail to realize that indeed it was pilot error. The compass on the app if eVerything is calibrated works period. You were too close to trees, you failed to read the app correct or did not calibrate correct. No way this is the Phantoms fault. Some people need to accept responsibility for thier actions!

I feel really bad for those who have had a bad experience and I'm thankful that I have not had a problem. I've been paying close attention to these forums and I see no evidence of an inherent and reoccurring problem with the Phantom 2 Vision Plus or the flight control software. These flyaways, crashes and falls from the sky seem to be a combination of pilot error and/or mechanical or electrical failure. A sketchy solder shakes loose, down she goes. A motor seizes, the others go nuts and it flies away. The sun spews and the GPS goes out to lunch.

DJI is experiencing growing pains and their quality control should be more robust. Those who have lost crafts or had them fall from the sky are justifiably angry. I know I would be! That anger is being vented in these forums making it appear that the frequency of failure is higher than it really is. Many of us are tickled pink with our new toys. I hope I have many more months of failure free flying. I also know that when I send something that is capable of flying 30+ MPH over 400 feet into the air attached to me only by a radio signal, I'm taking a big risk. If it DOESN'T crash, I consider myself lucky. Aint it thrilling to be an early adopter?!

D_Tshudy said:
I feel really bad for those who have had a bad experience and I'm thankful that I have not had a problem. I've been paying close attention to these forums and I see no evidence of an inherent and reoccurring problem with the Phantom 2 Vision Plus or the flight control software. These flyaways, crashes and falls from the sky seem to be a combination of pilot error and/or mechanical or electrical failure. A sketchy solder shakes loose, down she goes. A motor seizes, the others go nuts and it flies away. The sun spews and the GPS goes out to lunch.

DJI is experiencing growing pains and their quality control should be more robust. Those who have lost crafts or had them fall from the sky are justifiably angry. I know I would be! That anger is being vented in these forums making it appear that the frequency of failure is higher than it really is. Many of us are tickled pink with our new toys. I hope I have many more months of failure free flying. I also know that when I send something that is capable of flying 30+ MPH over 400 feet into the air attached to me only by a radio signal, I'm taking a big risk. If it DOESN'T crash, I consider myself lucky. Aint it thrilling to be an early adopter?!

Well said...

Ok, so if it isn't a firmware issue, why are so many experiencing problems. I am not trying to be argumentative, I really hope this thread to be constructive and separate emotion from reality, facts from fiction.

It seems that the quality control leaves a lot be desired if a $1500 device can suffer from poor construction and soldering. Has anyone put together a tutorial etc for checking condition of the phantom (soldering wise) before flying for the first time?

It is good to see all the positives as I do believe in the ER nature of this forum, but if there are things that new users can do to increase their chances of success and decrease their chances for failure that would be great.

When I hear of things like motors seizing I get a little paranoid.

Cult Hero said:

I haven't seen a single case of a motor seizing. One guy reported his prop flew off, and speculated the motor must have seized. He also reported he flew the craft again, with the same motor! If the motor seized, it seized. It didn't miraculously repair itself. I think the vast majority of Vision+ units are flying just fine, my own being one of them. But in a forum like this you are going to get a disproportionate amount of problem reports because those of us enjoying our Phantoms are out flying and not complaining. Yes, there are faulty units. That's going to happen, and the results are going to be bad when you have a delicate gimbal/camera assembly and things fall from the sky. The real kicker here is no spare parts. DJI needs to build up a supply of spare assemblies and individual parts to maintain the fleet.

D_Tshudy said:
Aint it thrilling to be an early adopter?!

I so think that's the right attitude to have!!

Dirty Bird said:
" But in a forum like this you are going to get a disproportionate amount of problem reports because those of us enjoying are Phantoms are flying and not complaining. "

Compounding this is the ability of people to accurately describe what they saw, did, remember, etc.

Eyewitness accounts are amongst the least reliable when to comes to the truth.

One last thing that seems to be an issue that could explain some crashes. There seems to be certain flying factors that inexperienced pilots seem to stumble into that lead to crashes. Read a few of those this week where quad got stuck in its own wash etc.

Learned the tip to always descend while moving horizontal to the ground. Lots of things to take in for the new pilot.

Cult Hero said:
Ok, so if it isn't a firmware issue, why are so many experiencing problems. I am not trying to be argumentative, I really hope this thread to be constructive and separate emotion from reality, facts from fiction.

It seems that the quality control leaves a lot be desired if a $1500 device can suffer from poor construction and soldering. Has anyone put together a tutorial etc for checking condition of the phantom (soldering wise) before flying for the first time?

It is good to see all the positives as I do believe in the ER nature of this forum, but if there are things that new users can do to increase their chances of success and decrease their chances for failure that would be great.

I think the main problem is nooby pilots , not having a clue. You get a new + take it out of the box charge it up and fly around trees houses or out of sight then wonder why it crashed. Not defending DJI , but some of these people are clueless ! No idea that the transmitter 5.8 doesn't work through objects and you loose signal and it RTH right into tree or whatever.

Mori55 said:
Cult Hero said:

I think the main problem is nooby pilots , not having a clue. You get a new + take it out of the box charge it up and fly around trees houses or out of sight then wonder why it crashed. Not defending DJI , but some of these people are clueless ! No idea that the transmitter 5.8 doesn't work through objects and you loose signal and it RTH right into tree or whatever.
eXactley. But if you mention that or point out the mistake they made you will be attacked. Many would rather blame DJI than eXcept responsibilty for thier own actions. Altho I did read of one honest owner whom owned up to flying into a concrete wall. (I have respect for him)..The rest are children in adult bodies and a hazard to the hobby..

Skipholiday said:
Mori55 said:
Cult Hero said:

eXactley. But if you mention that or point out the mistake they made you will be attacked. Many would rather blame DJI than eXcept responsibilty for thier own actions. Altho I did read of one honest owner whom owned up to flying into a concrete wall. (I have respect for him)..The rest are children in adult bodies and a hazard to the hobby..

I personally take offence to your suggestion that I am a child in an adult body and a hazard to the hobby. Were you born with flying experience were you? I have been flying these quads for 18mths and r/c aircraft on & off for 30yrs. I can tell you unequivocally that my P2V+ fell out of the sky due to complete power loss. It has happened twice since & DJI refuse to recognize that there is an issue with it.
Do you think anyone who has recently acquired a motor vehicle licence & had an accident should be labelled a child and a hazard to the rest of the motoring public?
Before you start generalizing & putting everyone in the same category, perhaps you should note that these Phantoms including the latest P2V+ are quoted as being suitable for ALL ages. They have been fitted with features such as GPS, failsafe etc to allow ease of control by novice pilots.
Perhaps DJI need to be accountable for misleading advertising by implying that anyone can fly these things with limited or no experience. They fail to mention they can be affected by things like interference from almost everything electrical, wifi, solar radiation, VRS etc etc.
I was looking all over the box it was sent in and there's not a single mention of the dangers of propellers or risk of injury to the operator or other people. It is only when you read through the manuals you come across any warnings. In fact, speaking of missing information, there's not one single sticker in or on the box, the controller or the Phantom itself to say it has passed QC checks... Almost everything I have ever bought has had some form of QC label on it. What does that say about DJI quality control?

I would love to be a fly on the wall at dji manufacturing. Would love to see how they test these, if they do at all. I am pretty sure they dont. I think they test the prototype and one or two out of production. Then just build them and ship them. This is obvious I know.

Phantom_Menace66 said:
I was looking all over the box it was sent in and there's not a single mention of the dangers of propellers or risk of injury to the operator or other people. It is only when you read through the manuals you come across any warnings. In fact, speaking of missing information, there's not one single sticker in or on the box, the controller or the Phantom itself to say it has passed QC checks... Almost everything I have ever bought has had some form of QC label on it. What does that say about DJI quality control?
HAHA how funny. Look on the outside of the box not the inside. you are looking for things on the box so you can blame someone else for your immaturity? LOL I'm glad the box is not wrapped in plastic or you might suffocate and please do not swallow the small parts.. :-/
If you purchase a firearm it will have a triggerr lock and maybe one warning sticker. Thousand dollar DSLR cameras are not covered with warning labels. These are marketed as flying cameras. You should use common sence. I'm not here to debate you!

The consensus so far is that there is no consensus. This state will continue indefinitely... :roll: ...so it's on to another topic for me. As the man says, "Nothing to see here. Move along."

Phantom_Menace66 said:
perhaps you should note that these Phantoms including the latest P2V+ are quoted as being suitable for ALL ages....
I was looking all over the box it was sent in and there's not a single mention of the dangers of propellers or risk of injury to the operator or other people.

Attachments

• flailing.jpg
    flailing.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 280

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik